Had to have my dog put to sleep yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mam and dad had their dog put to sleep in August, it was a horrible gut wrenching experience and none of us are really over it. She was a Bedlington Terrier and wouldn't harm a fly, the kids miss her as do the rest of us. She was 15 and had a good life but she had deteriorated massively this year so was for the best but that didn't make it any less harder for us. Sorry to hear about your loss mate.

I'm with the OP on this one and others who have shared their own experiences

it does ease with time but I took lots of pictures of my dogs over the years, which helps me look back with happiness

sentimental tosh? Too right and I don't give a crap for others who laugh and take the mick out of a persons loss.

rip jess and all the boys and girl dogs, I've loved over the years

Too much info there Stephen :eek: ;)

GUILT? Have word with yourself man!

I don't know you, never met you, but just from your post I can tell that your dog was a well loved member of the family who had a good life.
You've nowt to feel guilty about.

We lost our Springer a few weeks ago (incidentally named Jess) and it was heartbreaking. She was fit and well then we came home to find she had had the cannine equivalent of a stroke and had to be put to sleep. It was a total bolt out of the blue as we thought she had years left. I still expect her to come running whenever I get in from work and all the other things she used to do.
A way of helping to cope for me and this really works, is thinking to myself "could she realistically of had a better life?" She really couldn't of, as she was treat better than any of us and allways happy. I've no doubt your dog had the same.
I still miss her terribly but unfortunately that's one of the downsides you have to accept as a pet owner. It really is the same as losing one of the family as effectively that's what they are.
Strangely enough our Jess also loved people but wouldn't entertain other dogs, must be in the name!

Chin up, it gets easier mate.
The young Sikh chef at the tandoori i deliver for is going on holiday, so we are taking Lola, (her name was lola, she was a showgirl) for a few days. The lad is going home to India to to introduce his topper wee boy to his family over xmas. We have booked to take lola for the month he is away. :D

Sorry, meant to say 'lola' is a Springer.

Last edited:
Firstly, I'll apologise in advance for this. I'm going to spout off and write war and peace and I realise it's 'only a dog' and no-one really cares but I'm writing this with tears rolling down my face and I need to do it. In typical SMB style, I expect a few 'Man the fuck ups' but I don't care.

Anyhow, I had to put my dog, Jess, to sleep yesterday. She had an agressive form of cancer and had lost 6kg in two months. It was truly the most horrendous and emotionally draining experience of my life. Although the 'procedure' went as well as it could, I don't think I'd prepared mentally for what it would entail. I'll admit I'm struggling to cope with the enormity of it at the minute. I feel hollow and I'm crying all the time, despite never being emotional normally (Christ, I can't remember the last time I did cry). Little things around the house aren't happening any more because of her absence and the house feels lost.

I know this is a cliche but Jess was like a kid to us. My wife and I struggled to conceive for years so decided to get a dog instead. We got her from the kennels aged about 1, despite written comments that she was greedy. We'd visited the kennels about four times and each time her eyes were sparkling and tail was wagging. Call it fate, but we had to have her. My son was born a couple of years later and he has been since diagnosed with autism. The dog had a sense of when my son was feeling low or had a meltdown and could settle him down with her presence. She was always in the middle of us, wanting cuddles, just a proper soft people's dog and never a hint of aggression. Yet she hated other dogs and barked incessantly at them on walks.

I'm feeling every emotion going. Guilt, anger, shock, lack of appetite and lack of get up and go. Does it get any easier and when? Because this is f***ing horrible.
It certainly buggers you up mate... but times a great healer... you'll keep recalling the days you had with him which never go... and your posts not about "its only a dog"

I had to do it 3 years ago with my little mongrel she was 19 at the time,as long as you know you gave your dog a safe loving home you have no reason to feel guilty.

I've been putting off reading this thread because I knew I would be in bits. And I am.

Had my cat put to sleep in April. He was me bairn, my wee fella. He was 12. I still find myself missing him and still have so much guilt about getting him put down. He had lymphoma in the end and I have to stop myself thinking about the night we took him to the emergency vets otherwise I just crumble. (I'm away now).

My only advice would be to not to succumb to trying to hold it in. Let it out. Cry as loudly as you can; grieve as much as feels
right to you. It's not "just a dog". It's your family, it really is.

And some people might think this is daft, but the Blue Cross charity have a Pet Bereavement helpline for people who want to talk to someone about their grief. There are a few in here who have been affected by loss by the sound of things so I don't care if I get stick for this ;

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-bereavement-support

Thanks to each and everyone of you for your words of advice and support. I've had a few days since writing the original post to try to come to terms with what has happened and not having Jess around. I'm still not on an even keel but I'm slowly getting there and starting to remember the good times, instead of just the last months and, especially, the day of her euthanasia.

I was going to reply earlier but I just couldn't face reading the responses.

I've come to realise our house needs a dog, especially my son, but we're going to give it a few months to get our heads right.

Sitting reading this at work, filling up.

We had to say goodbye to our lovely German Shepherd - only 9 years old - on July 1st this year. Two days before we flew out on holiday - vet said there was nothing he could do for her and we didn't want to leave her with relatives who may have had to make the ultimate decision for her on our behalf. She didn't look or act ill, but had an inoperable (due to it's proximity to her heart and lungs) non-cancerous growth in her chest that was pressing on her windpipe and slowly choking her. Eventually, she couldn't lie down as it meant she couldn't breathe. The look of confusion on her face when she was forced to stand up to get a breath was heart-breaking.

It was the hardest decision of our lives, and the worst holiday of our lives.

She was a beautiful dog - in nature as well as appearance - we only ever heard her bark once in all the time we had her. We got her from a rescue centre and I honestly think that those dogs know and appreciate that they are getting a second chance with someone who really wants them.

I still miss her presence every day - the pre-work, early morning walks in the pissing rain, her lying in the most inappropriate spots and getting under our feet, and especially the absolute joy she expressed when you came home from work etc.

It gets easier, believe me, but it takes time. Just remember the good times and the love and happiness that you gave her and vice-versa.

RIP Jess (If you see a big, daft Shepherd named Keira knocking about up there, tell her Dad says hello).
Sorry to hear that mate. I'll be devastated when my shepherd goes (not for a few years yet hopefully)

Thanks to each and everyone of you for your words of advice and support. I've had a few days since writing the original post to try to come to terms with what has happened and not having Jess around. I'm still not on an even keel but I'm slowly getting there and starting to remember the good times, instead of just the last months and, especially, the day of her euthanasia.

I was going to reply earlier but I just couldn't face reading the responses.

I've come to realise our house needs a dog, especially my son, but we're going to give it a few months to get our heads right.
By the sounds of it mate any dog would be lucky to be part of your family.

Gutted for you. Love dogs and can't imagine having to do that, but it's for the best of the dog.

Also gutted for @Amnorrageordie
I've clicked on your picture loads to look at that dog, it reminds me of one that I have a great relationship with although he's not actually mine, and sorry about reading that in this thread.

Thanks to each and everyone of you for your words of advice and support. I've had a few days since writing the original post to try to come to terms with what has happened and not having Jess around. I'm still not on an even keel but I'm slowly getting there and starting to remember the good times, instead of just the last months and, especially the day of her euthanasia.

It's been two months since we had our dog put to sleep.
He was only 7 but his health deteriorated rapidly and we could no nothing for him.
Saying goodbye to him was one of the hardest things I've ever done.
We still miss and think about him every day.
At the time I thought I'd never want another one.....but the place isn't the same without him.
I expect many on here have gone through this and understand how difficult it is for you.

Everyone thinks their dog was the best and I am no different. It didn't lie easy with me,having to play God cos I had a decision to make and I decided it was the end of the road for her.
A few days after she'd been put to sleep I bumped into a puppy that was the same breed and colour as ours and it made me realise how old our dog really was. I felt better for that.
Two years on and when I'm driving and see a gold and white Lhasa Apso it just makes me smile. You will get over it mate.

I'm feeling every emotion going. Guilt, anger, shock, lack of appetite and lack of get up and go. Does it get any easier and when? Because this is f***ing horrible.
It does mate, just takes time.

You mentioned not being prepared - we had the same when we lost our cats about 10 years back. We had an idea the first one was in trouble, he was going in for an exploratory op an the vets never woke him up. My dad even brought him home so we could say goodbye - slightly strange thing to do, but we were all just lost.

The second cat went the next year, quick trip to the vets to see why she was struggling to wee, and she never came back. Total shock.

Those were cats we got when I was about 7ish and died when I was about 22 - so basically my entire life. It was f***ing awful being in house without them. Xmas morning was miserable, months later, with no cats jumping on all the wrapping paper.

But it does get easier. Eventually you might decide to get another on. My folks have 3 cats now, and we have 2 of our own :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back