Gus Poyet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was only a couple of month ago he labelled the club "rotten to the core", he has spent the last few weeks taking pops at Congerton in every interview he does. Take off your red and white blinkers and you'll be able to see what's unfurling right in front of your eyes.
Did he say rotten to the core? Or did the SMB paraphrase that from something very different?
Where are these pops at Congerton?
I reckon you're just dead sensitive, bet you're always in a huff with someone.

These cretins are the ones who shout loudest on here and the weak-minded just lap it up.

Oh yeah, where are the direct quotes criticising him?

"I would have liked the players in sooner" translates as "Lee Congerton is useless" does it?

Who do you think he's talking to when he mentions "drastic" action needs to be taken on transfers or setting a deadline for the club to get players in? Tea lady? Ball boy? Groundsman? Or maybe the bloke that's getting paid thousands of pounds to bring players into the club? Never mind, as long as we have people like you about who can never see anything negative then that's all great....

Got to admit i wasn't 100% about Gus Poyet before he got the job. From a distance i always thought he was a bit of an odd character but in that respect he's won me over a bit, he's ok. I'd even say i quite like him now.
In football terms he's done a decent/good job which has featured extreme highs and lows. The Hull surrender and a few games when we were getting beaten while he slouched back defeated in his chair with snood pulled up were low points. Some of the great wins and performances were high points. Again, more good than bad.
Like all managers you have to take positive with negative and i'm happy enough to run with Poyet now for a while, i wasn't always.

The point of this thread? If we don't get things sorted out player wise soon i think he'll be away. If a similar job becomes available down south my gut feeling is he'll be off. I think he's seen first hand how the club functions from the upper end and what it's operating ambitions are.
It'd be a huge job for any football man to turn this club round, impossible with one hand tied behind his back. I don't think Poyet will think it's worth the effort for us. If we were in London i think he'd be more prepared to put up with this shit as he'd see it as a long term future.
agreed 100% and who could blame him to be fair

Who do you think he's talking to when he mentions "drastic" action needs to be taken on transfers or setting a deadline for the club to get players in? Tea lady? Ball boy? Groundsman? Or maybe the bloke that's getting paid thousands of pounds to bring players into the club? Never mind, as long as we have people like you about who can never see anything negative then that's all great....
Makes no difference what anyone thinks about the situation on here. None at all. You can be positive, negative, indifferent - means nothing.

I prefer to wait and see what will happen, quietly confident that the club now does not make panic signings or applies a scatter gun transfer policy approach.

But if you want to get yourself in a hissy fit, assuming what you like by twisting words from quotes into meanings that probably aren't the reality, then be my guest.

If come 31 August it transpires that we were held back deliberately by Short and Congerton and Gus is not happy with his squad then I will join the post mortem and criticise accordingly.

If come 31 August we have a squad that will see us progress from last season, containing no dead wood and a wage bill that is under control and commensurate with a club the size of Sunderland, then can I expect you to come along and say you didn't know what you were panicking about?

I hate politics in football, every part of a Football club should be unified and be singing from the same sheet.

I dislike that someone is purposely trying to unravel others aspects of the club for there own personall gain.

Im not saying I dont think he can be a success, I just dont appreiciate the way he goes about things to the extent that i dont like him.
Another sensitive soul here. No one has any idea what goes on behind the scenes and certainly not from what they read in the media.

Just to put the Poyet 'walking' into context.

In his own words, staying up would have been a miracle, and I can't think of a better word to explain what happened. This wasn't some steady climb from danger which he masterminded, it was a miracle, a 20 year old striker having a purple patch and so on. He had previously managed in League 2 and then failed to get Brighton out of the Championship despite a reasonable budget to assist him. He left in somewhat acrimonious circumstances and until we came along, he was providing filler on Match of the Day 3.

So we stayed up, well done him, well done Di Fanti's loan signings and will done to the striker who had been peddled to Championship clubs. I quite like the fella, think he has the makings of a decent manager but if he walked out of the door now (which he won't) then what would we really be missing anyway?

Got to admit i wasn't 100% about Gus Poyet before he got the job. From a distance i always thought he was a bit of an odd character but in that respect he's won me over a bit, he's ok. I'd even say i quite like him now.
In football terms he's done a decent/good job which has featured extreme highs and lows. The Hull surrender and a few games when we were getting beaten while he slouched back defeated in his chair with snood pulled up were low points. Some of the great wins and performances were high points. Again, more good than bad.
Like all managers you have to take positive with negative and i'm happy enough to run with Poyet now for a while, i wasn't always.

The point of this thread? If we don't get things sorted out player wise soon i think he'll be away. If a similar job becomes available down south my gut feeling is he'll be off. I think he's seen first hand how the club functions from the upper end and what it's operating ambitions are.
It'd be a huge job for any football man to turn this club round, impossible with one hand tied behind his back. I don't think Poyet will think it's worth the effort for us. If we were in London i think he'd be more prepared to put up with this shit as he'd see it as a long term future.
If Colback had stayed we wouldn't see this thread man!

I hate politics in football, every part of a Football club should be unified and be singing from the same sheet.

I dislike that someone is purposely trying to unravel others aspects of the club for there own personall gain.

Im not saying I dont think he can be a success, I just dont appreiciate the way he goes about things to the extent that i dont like him.

Fair points.
I would say the more layers you introduce into the management set up the greater the chance of it happening, unfortunately it's human nature i suppose.
I've got to say i said something along the same lines in a previous thread which was condemned as being too negative. In my opinion when things go wrong it gives people more chance to point the finger as boundaries of responsibility become wooly.

In his own words, staying up would have been a miracle, and I can't think of a better word to explain what happened. This wasn't some steady climb from danger which he masterminded, it was a miracle, a 20 year old striker having a purple patch and so on. He had previously managed in League 2 and then failed to get Brighton out of the Championship despite a reasonable budget to assist him. He left in somewhat acrimonious circumstances and until we came along, he was providing filler on Match of the Day 3.

So we stayed up, well done him, well done Di Fanti's loan signings and will done to the striker who had been peddled to Championship clubs. I quite like the fella, think he has the makings of a decent manager but if he walked out of the door now (which he won't) then what would we really be missing anyway?
excellent post

We do not know what was promised, we do not know who we are in for, nothing to say we have been turned down by anyone, and nothing to say a few lads will not be in next week or two.

I agree that Poyet will be narky if promises have been broken, the truth is we just do not know either way.

Finally, why the obsession with west am? fack em

Another sensitive soul here. No one has any idea what goes on behind the scenes and certainly not from what they read in the media.

If youre unable to draw your conclusions by the media stuff that is put out then thats your parogative. Should you not have opinions and know nothing about the club because youre not directly involved, I wonder why you come on to a forum.

I prefer to wait and see what will happen, quietly confident that the club now does not make panic signings or applies a scatter gun transfer policy approach.

But if you want to get yourself in a hissy fit, assuming what you like by twisting words from quotes into meanings that probably aren't the reality, then be my guest.

If come 31 August it transpires that we were held back deliberately by Short and Congerton and Gus is not happy with his squad then I will join the post mortem and criticise accordingly.

If come 31 August we have a squad that will see us progress from last season, containing no dead wood and a wage bill that is under control and commensurate with a club the size of Sunderland, then can I expect you to come along and say you didn't know what you were panicking about?

Wouldn't hold your breath in this event mate.

He walks, takes all his staff with him and we are on our 5th manager in 3 years.

We need stability desperately.

It's the stop/start of things that would bother me personally. We have a manager that is setting the club up to play a certain style of football. The club would then have to identify a replacement who has the same mindset or we'll go back to the revolving door we've seen for all too long now: new manager > Sell players > buy all new players > do shite > manager sacked > new manager > sell players > buy new... > shite > binned > so on.

Not that I think any of this is going to happen though, just my feelings if it did transpire.

He walks, takes all his staff with him and we are on our 5th manager in 3 years.

We need stability desperately.

Could not agree more mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back