Gus Poyet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PISTON

Striker
Got to admit i wasn't 100% about Gus Poyet before he got the job. From a distance i always thought he was a bit of an odd character but in that respect he's won me over a bit, he's ok. I'd even say i quite like him now.
In football terms he's done a decent/good job which has featured extreme highs and lows. The Hull surrender and a few games when we were getting beaten while he slouched back defeated in his chair with snood pulled up were low points. Some of the great wins and performances were high points. Again, more good than bad.
Like all managers you have to take positive with negative and i'm happy enough to run with Poyet now for a while, i wasn't always.

The point of this thread? If we don't get things sorted out player wise soon i think he'll be away. If a similar job becomes available down south my gut feeling is he'll be off. I think he's seen first hand how the club functions from the upper end and what it's operating ambitions are.
It'd be a huge job for any football man to turn this club round, impossible with one hand tied behind his back. I don't think Poyet will think it's worth the effort for us. If we were in London i think he'd be more prepared to put up with this shit as he'd see it as a long term future.

I kind of agree but I don't think for one minute Poyet would have signed a new contract without assurances in place about how much money is going to be spent on the team.

Got to admit i wasn't 100% about Gus Poyet before he got the job. From a distance i always thought he was a bit of an odd character but in that respect he's won me over a bit, he's ok. I'd even say i quite like him now.
In football terms he's done a decent/good job which has featured extreme highs and lows. The Hull surrender and a few games when we were getting beaten while he slouched back defeated in his chair with snood pulled up were low points. Some of the great wins and performances were high points. Again, more good than bad.
Like all managers you have to take positive with negative and i'm happy enough to run with Poyet now for a while, i wasn't always.

The point of this thread? If we don't get things sorted out player wise soon i think he'll be away. If a similar job becomes available down south my gut feeling is he'll be off. I think he's seen first hand how the club functions from the upper end and what it's operating ambitions are.
It'd be a huge job for any football man to turn this club round, impossible with one hand tied behind his back. I don't think Poyet will think it's worth the effort for us. If we were in London i think he'd be more prepared to put up with this shit as he'd see it as a long term future.

If he wants a top job with somebody he is going to have to do the hard yards with somebody. It may as well be us. I like the fact that he is the first manager in a long time at safc who has a clear football style and system and is prepared to put the coaching time in to establish it. That will be worth a lot more than any single future transfer IMO

I kind of agree but I don't think for one minute Poyet would have signed a new contract without assurances in place about how much money is going to be spent on the team.

That's what i think too. I wonder if those assurances are written into his contract or just a "gentlemans's agreement", a term i heard maggie was quoted as saying on a totally separate issue.

Unless hes backed this window i reckon West ham will be in for him when they sack SA

I'm beginning to think he would take that job.

No ones got any idea about anything really. He's signed a new contract and is taking up pre season training, putting pressure on the board to get his players in and that's about it. Got no reasons at all to think he will just swan off down south, as far as I'm aware and until he says otherwise he's our manager and doing his best for the club. Personally I think he's the right man for it and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do for us which up to now includes survival and a cup final..

If Poyet does have a good start to the season and another club comes in for him, he would be off in a shot. The club obviously made him promises before he signed a new contract and now they have failed to deliver those promises, nobody could blame Poyet if he left.

If Poyet does have a good start to the season and another club comes in for him, he would be off in a shot. The club obviously made him promises before he signed a new contract and now they have failed to deliver those promises, nobody could blame Poyet if he left.
Absolute guesswork. He's not the first manager to publicly put pressure on the board to sign players...

If he wants a top job with somebody he is going to have to do the hard yards with somebody. It may as well be us. I like the fact that he is the first manager in a long time at safc who has a clear football style and system and is prepared to put the coaching time in to establish it. That will be worth a lot more than any single future transfer IMO

I don't disagree with anything you've said but i think the choice of where he does the hard yards will come down to him. Unless things change dramatically i think he'll make the choice for us.
I think he'll have enough suitable options that are preferable to him long term.

No ones got any idea about anything really. He's signed a new contract and is taking up pre season training, putting pressure on the board to get his players in and that's about it. Got no reasons at all to think he will just swan off down south, as far as I'm aware and until he says otherwise he's our manager and doing his best for the club. Personally I think he's the right man for it and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do for us which up to now includes survival and a cup final..
This.

But they think they do. Then bleat and whinge on here and all the other moaners join in with the same complaint, assuming it as fact.

Absolute guesswork. He's not the first manager to publicly put pressure on the board to sign players...

There's no guesswork, Poyet and Oatway have stated numerous times in the media that they wanted players in early so Poyet could coach them to his style, that opportunity has now passed. Poyet is not just coming out with these negative comments about Congerton/Board just for a laugh, it's fairly clear promises were made to him and he now is starting to get pissed off with lack of progress.

This.

But they think they do. Then bleat and whinge on here and all the other moaners join in with the same complaint, assuming it as fact.
As soon as we sign 3 or 4 players he'll be an adopted Mackem who's played a blinder in putting pressure on the board...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back