Gus Poyet blames under-strength squad for Black Cats' struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the director of football role has been excellent since its been implemented at this club. When are we going to learn it doesn't work for us. Although at the same time it stops managers spunking it on a load of crap.

IMO the only way a Director Of Football role can work is if both the DOF and manager/Head Coach are singing from the same hymn sheet, this is clearly not happening with Poyet at the minute. It might work better if/when Congerton brings his own man in.

So what you are saying is that Short has purchased the club for X millions, paid the debt but has not paid himself nothing at all since he has taken over the club from Sunderland Ltd or the Club?

I think Byrne and Per Magnus are also directors of Sunderland Ltd as well so Short is not paying himself anything or taking anything for the last 5 or 6 years from any Sunderland related company that he is a director or owner of?

I just do not understand as a businessman a successful one at that what is in it for Short, if he is not making any money and chucking money at the club what is he getting out of it.

I just cannot get my head round the fact that he gets nothing and loses money by what he is putting into the club.
The only way he is ever going to make his money back is if he can find someone else to take it on and pay £150m+ for us. How many people can you see wanting to pay that and then invest more?
How much would you need to invest to get us in the champions league?
I reckon you would be looking at £400-£500m over 3/4 years to have a chance of being a regular top 4 club. Who is going to do that? How many people are there in the world who can afford to throw £600/700m away?

IMO the only way a Director Of Football role can work is if both the DOF and manager/Head Coach are singing from the same hymn sheet, this is clearly not happening with Poyet at the minute. It might work better if/when Congerton brings his own man in.
Why? You think poyet would be happy to work under restrictions if they came from somebody else in a different role?

He is never going to be in total control though, unless he buys the club.

I was thinking more about transfers, its been fairly apparent all over the summer with his constant pops at Congerton that he is not getting what he wants. The club need to decide if they want Poyet or Congerton, both of them together is never going to work.

I was thinking more about transfers, its been fairly apparent all over the summer with his constant pops at Congerton that he is not getting what he wants. The club need to decide if they want Poyet or Congerton, both of them together is never going to work.
I get that, but there is always going to be someone else calling the shots on transfers, fees, wages etc.

Because he was drawn in by Niall Quinns blarney.........by far the big mans biggest quality...........youre in cloud cuckoo land if you Ellis Short is going to see a" handsome profit" on the probably £150 million its cost him to date............the new tv deal money will be in the next accounts and will probably see the club for once break even but its never going to chuck massive money out as profits...........
I asked him the same question when I was lucky enough to meet him. "A moment of madness" was how he put it... Was obvious though he'd bought into the love of the club. Niall must have brainwashed him!

Everything was fine and dandy after the swansea game.
I
He cannit have it both ways.
What he points out is true. The club chose to appoint a coach and a DOF. They appear to have under-funded the DOF, who in turn has clearly dithered over Borini.

Oh, and on top of that, regardless of what he says, he will also have an involvement in recruitment, whether that be stating the style of player he wants or, more likely, doing that and giving final approval to signings (he definitely had the final say not to sell cattermole so i guess he has the same on incoming deals). If he doesnt have enough power to have a say in the transfer market (affecting his ability to get results which is his job) then he should have brought it up when negotiating his new contract. Hes signed it now which suggests to me that he feels he can get results. He might yet, we're early in the season, but he needs to drop the f***ing excuses

of course he has a say. Whether the men at the top go ahead and sign these players is not his responsibility though. This shit keeps happening manager after manager but it's Poyet's fault? Doesn't add up to me.

If his excuses are true then I'm happy for him to continue bleating on. Time for Uncle Ellis to step up.

What he points out is true. The club chose to appoint a coach and a DOF. They appear to have under-funded the DOF, who in turn has clearly dithered over Borini.
Borini never wanted to come and made it clear. I think the fact we spent our money on rodwell was the issue. Gus then had to lie to us as short pulled the rug from under him.

To be fair he's right. But it's him and Congerton that are to blame.

Our great escape masked over the fact that we were a poor team.

The money on Rodwell could have gone elsewhere, we chased Borini too long, not even depth. We only have 6 defenders for 4 positions.

But there's nee joy in pointing the finger, we have to make the best of it.
I wonder what happened to the 14 million Borini money? Will that be making an appearance in January, or was the Borini chase a smokescreen because they knew he wouldn't sign?

I wonder what happened to the 14 million Borini money? Will that be making an appearance in January, or was the Borini chase a smokescreen because they knew he wouldn't sign?

Time and money, we will add to the squad in january and this time it has to be where we are desperate for cover, a striker and a defender, maybe even 2 if coates is a crock !

What do you mean what happened to it? it will make an appearance if they can get a player they think is worth it.
If you really think Poyet was using Borini as a smokescreen you must never have heard him speak to the press.

Borini never wanted to come and made it clear. I think the fact we spent our money on rodwell was the issue. Gus then had to lie to us as short pulled the rug from under him.
Poyet was lieing that he was still trying to sign borini to cover for short? You really think that's plausible?

What do you mean what happened to it? it will make an appearance if they can get a player they think is worth it.
If you really think Poyet was using Borini as a smokescreen you must never have heard him speak to the press.

Poyet was lieing that he was still trying to sign borini to cover for short? You really think that's plausible?
I have no idea why he was lying. Borini never wanted to come and we spent the money on rodwell, those are facts.

I have no idea why he was lying. Borini never wanted to come and we spent the money on rodwell, those are facts.
They aren't facts.
I think
Poyet was hoping he would change his mind late on possibly after Liverpool signed a few new players.

I also think people get far too caught up on budgets, I think it's beenade pretty clear that the budget is flexible and they would be prepared to push it for the right player. Seems to me that borini was that player and I don't think they could find/get another.

I'm beginning to think we never really wanted Borini. That £14m we were gunna spend could have gone elsewhere and got us two decent players.

They aren't facts.
I think
Poyet was hoping he would change his mind late on possibly after Liverpool signed a few new players.

I also think people get far too caught up on budgets, I think it's beenade pretty clear that the budget is flexible and they would be prepared to push it for the right player. Seems to me that borini was that player and I don't think they could find/get another.
On the other hand, right until the last minute, I feel certain Poyet was saying the obstacles to Borni coming to Sunderland weren't about the player himself. This is, of course, totally false as Borini made clear after the transfer window closed.

On the other hand, right until the last minute, I feel certain Poyet was saying the obstacles to Borni coming to Sunderland weren't about the player himself. This is, of course, totally false as Borini made clear after the transfer window closed.
True but I can see why he would say that. Would have made it very difficult for borini to change his mind (if that's what Gus was hoping) if he had come out and said he doesn't want to come.
I can't see him making it all up to cover for short or for someone at the club pulling the plug to not have hinted at it at all to anyone Id be amazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back