Gus Poyet blames under-strength squad for Black Cats' struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good post - and what is behind it begs the question "what's the point?"
The Sky league is set up for a global audience of "supporters" for the top 6 or so clubs. Everyone else is canon fodder and that will not change without a club finding an owner with almost unlimited wealth who is willing and able to throw hundreds and hundreds of millions at it!

Why would anyone do this?

They won't and we are stuck with our lot, The End
And (sadly) that's the nuts & bolts of it. Depressing really.

Yes, sell most of our squad because they'd be useless for his playing 'style', replace with overpriced hoofers then complain about the tactics £100m later.
Tbh, therein lies half of the problem. I don't think we'd need to sell anyone as the players we've managed to accumulate would quite possibly look more comfortable playing Pulis ball than what's being asked of them under Gus. Our forwards would certainly look more dangerous playing a more traditional role attacking balls in the 18 yrd box. We also have our fair share of what you'd describe as traditional players in the form of orthodox wingers and CM's. Not saying I want him but most of our players would easily take to his brand of football.

There are a few things I struggle with on this version.

Firstly Borini deal was never going to happen and that was very obvious early on, so why we left it late is beyond me and probably a few more on here.
Our big money signing of the summer isn't a deal I would class as "very very right" at the price paid, given how little football he has played and injuries over the past 2 years, he may prove a great signing but at that price it would have to go down as a bit of a gamble for me.
The rest are really fill ins which we have been doing for years.
I can understand the CH bit with the wages at the club and Brown and JOS taking big money but only a year left, but then they extend JOS contract when he is already past it tbh.
Out transfer policy/s and extensive use of the loan system has got us in this mess and from the outside its seems like Carry On Regardless / Blindly only pausing to change the main protagonists once we are in deep shit.
On the face of it, it would appear that Short is only interested in making money out of the club, supporters are simply there the look for the positives in that and many have been brainwashed into thinking it's the only way to do it. How much tele money this season, and last, let's see what happens this close season, we must be carrying the national debt to owe more money after that. It will be interesting to know.

Funny how he only mentions it when we get hammered, unless I've missed it amongst the need for strikers to be both selfish and unselfish.

On the face of it, it would appear that Short is only interested in making money out of the club, supporters are simply there the look for the positives in that and many have been brainwashed into thinking it's the only way to do it. How much tele money this season, and last, let's see what happens this close season, we must be carrying the national debt to owe more money after that. It will be interesting to know.
£30 million increase in tv money last season ( this seasons at the same deal) but the club still held nearly £70 million debt in the last accounts and without profit from player trading lost around £24 million.

They may well about break even in the next ones but I bet there wont be a big chunk of the debt paid off.

That's before the well north of £100 million Shorts converted into equity which he wont get back soon unless he finds a rich buyer willing to continue to do what hes done since 2009...............

Fuck off man!

He spent £10m on a player who has done absolutely nothing. He spent most of the summer chasing a player he failed to sign.

Walked because he fucked up????

Further thoughts - the 2 players he signed from Brighton. One is so far out of his depth it is comical, the other is a championship player

His judgement on players has to be questioned mind. Saying he is Spot on is sticking your head in the sand

Why don't we just give the bloke and the players a f***ing chance

8 games into a new season and already everyone's pissing and moaning

Same folk will no doubt twist that there's no stability or continuity at the club

Tbh the way some of our fans go on they deserve everything they get, that said, I don't believe that this forum is representative of the fanbase as a whole. Or maybe it is, but the two extremes of the spectrum always shout the loudest on here

He's complaining about not having enough players, not the ones we signed.
Thats linked though , we haven't enough player ?
Those he signed are either injured or not good enough .
Maybe he should start accepting some responsibilty.

Vergini has been a canny signing tbf. Personally i think Buckley has done quite well and will be a decent squad option for us. Was Scocco not on our radar before Poyet? I'd be unsure to whether or not that is one of Poyets signings. Coates is injured which is a bit unlucky. Bridcutt, fair enough been largely crap since his debut.

Also its not like we've broke the bank for any of them.
Thats the point tho, because we bought cheap , we are fielding players that will keep us at the bottom!
Decent squad player are not going to get us out of the bottom half.

Last edited:

Aye he has made a mint mate.

As was said, we were left an injury or two away from catastrophe, and people are still denying we need more defenders.
cant see him being given funds in Jan regardless how bad it looks , one mad f***ing gamble from the powers that be after that transfer debacle , like has been said this squad is weaker now than what is was in May . Cant understand the logic from the top down .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back