gus isnt in charge of recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont believe (nor have i read ) gp is blaming anyone, certainly not congerton.
he knows he needs better players, he knows there are financial constraints.
unfortunately the spoilt brat skyboys dont want to hear that. they expect chelsea results with hartlepool budgets.
we have lost money hand over fist for years. successive managers have populated the squad largely with also rans. when people lament the leaving of the likes of colback, that shows how low our stocks are.
we are slowly rebuilding and remodelling. getting rid of overpaid shite, becoming more difficult to be beaten. unfortunately some amongst us have the patience span of a breastfed hungry infant.

I just love it when someone says that. It's 49 years since my first game,I'm sure if I wait patiently for another 49 everthing will turn out peachy.

[Q[/QUOTE]Yes there are numerous examples. Your pedantry on this occasion doesn't stand up to close scrutiny: Kompany £6.7m, Ramsey £5m, Vlaar £3.2m, Coleman £60k, Coutinho £8.5m, Zabaleta £6.45m, Januzaj £300k, Clyne free, Ashley Williams £400k, Kyle Walker £5m etc. Is your 'Google' access blocked?

There are players in both lists that weren't as much as Scocco never mind Rodwell. Stop defending the indefensible. He's wasted a load of money without improving the team and now he's making excuses (again) to protect his reputation.

Last edited:
Gus really needs to keep his mouth shut... Unsettling his own players on the week of the derby.

If he doesn't like it, he can do us a favour and hand his notice in. Otherwise get to work, moaning prick.

Yes there are numerous examples. Your pedantry on this occasion doesn't stand up to close scrutiny: Kompany £6.7m, Ramsey £5m, Vlaar £3.2m, Coleman £60k, Coutinho £8.5m, Zabaleta £6.45m, Januzaj £300k, Clyne free, Ashley Williams £400k, Kyle Walker £5m etc. Is your 'Google' access blocked?

There are players in both lists that weren't as much as Scocco never mind Rodwell. Stop defending the indefensible. He's wasted a load of money without improving the team and now he's making excuses (again) to protect his reputation.[/QUOTE]

A stock phrase trotted out whatever the answer if it doesn't agree. You have to look at wages, club reputation etc. Show me a player picked up for peanuts by relegation fodder who turned out to be a top class player. That's scrutiny. Not googling players we'd never have had a hope of landing in the first place and presenting it as some sort of damning evidence.

Yes there are numerous examples. Your pedantry on this occasion doesn't stand up to close scrutiny: Kompany £6.7m, Ramsey £5m, Vlaar £3.2m, Coleman £60k, Coutinho £8.5m, Zabaleta £6.45m, Januzaj £300k, Clyne free, Ashley Williams £400k, Kyle Walker £5m etc. Is your 'Google' access blocked?

There are players in both lists that weren't as much as Scocco never mind Rodwell. Stop defending the indefensible. He's wasted a load of money without improving the team and now he's making excuses (again) to protect his reputation.

A stock phrase trotted out whatever the answer if it doesn't agree. You have to look at wages, club reputation etc. Show me a player picked up for peanuts by relegation fodder who turned out to be a top class player. That's scrutiny. Not googling players we'd never have had a hope of landing in the first place and presenting it as some sort of damning evidence.[/QUOTE]

Very much expected the auld "but they wouldn't come to us" bollocks which is why I stuck in players that had gone to Swansea, Villa, Everton, Southampton and Spurs. Keane, Bruce and O'Neill managed to buy the odd canny player for us.

First you tell me there aren't many more contemporary examples so I list more contemporary examples. Then you change the goalposts and ask for a list of 'top class players who've gone to relegation fodder'. Those parameters are your's not mine.

I'm suggesting the money Gus has spent could have been spent on much better (as illustrated). If Di Canio and De Fanti carry the can for their ephemeral tenure then Gus and Congerton do after longer (and more net spend!)

A stock phrase trotted out whatever the answer if it doesn't agree. You have to look at wages, club reputation etc. Show me a player picked up for peanuts by relegation fodder who turned out to be a top class player. That's scrutiny. Not googling players we'd never have had a hope of landing in the first place and presenting it as some sort of damning evidence.

sissoko,cabaye,debuchy,tiote to the mags for about what we spent in the summer.
diame,lescott,charlie austin,shelvey,puncheon for about what we spent in the summer.
dont forget huddlestone and our botched/lack of effort to sign him.

Last edited:
No one is surprised at you and your incessant horrendously negative posts.
Never mind you can keep everything crossed in the hope we get beat on Sunday so that you and your mates can thrap yourself stupid composing your usual bile ridden anti sunderland missives
You enjoy the football we play, congratulations.

There are players in both lists that weren't as much as Scocco never mind Rodwell. Stop defending the indefensible. He's wasted a load of money without improving the team and now he's making excuses (again) to protect his reputation.[/QUOTE]

If all of your examples were picked up by one or two clubs, your underlying premise might be supportable. But there is an awful lot of Europe wide scouting resource out there to try and find those 'bargains'. Not to mention all the money, like ours, spend on duds. Who are the scouts and Directors of Football that we should be employing to make this happen? It's a massive gamble, but I've never seen any real evidence that a DoF does anything other than stop managers spunking millions to back their job prospects (or in some cases, boost their commissions).

Very much expected the auld "but they wouldn't come to us" bollocks which is why I stuck in players that had gone to Swansea, Villa, Everton, Southampton and Spurs. Keane, Bruce and O'Neill managed to buy the odd canny player for us.

First you tell me there aren't many more contemporary examples so I list more contemporary examples. Then you change the goalposts and ask for a list of 'top class players who've gone to relegation fodder'. Those parameters are your's not mine.

I'm suggesting the money Gus has spent could have been spent on much better (as illustrated). If Di Canio and De Fanti carry the can for their ephemeral tenure then Gus and Congerton do after longer (and more net spend!)

The goalposts remain the same. Show me a player picked up for peanuts (let's say the same price as Bridcutt or Buckley, 2-4 million) by relegation fodder (which historically we are and most of the teams you mention are not) who turned out to be a top class PL player. I'll give you all the way back to Hyppia. Get googling.

sissoko,cabaye,debuchy,tiote to the mags for about what we spent in the summer.
diame,lescott,charlie austin,shelvey,puncheon for about what we spent in the summer.
dont forget huddlestone and our botched/lack of effort to sign him.

Newcastle have an extensive scouting network established in France. Lescott aside none of those are established PL players. Huddlestone was ruled out for budgetary reasons iirc.

The overriding point here is that it will take time to start picking these kind of players at prices we can afford with any regularity. That's not Poyet's fault, nor is it Congerton's to an extent. It's the result of the constant upheaval over the last half decade or so at the club and the money wasted, putting the owner off spending more.

Whilst he's a much better manager, he really is cut from the same cloth as Di Canio isn't he? Nothing is ever his fault.

I think it's good we have a manager with a healthy sense of self preservation. He could hide behind the 'it's cause I'm not from round here' line, or just not be arsed, like two of the previous three incumbents.

The problem could come when he gets a bit of honesty coming back at him. We've been far too defensive in too many games this season regardless of the quality of player at his disposal.

Last edited by a moderator:
The goalposts remain the same. Show me a player picked up for peanuts (let's say the same price as Bridcutt or Buckley, 2-4 million) by relegation fodder (which historically we are and most of the teams you mention are not) who turned out to be a top class PL player. I'll give you all the way back to Hyppia. Get googling.

Not asking much are you. :lol:

He, or they, or the other he, fuck knows the score on that one, spent £10m on one player currently sat on our bench and £4.5m on Scocco who came and went like a Mayfly. Argue as much as you like, our recruitment has been poor and as yet the arrival of Gus and Congerton hasn't changed much in that respect.

Regarding the time required to build up a list of possibles, did Congerton lose his database crossing the North Sea?

Not asking much are you. :lol:

He, or they, or the other he, fuck knows the score on that one, spent £10m on one player currently sat on our bench and £4.5m on Scocco who came and went like a Mayfly. Argue as much as you like, our recruitment has been poor and as yet the arrival of Gus and Congerton hasn't changed much in that respect.

Regarding the time required to build up a list of possibles, did Congerton lose his database crossing the North Sea?

Yes, there have been poor signings. Everyone does it. Congerton is probably working to different criteria with Poyet than he was in Germany.

I'm not arguing as such, just pointing out the obvious flaws in the logic of having a pop so early in the process. The system is difficult enough to implement when money is no object, let alone at SAFC.

The indisputable facts are that they have improved us, so what's the point you're trying to make?

I think it's good we have a manager with a healthy sense of self preservation. He could hide behind the 'it's cause I'm not from round here' line, or just not be arsed, like two of the previous three incumbents.

The problem could come when he gets a bit of honesty coming back at him. We've been far too defensive in too many games this season regardless of the quality of player at his disposal.
Personally I think its f***ing awful. I support SAFC and not Gus Poyet FC. There's much I like about Gus and unlike many on here I am content to see us build a solid - if dull - foundation right now. However, his sniping at the club is utterly abhorrent IMO and does absolutely nothing positive for the club. If all it does is help Gus then it's something that I'm very much against.

I just love it when someone says that. It's 49 years since my first game,I'm sure if I wait patiently for another 49 everthing will turn out peachy.

Aye, when we havent won a trophy for over 40 years, have finished in the top half three times in over 50 years and not qualified for European football in over 40 years as well, we are obviously an impatient bunch. I mean there are only 40 odd thousand going to support their club week in week out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back