gus isnt in charge of recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you'd keep him and tell him to be more Jose? Lol

He is what he is - back him or sack him. I back him

Well that is how much football divides people, some are content with not getting beat others want to win, in terms of the latter we don't look like doing that much, especially when we have a coach who is just about saying he can't improve what we have been seeing and has no intention to.

That is a ridiculous thing to say, he's telling me he's a pretty poor coach with no faith in his own ability to get the best out of what he has and that's why he shifts any blame from himself.

he can only work with the cards he has been dealt and he is doing a damn good job with a poor hand like
That's his job isn't it?
So Poyet is exonerated of any deficiencies because he didn't buy the players?
I don't hear him praising Congerton or Short on the rare occasion we get a good result.

Of course GP is involved in transfers. But the modern manager hasn't got time to oversee everything in minute detail. His main aim is overseeing the coaching/selection and tactics. And that will take forever alongside studying up on opponents. So GP has to work with other people who have serious responsibilities in terms of getting new players in.

Whoever does what, what is for sure is that we don't have a budget that is sufficient to get the type of quality in that we would all like. That is the main problem. Oh and spending what money we do have on players that don't improve our starting XL!

There's a common theme with those signings we know beyond reasonable doubt were Poyet's - they were all cheap.

He may have 'the final say' on transfers but when the options at the moment are clearly having x or y who fits into the budget or nobody at all, it's not really the final say is it?

Hopefully Alvarez is the beginning of the system working properly. It takes time to sort these things out. What we as a group of supporters seem to want is to suddenly pluck half a dozen gems out for peanuts - it would be nice but it never happens without some serious groundwork, which we haven't had time to bed in yet.

So you'd keep him and tell him to be more Jose? Lol

He is what he is - back him or sack him. I back him

I back him too.
But I don't want to listen to him whining.
Just get on with the job.
If he doesn't like the set up; leave.
SAFC will survive without him.

No chance that Rodwell was a Poyet pick. He might have been happy to rubber stamp it when it was put in front of him, but he wouldn't have picked him.[/QUOTE]

If Poyet has the rubber stamp surely he decides when to use it?

Where do you expect us to be with this team mate?

He's signed average players for average prices tbh. He hasn't had millions to spunk. He is getting criticised for managing a club routinely in relegation trouble at this time of year, and making them look solid.

Rodwell excluded from above - but jury is out on him, and tbh the price we paid for him wouldn't solve our problems anyway!

Gus has had the largest transfer net spend in 7 years. We look "solid" because we defend deep and in great numbers, painful on the eye. Look at our 'goals for' tally. We are 2 points from a relegation berth; hardly the position of a "solid" team. He presided over the joint highest defeat in the club's 100 year+ history; some achievement. The money we paid for Rodwell is the 4th highest fee we've ever paid in our history so it can't be so easily dismissed. The "price we paid for him wouldn't solve our problems": Van Persie £2.75m, Tim Cahill £1.5m, Hart £600k, Hyppia £2.5m, Michu £2m, Vidic £7m, Schneiderlin £1.2m, Benteke £7m, Nathan Dyer £400k... and many, many more.

I still can't understand why our expectations are so low. We have the 6th highest average attendance in the country and the 13th highest wage bill. I don't accept that Stoke, Villa and WBA each have a better team than us. Drop the inferiority complex that helps perpetuate the Gus love-in.

With this team I expect us to be mid-table, no excuses.

Gus has had the largest transfer net spend in 7 years. We look "solid" because we defend deep and in great numbers, painful on the eye. Look at our 'goals for' tally. We are 2 points from a relegation berth; hardly the position of a "solid" team. He presided over the joint highest defeat in the club's 100 year+ history; some achievement. The money we paid for Rodwell is the 4th highest fee we've ever paid in our history so it can't be so easily dismissed. The "price we paid for him wouldn't solve our problems": Van Persie £2.75m, Tim Cahill £1.5m, Hart £600k, Hyppia £2.5m, Michu £2m, Vidic £7m, Schneiderlin £1.2m, Benteke £7m, Nathan Dyer £400k... and many, many more.

I still can't understand why our expectations are so low. We have the 6th highest average attendance in the country and the 13th highest wage bill. I don't accept that Stoke, Villa and WBA each have a better team than us. Drop the inferiority complex that helps perpetuate the Gus love-in.

He hasn't really tried anything other than when his hand was forced or the stupidity of the three centre halves, that's why I don't mind players injured or suspended it can have a positive effect on things, perhaps is was a miracle, divine intervention is the only way things seem like they will change.

Let us pray.

There's a common theme with those signings we know beyond reasonable doubt were Poyet's - they were all cheap.

He may have 'the final say' on transfers but when the options at the moment are clearly having x or y who fits into the budget or nobody at all, it's not really the final say is it?

Hopefully Alvarez is the beginning of the system working properly. It takes time to sort these things out. What we as a group of supporters seem to want is to suddenly pluck half a dozen gems out for peanuts - it would be nice but it never happens without some serious groundwork, which we haven't had time to bed in yet.
That's the same for every manager in the league apart from possibly the top 4/5. You get the best players you can for the money you have you try to sign players that fit into the system and style you want to play.
If you are saying there is nobody within our budget who has the quality to improve us at playing the way he wants then he needs to look at alternatives.

I really don't understand why Poyet is being so confrontational about the recruitment process we have in place. Firstly, he knew what the script was when he signed his new deal. To then moan about it not working in public is a bit petty and smacks of self preservation.

Secondly, Congerton has a major say in Poyet's future here. Both in his capacity to bring players in to help him and over Gus' contract with the club. Wouldn't Poyet be better off keeping all matters in house and actually trying to form a relationship with the bloke to help everyone move forward? Surely Congerton would be more likely to fight Gus' corner over a player if they had a decent relationship.

I suppose Gus' bluntness in public may just be because English is his second language. Maybe diplomacy and tact is lost in translation.

Surprise. You're clearly happy with horrendously dull football.
No one is surprised at you and your incessant horrendously negative posts.
Never mind you can keep everything crossed in the hope we get beat on Sunday so that you and your mates can thrap yourself stupid composing your usual bile ridden anti sunderland missives

Like Gus but he's not exactly front of the line when it comes to taking responsibility when things go a bit pear shaped

Probably not that many more bearing in mind you've had to go back the best part of a decade to find four of them.

That's the same for every manager in the league apart from possibly the top 4/5. You get the best players you can for the money you have you try to sign players that fit into the system and style you want to play.
If you are saying there is nobody within our budget who has the quality to improve us at playing the way he wants then he needs to look at alternatives.

I'm saying it takes time to establish the kind of network where we can get those players on a regular basis.

Well that is how much football divides people, some are content with not getting beat others want to win, in terms of the latter we don't look like doing that much, especially when we have a coach who is just about saying he can't improve what we have been seeing and has no intention to.

That is a ridiculous thing to say, he's telling me he's a pretty poor coach with no faith in his own ability to get the best out of what he has and that's why he shifts any blame from himself.

Rubbish - the sensible people can see that not losing is a platform from which to build a side and eventually start winning. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back