Free Agent strengthening...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slabadan Rajkovic........Congerton will know about him. Former Chelsea and Hamburg. Left footed centre back.

He was horrendous at Hamburg though :lol: But injuries and suspensions didn't help.

A couple of poor games and everyone on here wants PvA to never be near the team again. Madness.

He's constantly criticised on here for not getting tight enough to his man to stop crosses (QPR at home last season being a prime example) when its nearly always the only option he has after being given no protection from the man in front of him. Against QPR last year it was Gomez not tracking back. Against Villa last week, and for much of this season, it's been defoe. Constantly left in a 2 against 1 situation, no full back in the world is going to look like a good defender. Nor will they have any chance to go forward - see PvA's heat map from Villa for an example.

Yes, he's looked uncomfortable on the ball so far this year. But its only a drop in form, not a reason to write him off. Given some adequate protection (Borini) in front of him PvA will be considerably less exposed and should regain his form quicker.

No... People want him to have some competition. We have no cover there - that is madness.

No... People want him to have some competition. We have no cover there - that is madness.

On this thread - http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/3-hours-to-get-competition-for-pva.1127649/ - you state he's 'league one level.' To me that sounds like you don't want him near the team.

There are also people on this thread suggesting Tiendalli would be a '65% improvement on PvA'. Or that Billy Jones or Roberge should be starting ahead of PvA. Or that we should be bring back Reviellere. There are plenty of people over reacting to his recent performances.

Dick is clearly of the opinion that at least one of Matthews, Yedlin or Jones can act as cover and competition too - theres no other reason we'd leave ourselves with 3 right backs and one left back.

With no outgoings today we are left with 25 senior players at the club at the end of the window, which, I believe, means there is no scope to take any Free Agents.
Having been corrected by @jsdftm04 and checking the rules (it's under 21 not 21 and under that's the break point) you're right about the 25. No freebies for us then.

On this thread - http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/3-hours-to-get-competition-for-pva.1127649/ - you state he's 'league one level.' To me that sounds like you don't want him near the team.

There are also people on this thread suggesting Tiendalli would be a '65% improvement on PvA'. Or that Billy Jones or Roberge should be starting ahead of PvA. Or that we should be bring back Reviellere. There are plenty of people over reacting to his recent performances.

Dick is clearly of the opinion that at least one of Matthews, Yedlin or Jones can act as cover and competition too - theres no other reason we'd leave ourselves with 3 right backs and one left back.

No I state he's a good player at league one level. Probably is, too. At Premiership level, he has reached mediocre at times. Below that at the moment - but he competition would serve both us and his form well.

At his best he's ok enough for us to stay in that 14th-17th zone. But if we want to progress in the long-term, then he is not good enough. At moment though, we are just looking for sticking plasters.

No I state he's a good player at league one level. Probably is, too. At Premiership level, he has reached mediocre at times. Below that at the moment - but he competition would serve both us and his form well.

At his best he's ok enough for us to stay in that 14th-17th zone. But if we want to progress in the long-term, then he is not good enough. At moment though, we are just looking for sticking plasters.

Thats your opinion - the statistics say otherwise.

PvA created 35 chances last year from wing back. Combined, Billy Jones, Rev and Vergini created 21. PvA provided 5 assists in the league. Combined, Billy Jones, Rev and Vergini provided 1. Looking through the rest of the team, Johnson managed 1 assist last year. Larsson managed 3. Gomez managed 2.

In terms of defensive stats, PvA won 47% of duels. Billy Jones won 48%, Rev won 50%, Vergini 52%. All made roughly the same amount of defensive actions per game.

Going forward, he's clearly our best wing back - and in actual fact, one of our most important players overall, assisting 5 of our 31 league goals last year. Defensively, theres nothing to split any of the ones we had last year. If PvA is 'mediocre' at best in the Premiership, then I'd be pretty worried about the level the rest of the team are playing at.

why not. I see Watford have signed ibarbo today. Given his form in front of goal in his career and watfords scattergun approach to transfers then there's no one can tell me that isn't based on how effective he's been in several recent versions of console FIFA.
Must admit I thought that, nothing about his actual career suggests he's any good but he's canny on FIFA.

PvA created 35 chances last year from wing back. Combined, Billy Jones, Rev and Vergini created 21. PvA provided 5 assists in the league. Combined, Billy Jones, Rev and Vergini provided 1. Looking through the rest of the team, Johnson managed 1 assist last year. Larsson managed 3. Gomez managed 2.

In terms of defensive stats, PvA won 47% of duels. Billy Jones won 48%, Rev won 50%, Vergini 52%. All made roughly the same amount of defensive actions per game.

Going forward, he's clearly our best wing back - and in actual fact, one of our most important players overall, assisting 5 of our 31 league goals last year. Defensively, theres nothing to split any of the ones we had last year. If PvA is 'mediocre' at best in the Premiership, then I'd be pretty worried about the level the rest of the team are playing at.

Not a single player you mentioned in your post would make my starting XI this year, apart from PvA. And that's because he has no competition. Would pick Larsson on form, maybe, over Rodwell and Cattermole. And anyway, stats always tell a very partial story. The guy isn't good enough - and the rest of the board is broadly right on that.

Not a single player you mentioned in your post would make my starting XI this year, apart from PvA. And that's because he has no competition. Would pick Larsson on form, maybe, over Rodwell and Cattermole. And anyway, stats always tell a very partial story. The guy isn't good enough - and the rest of the board is broadly right on that.

Stats do only tell part of the story. But they show he was one of our best performers last year, and clearly our best full back. Time will tell, but its clear Dick rates him as its one of the few positions we didn't look to replace over the summer.

With decent protection in front of him, and once he's out of this drop in form, he'll prove his worth again this season. To suggest a wing back who assisted 1/6th of our goals last season isn't good enough is just madness

The winning duel stat doesn't mean anything when you're about twenty miles out of position like PVA has been for most of this season.

But PVA was a lot better this season than last; this season he's been at fault for a lot of goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back