Frank Worthington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Always had a lot of time for Worthy, especially as we had similar surnames.

As a young kid, I used to practice this in the garden. Never managed it that successfully.

That still ranks as my favourite all time goal. I just love it and it was typical of how he played.
He's also in my top five favourite Sunderland players, he was a pleasure to watch. I remember once I was in the paddocks and he was on our flank. Their fullback had been niggling fouls all half and Frank had enough of it. When the ref had his back turned Frank gestured to the fullback to have a word, the lad went over to him and as he got there Frank picked his nose and wiped a greener all over the lads cheek. Obviously he went off on one trying to kill Frank who got the refs attention and the lad was sent off. He was brilliant. :lol::lol:

Horrible to think of what he's going through now, wouldn't wish it on anyone. Keep smiling Frank.

Really sad news that about Frank. Always great to watch brought Ally Mc on a treat. Always remember that goal he scored for Bolton, a flick over the top and a perfect volley very special. All the best to Frank.

Saw a great header against Luton Town 3-1 victory away that day. Anyone else at that match early 80's?
Yes I was. Leighton James scored a cracker that day too and we thought we were going to challenge the European places after only one defeat in 14, but then immediately went into one of our usual slumps.

I seem to remember a dour relegation match at home to Leeds and we won when Worthington buried a late free kick.
Just wondering if anyone else remembers it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back