Found some old programmes - WHU v Sunderland 1984 scans

Status
Not open for further replies.

You won 1-0 part of a spectacular late season collapse, we were barely out top 3 for most of the season, 2nd as late as December, still 3rd in March, finished 9th

Collapse pretty much coincided with Devonshire getting a bad injury, a truly wonderful player who was injured far too often

Swindlehurst! FFS what a waste of money he was for us.
Saw Geoff Pike play against us for Notts County alongside Gary Birtles in the 3rd division down at their place. A crackin game. IIRC they came up as runners up behind us.
Who on earth was Neil Orr? Nivver heard of him.

You won 1-0 part of a spectacular late season collapse, we were barely out top 3 for most of the season, 2nd as late as December, still 3rd in March, finished 9th

Collapse pretty much coincided with Devonshire getting a bad injury, a truly wonderful player who was injured far too often

Great player

Swindlehurst! FFS what a waste of money he was for us.
Saw Geoff Pike play against us for Notts County alongside Gary Birtles in the 3rd division down at their place. A crackin game. IIRC they came up as runners up behind us.
Who on earth was Neil Orr? Nivver heard of him.

Right there mind, he was like an old gadgee roaming around on the pitch.

But he was a good player at his best at Wist Em. So good in fact that Terry Neill, then Arsenal manager, once told his sub to go on and when he could, get Swindlehurst slowed down a bit as he was leading the Arsenal defence a merry dance. Said centre forward was soon reversing off the park on a stretcher. The sub on the day was a full back called John Kay, AKA the tractor! ( I was told this by his brother, who I worked with at the time, shortly after the incident)

Just the bits about you lot

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Nice one. Many thanks for posting. That Sunderland side was essentially Durban's side - some good players whom Ashurst foolishly moved on - Rowell, Atkins, Bracewell in particular. .

The West Ham side contains some of my favourite ever players - Brooking, Devonshire, Bonds - Billy Bonds would get 200 caps today, outstanding player.

Yet another case for us of appalling judgement at board level - within a year we'd get Mc menemy and all the money he wasted....Swindlehurst instead of Rowell, Hetzke instead of Atkins, Doyle instead of Bracewell.......

Loved the content and detail in the programme.

Better days for both teams next season....Bilic has proven himself already...and for us, BSA, at last, offers us hope of success in the Ellis Short era.

Nice one. Many thanks for posting. That Sunderland side was essentially Durban's side - some good players whom Ashurst foolishly moved on - Rowell, Atkins, Bracewell in particular. .

The West Ham side contains some of my favourite ever players - Brooking, Devonshire, Bonds - Billy Bonds would get 200 caps today, outstanding player.

Yet another case for us of appalling judgement at board level - within a year we'd get Mc menemy and all the money he wasted....Swindlehurst instead of Rowell, Hetzke instead of Atkins, Doyle instead of Bracewell.......

Loved the content and detail in the programme.

Better days for both teams next season....Bilic has proven himself already...and for us, BSA, at last, offers us hope of success in the Ellis Short era.

Spot on about the de-construction of a really promising team. A good number of that Durban team left and went on to win medals in the league and cup elsewhere.

A genius that Cowie. He even argued to the end that we shouldn't have left Roker Park.

Devonshire getting a bad injury, a truly wonderful player who was injured far too often
Jack Wilshere reminds me of him, though Devonshire was a much better player imho and wasn't as injured as often Wilshere, although his record was bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back