Football laws that you weren't aware of ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can ( could ) be offside inside the goal, I've mentioned it here before but it rankles because it cost me a hat-trick. One of our players contested a corner with their keeper who punched the ball to the edge of the box where young Sandboy volleyed it straight back into the top corner completing his first ever hat-trick. I was on my lap of honour oblivious that the ref had disallowed it for offside because our player had ended up in the back of the net following the original clash
I think you were robbed mate, surely if you're over the dead ball line, wherever it is, you are considered to be off the field of play. Unless, of course, he wasn't over the line when you hit it.

Well he might not, but if he did he should restart with a dropped ball and then blow for time.

There is a specific event in the rules where this applies, but as it was only changed a couplayears ago and it will never happen anyway nobody will know it :)
Gonna guess at... after a penalty is taken but before it's 'resolved'

Gonna guess at... after a penalty is taken but before it's 'resolved'
Take a bow. They decided that if the ball bursts before it has hit goal frame or played by another player the team taking it should have the chance to take it again.

If the ball bursts or becomes defective during the course of a match:
• the match is stopped
• the match is restarted by dropping the replacement ball at the place where
the original ball became defective, unless play was stopped inside the goal
area, in which case the referee drops the replacement ball on the goal area
line parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the original ball
was located when play was stopped
If the ball bursts or becomes defective during a penalty kick or during kicks
from the penalty mark as it moves forward and before it touches any player or
the crossbar or goalposts:
• the penalty kick is retaken
They changed this about 3 years ago. It is good to know with all the corruption scandals and that, that they managed to find the time to attend to this potential unfairness.

There you go, a law you genuinely weren't aware of. End of thread :):cool:

Here's one from our over 40's game last Saturday,
We're winning 2-1 with a minute to go and under the cosh hanging on. The opposition get a throw in and there goalkeeper rushes 70 yards up the field to take a long throw, wearing his goalkeeper gloves.
Is this allowed? One of our lads said it wasn't and the red was far too biased against us to give us anything....
Thoughts?

We're winning 2-1 with a minute to go and under the cosh hanging on. The opposition get a throw in and there goalkeeper rushes 70 yards up the field to take a long throw, wearing his goalkeeper gloves.
Is this allowed? One of our lads said it wasn't and the red was far too biased against us to give us anything....
Thoughts?
Nowt wrong with it. Keepers are allowed to take throw ins (watch a clip of the Aguero goal v QPR, Hart takes one in the build up) and it's a bit weird but allowed.

Now there's one for anyone interested, in which one way (that would never actually occur) do the laws treat goalkeepers differently from outfield players at a throw in?

Thoughts?

Outfield players (soft as shite ones I hasten to add) wear gloves and take throw ins.

Exhibit A- Pascal Chimbonda :)

Now there's one for anyone interested, in which one way (that would never actually occur) do the laws treat goalkeepers differently from outfield players at a throw in?

An absolute guess, but if a goalie were to take a throw that ended up in the net, it doesn't have to hit another player to stand as a goal?

An absolute guess, but if a goalie were to take a throw that ended up in the net, it doesn't have to hit another player to stand as a goal?

Nope. Still has to touch another player.

Nowt wrong with it. Keepers are allowed to take throw ins (watch a clip of the Aguero goal v QPR, Hart takes one in the build up) and it's a bit weird but allowed.

You seem to be referring to the law that if a keeper takes a throw in and throws it into his own box, and he then picks it up an indirect free kick is awarded, whereas if an outfield player was to do this it would be a penalty.

I think you were robbed mate, surely if you're over the dead ball line, wherever it is, you are considered to be off the field of play. Unless, of course, he wasn't over the line when you hit it.

Refs explanation was the net still is the field of play otherwise it would be a corner when the ball crossed the line, someone has proven the ref to be correct on here before.

Thinking about it was probably 32 years ago and I should maybe let it lie but at the end of the game a scout from Donny took my name, he never got in touch, maybe that 3rd goal would have swung it :lol:

I was playing in goal a few years ago and was fouled right on the line between the posts. I took the ball to the corner of the goal area to take the free kick and several of the opposition players complained that I was trying to steal 6 yards. I think they genuinely thought you had to take a free kick right on your own goal line.
If you have a free kick inside the 6 yard box. You can take it from anywhere inside that box. Fact.

I was told just last week;

A goalkeeper can wear a long sleeved or a short sleeved top. But can't wear a long sleeved rolled up.

Not sure how true this is mind

Last edited:
Brett Angell had a flick on disallowed. Always thought he would have been prolific if that had been allowed. Mick Buxton was sacked after our iirc.
Like Jozy would have been prolific if the ref had let his goal against Arsenal stand!

Refs explanation was the net still is the field of play otherwise it would be a corner when the ball crossed the line, someone has proven the ref to be correct on here before.
Well that sounds like bollocks, but I do seem to remember that removing yourself from the field like that to play somebody offside doesn't work, so shouldn't apply the other way either. Deliberately leaving the field of play for any reason is a cautionable offence.

Apologies for being tedious but I assume you now admit that a goalkeeper bounce the ball, unlike here:
I assume you missed the word "can" out of your above post. Ironic as it is pivotal to the technicality you are trying to make.

As someone else has already pointed out, the article didn't say he couldn't.

At the risk of continuing this now - as you point out above - tedious rally of banter that you seem to be utilising to give yourself a raging hard on, Ill explain again... He can hold onto the ball for a limited amount time, this includes time spent indulging in such activity as bouncing or throwing the ball up in the air.

I assume you missed the word "can" out of your above post. Ironic as it is pivotal to the technicality you are trying to make.

At the risk of continuing this now - as you point out above - tedious rally of banter that you seem to be utilising to give yourself a raging hard on, Ill explain again... He can hold onto the ball for a limited amount time, this includes time spent indulging in such activity as bouncing or throwing the ball up in the air.

I read somewhere recently that bouncing the ball is not counted as releasing the ball and the time starts when the goalkeeper is in a postion to release the ball.

Just read post 172 again, I really can't be arsed to carry on this charade any longer. That you had to ask whether I missed the word 'can' is quite telling.

And again well played with the name calling, rather than simply addressing the point and putting the whole thing to bed.

I read somewhere recently that bouncing the ball is not counted as releasing the ball and the time starts when the goalkeeper is in a postion to release the ball.

I have no idea when anyone would assume it would.

That the common betting currency is 15 groats and the game can only be won by kicking a cabbage (or carling) into a medieval net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back