Football laws that you weren't aware of ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot of people that don't understand how a goalkeeper can play someone offside.
Depends what you mean by this, as the phrase "playing somebody onside" has absolutely no meaning in the laws of football.

If it becomes burst in the air just as the first half whistle is about to be blown?
Nope, you would have to restart with a dropped ball then blow the half time whistle after the proper time has elapsed (except at the specific circumstances I am referring to).

Yeah, I know. On a similar note, this thread was entertaining.

"Thats a goal IMO. I dare bet if you could remove the goal posts from the first pic it would show it was over the line as well"

"Anyone who has ever played football, at any level, will know that ball is over the line"
I only read the first page of that and I'm embarrassed for them. Brings them, the board, the club, the city of Sunderland and the whole of historical County Durham into disrepute to be honest. :lol::lol:

There needs to be two opponents nearer to the opposition goal than an attacker to play him onside. If there's only one, he's offside. This 'one' is usually the goalkeeper, but it doesn't have to be. If the goalkeeper is further up the pitch than an attacker for whatever reason, there must be two outfield players nearer to the opposition goal than an attacker, otherwise he's offside.
Well fine, but how does that relate to the initial statement, that a "goalkeeper can play somebody offside"? I don't see the connection.

As long as both of your feet are down, you can take throw ins from a step ladder.
Except that both of your feet have to be touching the line or the ground behind the line.

As this seems to have descended into a 'laws that other people aren't aware of' thread,
Since you want to be pedantic: a) a thread about laws you aren't aware of would obviously be a bit bare, or b) at some time in the past all of us were completely unaware of any of the laws of football, so any current law fulfills the requirements of the thread title.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Since you want to be pedantic: a) a thread about laws you aren't aware of would obviously be a bit bare, or b) at some time in the past all of us were completely unaware of any of the laws of football, so any current law fulfills the requirements of the thread title.

Thank you.

By you're a barrel of laughs! :lol:

Yeah, I know. On a similar note, this thread was entertaining.

"Thats a goal IMO. I dare bet if you could remove the goal posts from the first pic it would show it was over the line as well"

"Anyone who has ever played football, at any level, will know that ball is over the line"
Basically, alot of people don't realise that the ball isn't a cube.

Regarding the obstruction/defenders fat arse/ball running out of play posts above: I always thought it wasnt obstruction if the ball is within playable distance of the defender.

Yeah, I don't see what the issue with this is. The defender is always closer to the ball in these situations, so, in a sense, he's just shielding to maintain 'possession', albeit without actually touching the ball. He's not guilty of obstruction, because he is more in control of the ball than the attacking player.

Depends what you mean by this, as the phrase "playing somebody onside" has absolutely no meaning in the laws of football.

Nope, you would have to restart with a dropped ball then blow the half time whistle after the proper time has elapsed (except at the specific circumstances I am referring to).

If it gets burst when it hits the post milliseconds before going out of play, just as the ref is about to blow for half time?

Edit: I'm not convinced my first answer is wrong like. The ref wouldn't necessarily notice the ball had burst while it was in the air.

Barsnley away (i think) many years ago (mid 90's).

We scored off a throw that had clearly had a flick-on (honest guv) yet ref disallowed it cos he said it had'nt

Brett Angell had a flick on disallowed. Always thought he would have been prolific if that had been allowed. Mick Buxton was sacked after our iirc.

If you are winning, you are allowed to blatantly obstruct people while taking it into the corner.

If it gets burst when it hits the post milliseconds before going out of play, just as the ref is about to blow for half time?

Edit: I'm not convinced my first answer is wrong like. The ref wouldn't necessarily notice the ball had burst while it was in the air.
Well he might not, but if he did he should restart with a dropped ball and then blow for time.

There is a specific event in the rules where this applies, but as it was only changed a couplayears ago and it will never happen anyway nobody will know it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back