Football laws that you weren't aware of ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know. On a similar note, this thread was entertaining.

"Thats a goal IMO. I dare bet if you could remove the goal posts from the first pic it would show it was over the line as well"

"Anyone who has ever played football, at any level, will know that ball is over the line"

Aye, just skimmed through the first couple of pages and there are a few ignorant comments. The one suggesting that there is 'a bit of green between the line and the ball' to prove it was over in particular.

For the goalkeeper example, the rule is the same as it is for an outfield player. A player is offside if he's nearer to goal than the second last opponent.

Don't hit me with your referee riddles this early in the morning please. I need diagrams, on the kitchen table, using salt and pepper pots.

Don't hit me with your referee riddles this early in the morning please. I need diagrams, on the kitchen table, using salt and pepper pots.

There needs to be two opponents nearer to the opposition goal than an attacker to play him onside. If there's only one, he's offside. This 'one' is usually the goalkeeper, but it doesn't have to be. If the goalkeeper is further up the pitch than an attacker for whatever reason, there must be two outfield players nearer to the opposition goal than an attacker, otherwise he's offside.

Here's a photo showing an Arsenal player offside even though there's a defender closer to the opposition goal:

Logon or register to see this image

There needs to be two opponents nearer to the opposition goal than an attacker to play him onside. If there's only one, he's offside. This 'one' is usually the goalkeeper, but it doesn't have to be. If the goalkeeper is further up the pitch than an attacker for whatever reason, there must be two outfield players nearer to the opposition goal than an attacker, otherwise he's offside.

Here's a photo showing an Arsenal player offside even though there's a defender closer to the opposition goal:

Thanks a lot, I am grateful. So the Arsenal player is a pepper pot and there is one salt pot between him and the table mat. You should have just said so!

If a goalie is particularly cunning he could move up the pitch to catch a forward offside but I doubt in the heat of the moment that you'd often have time to do so. Or the forward's team mate making a forward pass would just shoot into the net before the goalie instigates his move.

Thanks a lot, I am grateful. So the Arsenal player is a pepper pot and there is one salt pot between him and the table mat. You should have just said so!

If a goalie is particularly cunning he could move up the pitch to catch a forward offside but I doubt in the heat of the moment that you'd often have time to do so. Or the forward's team mate making a forward pass would just shoot into the net before the goalie instigates his move.

Aye but one of the salt pots has a different coloured cover on!

There are only rare situations it could so I doubt a lot of the time a goalkeeper has time to act upon it. A good way of a goalkeeper doing what you suggested would be at a short corner, if his team only has one man on the post and the corner taker receives the ball straight back from the man he's passed to.

Aye but one of the salt pots has a different coloured cover on!

There are only rare situations it could so I doubt a lot of the time a goalkeeper has time to act upon it. A good way of a goalkeeper doing what you suggested would be at a short corner, if his team only has one man on the post and the corner taker receives the ball straight back from the man he's passed to.

It'd be interesting if the linesman would spot that if the penna box was heaving with players but a v. good example thanks.

The worst and most basic one is that loads of people don't realise that to be across a line, the whole ball needs to be over the whole line.

Logon or register to see this image

*SOUND OF ENTIRE CORNER OF STADIUM GOING APOPLECTIC WITH RAGE*

What always getse is the amount of times the whole ball doesn't got over the touch line and the assistant gives a throw:evil:

Also when a corner is taken from outside the line, what advantage is he gettin by moving the ball 4 inches anyway? Is it like some personal victory? Getting back at the man!:lol:

What always getse is the amount of times the whole ball doesn't got over the touch line and the assistant gives a throw:evil:

Also when a corner is taken from outside the line, what advantage is he gettin by moving the ball 4 inches anyway? Is it like some personal victory? Getting back at the man!:lol:

Yeah, I think my bafflement with how angry it gets people is matched only by my bafflement that players want to get the ball overhanging the last blade of painted grass.

Blimey there's some misguided comments on here :)

Two things that pundits have spouted for years that boil my piss are 'two footed tackle' and 'the last man'.

Neither are mentioned in the rules.

As long as both of your feet are down, you can take throw ins from a step ladder.

As this seems to have descended into a 'laws that other people aren't aware of' thread, I'll go for:

Winning the ball does not entitle you to foul, maim, dismember or kill an opposing player. You cannot avoid a red card just because you 'won the ball.'

I'd never actually thought about it since. Just read up on it though and I basically if you're level with or behind the ball when it's passed to you even if there are no defenders about it's onside.

You're not being played onside by a team mate as such though, you're onside because you're behind the ball.

Surely you've seen it happen countless times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back