First Gig - How Old Were You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Big / Stage Dolls City Hall 82

Followed by Donington 92

I was 14

13 (or 12), Led Zeppelin at the Mecca. You didn't have to be 18 as the bar was upstairs, unlike the Rink where some of my mates were turned away from David Bowie a couple of years later.

Jethro Tull - Summer 1969 - Back room of the Bay Hotel at Whitburn. I was 16.

They did their first gig as 'Jethro Tull' there, but it was the time before that in January '68. Canny little snippet about this gig though...

13/6/69 Bay Hotel Sunderland, UK

Capacity: 800, audience: ~1,500 (double the venue's record), and hundreds more were turned away. Tull had to access the stage via a fire door from the car park, and couldn't go back on for an encore as they couldn't get through the crowd.
Six songs were played in a 40 min. set:
My Sunday Feeling, A New Day Yesterday, Bourée, Dhama For One, Nothing Is Easy, and one other.
Ian was asked to eat in his room rather than in his hotel's restaurant, as the management felt he might have offended the other guests.

http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/setlist/69b.htm

They'd toured America earlier in the year. :lol:

Last edited:
They did their first gig as 'Jethro Tull' there, but it was the time before that in January '68. Canny little snippet about this gig though...

They'd toured America earlier in the year. :lol:

If I remember they had been on Top of the Pops the night before. Anderson was brilliant, Charlie on drums was left alone for a while doing his bit...

Mr Big / Stage Dolls City Hall 82

Followed by Donington 92

I was 14

Was that the Billy Sheehan/Eric Martin/Pail Gilbert/Pat Torpey Mr Big??? I`m sure they weren`t around in 1982. I think Sheehan was in Talas at that point.

I was 16 for my 1st gig: Michael Schenker Group at the City Hall 1982.
Just seen Schenker on Friday at the Academy too...still going strong:-D

it was 1974/75 so 11 or 12

Bill Haley and the Comets, Lowestoft South Peir.

Class

Now THAT`s a class 1st gig to go to.

I was 12, ah yes it was 1973 and it was Status Quo with Snafu as support. Noting the support is very important coz me an my mate thought Snafu was Quo:lol:

Still was a canny night some older bloke next to us (mustav been 19) said thats not quo man, an we was lyke" we knar man"

My first was this very line up at the Globe Theatre (now closed) Stockton !!

Unreal. Same gateway for me. Heard 'At the Edge' at 14 then hoyed all me metal stuff out and got me hair cut.

Animal Magnetism warm up tour in the May. Support were Tygers of Pan Tang. :oops:

No need to abandon Metal mate. You can listen to both. Love At The Edge by SLF mind. Loved it at the time when I was in my full on Metal mode and still love it today....and the Scorpions too.

No need to abandon Metal mate. You can listen to both. Love At The Edge by SLF mind. Loved it at the time when I was in my full on Metal mode and still love it today....and the Scorpions too.

the scorpions were a class band. seen them a few times over the years.
went off them a bit during the 'wind of change' era though.
they have a tremendous back catalogue. tokyo tapes is one of my favoutite live albums.

Groundhogs or Queen at the Mecca...
Big Picture at the club...:)

the scorpions were a class band. seen them a few times over the years.
went off them a bit during the 'wind of change' era though.
they have a tremendous back catalogue. tokyo tapes is one of my favoutite live albums.

I love Tokyo Tapes...Pictured Life, We`ll Burn The Sky, In Trance, Fly to the Rainbow..great stuff.

Last Saturday I interveiwed Herman Rarebell and Francis Buchholz completing my interviews of all 5 of the Tokyo Tapes line up. I did Uli Roth in January and Rudolph Schenker and Klaus Meine a couple of years ago. They say never meet your heroes but I can honestly say all 5 of them were totally top blokes. I`m really pleased that I got the chance to do that.

By the way, the last couple of albums were a pretty decent return to form too....Unbreakable, Humanity and Sting in the Tail are all worth checking out if you still like the sort of stuff.

I love Tokyo Tapes...Pictured Life, We`ll Burn The Sky, In Trance, Fly to the Rainbow..great stuff.

Last Saturday I interveiwed Herman Rarebell and Francis Buchholz completing my interviews of all 5 of the Tokyo Tapes line up. I did Uli Roth in January and Rudolph Schenker and Klaus Meine a couple of years ago. They say never meet your heroes but I can honestly say all 5 of them were totally top blokes. I`m really pleased that I got the chance to do that.

By the way, the last couple of albums were a pretty decent return to form too....Unbreakable, Humanity and Sting in the Tail are all worth checking out if you still like the sort of stuff.

Great Track.

We went on a school trip from Barnes juniors to London in about '74, and were taken to a session being recorded, probably for the BBC, and saw Harrison Ford. I think the first proper one was Roxy Music at the City Hall in about '79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back