EURO 1996

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEV_SAFC_FTM

Striker
Just finished watching the documentary about 1996 with Shearer and several of the players.

What a team we had then, a team full of characters, steel and arrogance.

Seaman
Neville Adams Southgate Pearce
Anderton Platt Gazza McManaman
Shearer Sheringham

A bench containing Fowler, Ferdinand, Flowers, Ince, Sol Campbell

How did we not win that tournament? I think the Gods just weren't with us. Certainly the best England football team in my lifetime and the most exciting to watch. And that includes the 1990 team.

I know it's a different era now but that England team would beat most current international teams.

How many of our current crop of bottlers would get anywhere near that team? Any of them?

Why do players always have to be bottlers when they don't succeed?

We didn't bottle it by being unable to breakdown Slovakia. It's a combination of shite management and lack or creativity in the team.

The Iceland game was just utter shite.

We didn't deserve to win Euro 96 overall.
(Same as Italia 90.)

The gods were completely in our favour in the quarter final against Spain yet all we hear about is how hard done by our luck was against Germany.

These things even themselves out, etc..

England are arrogant as fuck when it comes to tournaments, they will always try and spin it that we were 'unlucky' or 'cheated' or hard done by in some way. Its easier and cheaper to think that than it is to create a nationwide development structure, actually create some tactics and a playing style, and for the fans of English clubs to accept that their judgement on players is largely wrong. Nobody wants to do the hard work, so its just blame everything on the manager, replace him, lose. Rinse. Dry. Repeat.

At half time against Iceland Ian Wright was talking about who he would play in the quarter final. We were 2,1 down. Glenn (prick) Hoddle was mocking Iceland for being 'stuck in the 80's' as they were on their way to winning more euro knock out games in 90mins in their history than we ever have.

Last edited:
Struggled to beat Switzerland. Beat the jocks without playing great. Hammered the Dutch.

There was no last 16 so straight to the quarter final in which Spain had a couple of goals disallowed. I clearly remember one of them at least being well onside. They were robbed.

We played well against Germany but ultimately lost as per usual on pens.

The Euro 96 performance is well overrated imo, due to the memories of the Gascoigne goal vs Scotland, the Dutch game and Pearce's pen in the Spain shoot out.

Just finished watching the documentary about 1996 with Shearer and several of the players.

What a team we had then, a team full of characters, steel and arrogance.

Seaman
Neville Adams Southgate Pearce
Anderton Platt Gazza McManaman
Shearer Sheringham

A bench containing Fowler, Ferdinand, Flowers, Ince, Sol Campbell

How did we not win that tournament? I think the Gods just weren't with us. Certainly the best England football team in my lifetime and the most exciting to watch. And that includes the 1990 team.

I know it's a different era now but that England team would beat most current international teams.

How many of our current crop of bottlers would get anywhere near that team? Any of them?
the short answer is .. they weren't good enough on the day, but just my opinion.

The 4-1 v Holland is probably the best home performance in my time of watching England. We played some superb football at times that night. Loved Euro 96, the country really got into it and for a time we felt destined to win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back