English players are weak...we think we are making them men but we're creating babies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes right but im literally sick of hearing about them, The national team is boring and nothing comes close to following Sunderland.

Everything about the national team makes it almost impossible to passionately support them, Southern bias, Friendlies and qualifiers at a corporate Wembley, dull football, overpriced and overpaid footballers who cant lace the boots of other nations in skill or commitment yet prance around like they are gods gift.

If you are English and have ONE good performance on debut in the Premiership your almost guaranteed a 4/5 year deal probably trebling your current deal, its sickening.
This.

Fuck em

We all know that these guys are pampered, spoiled and overpaid. So what do they give back in return? Very little in the case of our club.

They are supposed to be professional footballers. Well, when Sam arrived at Sunderland he discovered that many of them (possible all) were not even fit. How professional is that?

In the ghastly game against Iceland the professionals who were supposed to be opening up Iceland by playing wide on each side repeatedly took the ball down the centre or very slightly to each side and once they were confronted by a defender they stopped, turned back and either passed the ball back to midfield or ran pointlessly along the edge of the penalty area. No attempt at all to take the defender on and reach the bye line to provide a cross to the centre. This against a supposedly pub team! I can only suppose that these so called professionals lack cojones and/or cannot kick a football with each of their feet. They train for about three hours a day. At the most. How about staying back and practising? Professionals? Don't make me laugh. Or perhaps these poor little dears were frightened of the nasty, rough Icelanders. It looked as though they were. Though why that should render Kane incapable of putting a corner beyond the first defender beats me. As does the decision to get a striker to take the corners, even one known to be firing blanks as he is.

Ok, Hodgson screwed up big time. But we saw 11 supposedly experienced professionals that lacked enough grey cells between them to work out that the when an opposing team is packing the goalmouth the idea is to tempt or draw them out, and get behind their defence. Hell's bells I learned that when I was at school. Their notion was to do a Colback and wander about from left to right about half way into the Icelandic half. Surely they could have taken enough time off listening to music to watch the previous Iceland games on the TV. Or could they just not be bothered? Perhaps if they had they then they might have learned about Icelandic throw-ins and actually stir up enough energy to defend them. Which they continued not to do even after they had conceded from one.

Both goals were ridiculous. We all know that. Professionals? Are they hell. Not a leader or a professional amongst them. They are a bunch of overpaid, over pampered kids who are not, I hope, the best that England can offer. But we may never know that because no Englishmen from any other club will ever be picked because their so call managers cannot be arsed to find out what else is on offer. I suppose £3.5 million a year is not a big enough salary to motivate the lazy bugger to take a few flights or train rides.

Ok. Rant over. I feel better now. I reckon I will go back to not watching England.
Who in the England 23 would run nonstop, Chase everything, track back, charge forward? 1 Mansfield and he's just picked up a PL medal for having that attitude

Great article.
I think it's a national problem, not exclusive to football. The youngsters are too soft, mine included. They don't appreciate what they've got, mollycoddled from day one. I'm the same generation and was probably the same.

Most people get humbled and have to grow up when they go out into the world, do a days work and start battling to pay bills. These lads don't have to do that and are weaker mentally as a result.

I'd agree with this and I can use myself as an example. When I left school my parents found me two apprenticeships which I quit after only a few months because I couldn't be arsed and wanted to sit on my arse talking to my mates on my xbox. This attitude left my dad particularly exasperated as he has worked his bollocks off since the day he left school. It wasn't till a few years later that I realised what an idiot I was. I don't think it would be much of a stretch to say the attitude I had then is still prevalent amongst a lot of young people.

I'd agree with this and I can use myself as an example. When I left school my parents found me two apprenticeships which I quit after only a few months because I couldn't be arsed and wanted to sit on my arse talking to my mates on my xbox. This attitude left my dad particularly exasperated as he has worked his bollocks off since the day he left school. It wasn't till a few years later that I realised what an idiot I was. I don't think it would be much of a stretch to say the attitude I had then is still prevalent amongst a lot of young people.

Yep that's spot on. My lasses kid is 13 and is really into designer clothes and crap like that (he couldn't tell the difference between Armani and Primark but at that age it's all about the logo and trying to look cool in front of your friends and any lasses you hang about with). He wants expensive polo shirts, jeans and all that stuff. He realises we can't afford to keep him constantly getting new clothes so he asked how he could make extra money. I said that at 13 he could get a part time job for a few hours a week if he wanted or he could wait till he was a bit older (15 or so).

He started saying he'd look into it because if he could do 8 hours or so a week he'd get 60 quid or so. As soon as I told him that he wouldn't get the adult minimum wage and that his 8 hours would likely get him nearer to £16-20 a week he said he'd rather not bother then. It is fairly crap money like, but it just sums up that unless they think they're going to be able to get everything they want, a lot of kids just can't be arsed. Work 5 weeks at £20 a week and you could get a mint polo shirt, or a good pair of jeans or whatever but no, too much work so it'll just be continuing to try and convince mam to spend money she doesn't have on shit he didn't need

Yeah I can totally relate to this. I admit I had a lazy attitude that stemmed from complacency and just wanting to mess about. It was alien to my dad as well. I'm the same age as Rooney and Milner, the generation Carragher is referring to.
Like with you the penny eventually dropped but if someone was paying me millions and telling me I was great (like an England player) I'd probably still be too soft, mentally weak and not in the 'real world'
Grafting, bills, kids and the shit that most of us go through has made me appreciate what my parents did for me.

The foreigners I've worked with have talked of the 'lazy attitude' of their kids growing up here and how in their country the kids realise from a much earlier age what kind of work ethic it takes to progress. Sometimes struggling makes people more humble.

Spot on in my opinion, very well argued article that sums up our players very accurately. They are f***ing spoiled whimps with no backbone or manliness about them at all.

My only problem with the article, which I accept is a good piece, is that in many ways it's just saying what we already know. Of a lot more interest is how we address it. Players aren't going to become any less molly-coddled so simply stating that it's a fact isn't much help. German, Italian and Spanish players are paid a fortune too, they're often at big clubs early in their career, they've often come through an academy, they've probably got people doing a lot of things like sorting out car insurance etc for them but, crucially, they still perform at tournaments so we need, imo, to look less at sticking the boot into how our players live and look more at how we can get them competitive

What a load of crap. Carragher spouting shite he was no good at tournaments either. It's all well and good criticising players he played with now, what was he doing about it at the time?
There is no evidence whatsoever that this generation are any softer than those that went before them.

I remember reading an article on a young English lad at Chelsea (I think it might have been Ruben Loftus-Cheek) a few years ago. He hadn't played a first team game at the time but was highly rated and had other teams looking at him apparently. They then decided to give him a long term deal on twenty or thirty grand a week and I don't think he'd even turned 18 at the time. Where is the motivation for someone to knuckle down and work hard to "make it" when big clubs are dishing contracts out like that? It's absolute nonsense and totally wrong.

I know a couple of our academy players were on £5k per week from the age of 16 to tie them down as other clubs were sniffing about. Neither got a sniff of the first team and both have since been released. Problem is that the players hold all the power in that situation - there would be meltdowns on here if we had a youngster on our books who turned out to be a superstar at another club because we wouldn't pay him enough to keep him here. Clubs obviously think it's worth taking the risk and writing off £250k per year on these youngsters' wages as it's nothing in football terms really and you make it all back if just 1 of them turns out to be even an average player you can sell on for a few million quid. I don't think it does the players any favours though in the long term - too much money at that age makes them complacent and lazy, they think they've made it already. I know of development squad players who don't do enough gym work because it's "boring and too hard" and also have turned down loan moves because they don't want to be away from home ffs.

Not all of them are like this obviously - just look at Jordan Henderson who is a model pro and came on leaps and bounds from the age of 16/17 due to sheer hard work, leaving behind others who looked better than him in the academy and are now nowhere to be seen. We need more like him and for what it's worth (this isn't after-eventing, I said it before the tournament), I'd have had him and Milner in the England starting eleven. Neither are world-beaters (although they're no mugs and do have quality) but what they guarantee is hard work and good attitude. I bet neither of them would have buckled so pathetically against Iceland. I would stick Barkley in the same boat too - got a bit of physical presence about him, some skill, can strike a ball, looks to play through balls, looks to beat people etc - even if it doesn't always come off he will keep trying instead of always playing it safe. I'm surprised more people haven't been mentioning those 3 in particular who never got a look in at the Euros. Why? So Rooney can play in midfield (who has never played there in his career until recently)? So Wilshere can come off the bench and do nowt? Sturridge and Sterling flouncing about flattering to deceive (tbf Sturridge was out of position, another fuck up by the manager)...I'm not sure these are the characters you need when it comes down to the crunch.

Aside from the inept performance it was after full time which got to me.

The three players including hart lying about our 6 yard box pulling faces and twisting on like babies at the final whistle. Hodgeson went straight down the tunnel to resign -he should have been on the pitch playing war with his players. Eventually Rooney came and picked them up.

Hodgeson everyone knows your finished man! But take your medicine, answer for the team and offer your resignation to the fa in due course.

Apparently the fa are looking into our constant failure, well theres where to look. Gutless, obscenely overpaid, media entitled, self serving soft cocks -- manager included.

You are well beaten by a massive underdog what should happen is you stay on the pitch and clap them off. The game is done, at least try to retain some self respect and show some sportsmanship.
Pleased my kids had been packed off to bed well before I had to explain what a spineless bunch their national team were.

Obviously im disappointed with the result but that's a football game, the way they went on after is what ill remember.
when I look at this game and some of the fall out from the referendum it makes me worry about the yellow streak running through the national psyche at the minute.

3 times labour have been in power since the 2nd world war.
On each occasion, upon being voted out, unemployment, national debt, where higher, and a larger trading deficit than when coming to power.
But hey, don't let facts get in the way of Tory bashing!
Thatcher's Policies decimated the Northeast, but on the other hand it produced, Gascoigne, Wadlle and Shearer.;)

The bubble which is mentioned is so much of the modern game. Footballers as mentioned earlier in this conversation can have 1/2 good games get a big contract to 'stop others getting them' and live in the football game comfortably even if in reality they are average to crap. Once you are in the game of football you are always going to find a club...its a no brainer.....you could be the worst keeper or forward in a relegated team and low and behold someone either being promoted or still in the prem will buy you as 'they have premiership experience'......instead paying out 30k plus for wages on a poor player instead of allowing their academy to gain games and flourish. Players are in a bubble created by a 'perfect' set of football facilities/situations etc and not wanting to upset them or them to get their hands dirty. Academy players used to clean boots and really work for bits of money......now once you've passed your driving test you can get a dirt cheap deal on Mercedes A-class or above (I'm talking like £100 a month etc insurance included) through the PFA as it is good advertising for the dealership with a link to the PFA. They literally don't live in the real world.....yes they work hard (and they do) to becoming a professional and have a talent but they live in a bubble or invisibility which sometimes gets some of them in trouble i.e. drunken brawls, speeding or worse in some cases. Money money and again money has developed football brilliantly....however at a cost in some respects

3 times labour have been in power since the 2nd world war.
On each occasion, upon being voted out, unemployment, national debt, where higher, and a larger trading deficit than when coming to power.
But hey, don't let facts get in the way of Tory bashing!

Don't let anything get in the way of Tory bashing.

"Weak" :lol:
It's got fuck all to do with weak. It's laziness and f***ing horrendous management by the Owl and the FA

I think it's a combination of many things. Being weak mentally was certainly one of them as they visibly wilted under pressure.

Not the first time I've heard ex players, now coaches talking about young British kids, how some will only play at academies and how many get a contract and think they know it all and don't listen and want to learn afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back