English players are weak...we think we are making them men but we're creating babies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great article.
I think it's a national problem, not exclusive to football. The youngsters are too soft, mine included. They don't appreciate what they've got, mollycoddled from day one. I'm the same generation and was probably the same.

Most people get humbled and have to grow up when they go out into the world, do a days work and start battling to pay bills. These lads don't have to do that and are weaker mentally as a result.

Absolutely mate. Wasn't it Ravel Morrison who had 3 good games at the start of the season before last and had his wage trebled by West Ham? Where is he now?
I remember reading an article on a young English lad at Chelsea (I think it might have been Ruben Loftus-Cheek) a few years ago. He hadn't played a first team game at the time but was highly rated and had other teams looking at him apparently. They then decided to give him a long term deal on twenty or thirty grand a week and I don't think he'd even turned 18 at the time. Where is the motivation for someone to knuckle down and work hard to "make it" when big clubs are dishing contracts out like that? It's absolute nonsense and totally wrong.

I remember reading an article on a young English lad at Chelsea (I think it might have been Ruben Loftus-Cheek) a few years ago. He hadn't played a first team game at the time but was highly rated and had other teams looking at him apparently. They then decided to give him a long term deal on twenty or thirty grand a week and I don't think he'd even turned 18 at the time. Where is the motivation for someone to knuckle down and work hard to "make it" when big clubs are dishing contracts out like that? It's absolute nonsense and totally wrong.
Theres been another who at 18 is demanding "assurances" over his future. Apparently his agent was asking for thick end of 50k a week and first team football. This kid was 17 or 18 for fucks sake!

Theres been another who at 18 is demanding "assurances" over his future. Apparently his agent was asking for thick end of 50k a week and first team football. This kid was 17 or 18 for fucks sake!
At Chelsea? It's f***ing ridiculous man! Assurances over his future, maybe the club could ask for assurances too. Or tell him to fuck the fuck off.

Didn't Johnson use this as an excuse, saying he was still mentally a kid or something because the clubs do everything for them

Didn't Johnson use this as an excuse, saying he was still mentally a kid or something because the clubs do everything for them
There's been a few cases over the years of players being caught driving without tax or insurance because they rely on others to sort it out for them. Pampered arseholes.

There's been a few cases over the years of players being caught driving without tax or insurance because they rely on others to sort it out for them. Pampered arseholes.

Wonder how it compares with the Italians etc

That article is spot on , but I also think the manager doesn't have full control over who makes the squad. How else can you explain Wayne Rooney being accommodated time after time or Jack Wilshire getting picked over Danny Drinkwater?

At Chelsea? It's f***ing ridiculous man! Assurances over his future, maybe the club could ask for assurances too. Or tell him to fuck the fuck off.
Domenic Solanke http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...ek-contract-plus-firstteam-role-a3233941.html

Also just read that the England players didnt go to the somme war memorial as the "performance director" thought it would be "too draining" for them!! Might have given some of these overpaid twats a bit of f***ing perspective!!

It's Carragher and it's the Daily Mail but some interesting thoughts on the current generation from someone who must have an idea of what's going on.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ar...making-men-creating-babies.html#ixzz4CueTXX8M
Well said Carragher., spot on.
Todays generation can't think for themselves, do anything for themselves, mollycoddled. Just look when a player is subbed even. One of the coaching staff will come over as he comes off with a tracky top. At the same time probably whispering, " left hand in first son, now turn a little and try and push your right hand thro that gap on the other side ".

Well said Carragher., spot on.
Todays generation can't think for themselves, do anything for themselves, mollycoddled. Just look when a player a player is subbed even. One of the coaching staff will come over as he comes off with a tracky top. At the same time probably whispering, " left hand in first son, now turn a little and try and push your right hand thro that gap on the other side ".
Generation snowflake.

That article is spot on , but I also think the manager doesn't have full control over who makes the squad. How else can you explain Wayne Rooney being accommodated time after time or Jack Wilshire getting picked over Danny Drinkwater?

They do have full control of who makes the squad, they just continually take the safe option. Does anyone genuinely believe that the sponsors say "you have to pick Rooney"? The fact is that Rooney was an obvious pick, and other than the Iceland game was about our best player. That's not saying much, but he justified his inclusion which is more than a lot of them did.

Wilshere going was because, for whatever reason, Roy loved him and thought he could get fit by the latter stages (expecting we'd get there) and provide something different. In hindsight it's obvious that he didn't trust Barkley, in which case Drinkwater should have gone ahead of him, rather than ahead of Wilshere. But again, the sponsors certainly wouldn't be giving a fuck whether Jack bloody Wilshere went or not

A spot on article especially regarding mental weakness.
There were other other issues namely team selection and tactics, but not being strong enough mentally is probably the most telling.
It's ironic really because overall I think the technique of English footballers has improved, yet they appear mentally and physically to be soft as shite.
I can remember when we didn't qualify for successive world cups in the seventies, when the Dutch and Germans really came to the fore. We were told we were still admired for our up and at them attitude, will to win and effort, but until we improved our overall technique we'd always struggle to win tournaments, because that alone wasn't enough.
Ironically while the academy system has been concentrating on improving those techniques somewhere along the line we've lost that ingrained English doggedness that we had, it simply isn't there anymore in most of our footballers.
I saw several several English players pull out of 50/50 tackles the other night Rooney and Wilshere among them, unforgivable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back