Durham on Di Canio

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOYCEY

Striker
When Paolo di Canio got the job at Sunderland I said in this column that he wasn’t appointed for football reasons.

He was brought in to upset some egos and kick some backsides.

Which is also the reason he’s been sacked.

Believe me, footballers get very upset if a new manager changes their routine. They cry about it to their mates, and before you know it ‘the lads’ are in it together, playing in such a way that the manager’s dismissal becomes inevitable.

Down and out: Paolo Di Canio's methods were not popular with the players and he paid the price

I’ve seen it happen time and time again.
How about the international (not at Sunderland, I hasten to add) who hated new training schedules so much he told his new manager that he saw it as his job to get him the sack as soon as possible?
Or the well-respected player who told his new manager he wouldn’t adhere to the new defensive tactics because he preferred playing a different way? Both times – the manager was sacked after a matter of months.
I’ve read stories about players being upset about di Canio’s rules on chatting with club staff. Forget whether the Italian was right or wrong to impose a rule like that. Instead, ask yourself this: should that affect player performance on a Saturday afternoon? Really?

Sinking feeling: Sunderland players look dejected as former striker Stephane Sessegnon scored for West Brom

Do you honestly believe it’s logical that players perform worse if they’re not allowed to chat to the tea lady? How unprofessional is that? Are they all big babies or what?
And apparently there is outrage at a di Canio rule that youth team players couldn’t use the gym if a senior player was already in there. One of the biggest problems in English football is young players thinking they’ve ‘made it’ before they’ve achieved anything in the game. People long for the days of apprentices cleaning boots and showing respect to management and senior pros. Yet this rule brought in by di Canio to keep young players’ feet on the ground has been criticised.

Don’t feel sorry for the players at Sunderland. They’re well-paid, and they play football all day. Life wasn’t so unbearable for them.
They were given a manager who asked difficult questions of them. They couldn’t be bothered to work harder, so they contacted the board and got him the sack.

They preferred the old ways of no demands, no expectations, and no achievement. Remember this was a group of players who couldn’t be bothered to do their jobs properly for a man like Martin O’Neill.
The fans might get all excited if they beat League One Peterborough in the Cup tonight, but it’s a game that should be comfortable for any Premier League side. The fans deserve more than a routine cup win. Sunderland is a club that has been mediocre or worse for years and years.

Heading for the exit: Paolo Di Canio was sacked by Sunderland after just 13 games

The players have got their way, so they’d better start producing something decent. Until they do, the fans should treat the players with the contempt they deserve – they were unprofessional, they under-performed, lost games, and eventually forced the manager out.

Di Canio wasn’t perfect, and I can’t see him managing in the Premier League again. His strict disciplined regime didn’t go down well with players who prefer an easy life. Had they embraced his methods, Sunderland might have been successful – we will never know.
The sad state of the Premier League these days means managers have to be nice to players or you lose the dressing room and the players get you the sack.
Speaking to Swindon players about di Canio, they tell me they were so hungry for success they were ready to go along with what he wanted.

That tells you all you need to know about the hunger of the Sunderland players.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz2foKw2NHh
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Kevin Keegan - Rattling red and whiters since 1982!

When Paolo di Canio got the job at Sunderland I said in this column that he wasn’t appointed for football reasons.

Believe me, footballers get very upset if a new manager changes their routine. They cry about it to their mates, and before you know it ‘the lads’ are in it together, playing in such a way that the manager’s dismissal becomes inevitable.

Down and out: Paolo Di Canio's methods were not popular with the players and he paid the price

How about the international (not at Sunderland, I hasten to add) who hated new training schedules so much he told his new manager that he saw it as his job to get him the sack as soon as possible?
Or the well-respected player who told his new manager he wouldn’t adhere to the new defensive tactics because he preferred playing a different way? Both times – the manager was sacked after a matter of months.
I’ve read stories about players being upset about di Canio’s rules on chatting with club staff. Forget whether the Italian was right or wrong to impose a rule like that. Instead, ask yourself this: should that affect player performance on a Saturday afternoon? Really?

Sinking feeling: Sunderland players look dejected as former striker Stephane Sessegnon scored for West Brom

Do you honestly believe it’s logical that players perform worse if they’re not allowed to chat to the tea lady? How unprofessional is that? Are they all big babies or what?
And apparently there is outrage at a di Canio rule that youth team players couldn’t use the gym if a senior player was already in there. One of the biggest problems in English football is young players thinking they’ve ‘made it’ before they’ve achieved anything in the game. People long for the days of apprentices cleaning boots and showing respect to management and senior pros. Yet this rule brought in by di Canio to keep young players’ feet on the ground has been criticised.

Don’t feel sorry for the players at Sunderland. They’re well-paid, and they play football all day. Life wasn’t so unbearable for them.
They were given a manager who asked difficult questions of them. They couldn’t be bothered to work harder, so they contacted the board and got him the sack.

They preferred the old ways of no demands, no expectations, and no achievement. Remember this was a group of players who couldn’t be bothered to do their jobs properly for a man like Martin O’Neill.
The fans might get all excited if they beat League One Peterborough in the Cup tonight, but it’s a game that should be comfortable for any Premier League side. The fans deserve more than a routine cup win. Sunderland is a club that has been mediocre or worse for years and years.

Heading for the exit: Paolo Di Canio was sacked by Sunderland after just 13 games

The players have got their way, so they’d better start producing something decent. Until they do, the fans should treat the players with the contempt they deserve – they were unprofessional, they under-performed, lost games, and eventually forced the manager out.

Di Canio wasn’t perfect, and I can’t see him managing in the Premier League again. His strict disciplined regime didn’t go down well with players who prefer an easy life. Had they embraced his methods, Sunderland might have been successful – we will never know.
The sad state of the Premier League these days means managers have to be nice to players or you lose the dressing room and the players get you the sack.
Speaking to Swindon players about di Canio, they tell me they were so hungry for success they were ready to go along with what he wanted.

its hard to refute a lot of that.... and i hate the helmet

I love the fact people use how much someone earns as a mark as to how much shit they should accept.
Paolo was a fuckwit who created an unhappy place to work.

Pretty good sum up really. I read somewhere about When Don Howe was at Arsenal he used to make the youth players walk the long way round to get to a training pitch or something, instead of using the first team door which took you there quickly. When they complained he would tell them they had to earn the right to be in the first team to use the door. Only something daft, but imagine if Di Canio did that? The outcry would be how pathetic he was and that he alienated the youth players and many had rang Esther on Childline to complain about it

I love the fact people use how much someone earns as a mark as to how much shit they should accept.

Partially true but there's no way the players arent at least to blame man, not being able to trap a ball or pass 10 yards is shocking and some players do this regularly in games.

PDC going looks like its been the right thing to do but some of the players we have are a disgrace

Some say people on minimum wage should take crap jobs as they should be thankful for at least having one, when so many don't. Players earning 30-60 grand a week are bullied when someone shouts at them and stops them having sauce, and fining them for turning up late for a meeting at 10 am.

Partially true but there's no way the players arent at least to blame man, not being able to trap a ball or pass 10 yards is shocking and some players do this regularly in games.

PDC going looks like its been the right thing to do but some of the players we have are a disgrace
That has nothing to do with why he was sacked though.[DOUBLEPOST=1380031155][/DOUBLEPOST]
Some say people on minimum wage should take crap jobs as they should be thankful for at least having one, when so many don't. Players earning 30-60 grand a week are bullied when someone shouts at them and stops them having sauce, and fining them for turning up late for a meeting at 10 am.
Is that all it is? I dare say it isn't.

Agreed. You can take reassurance from the fact that he's only saying it because it will get a reaction though and he probably doesn't really believe it! It completely contradicts other stuff he's said.

the problem is one of methods and execution.

everything pdc was trying to change at the club had a basis in logic

fitness, diet, training rest. more professional attitude and cutting out safc drinking culture

then he got a rush of blood to the head and went tyrant.
ergo the application of that logic went bunny killer.

the upshot is that the culture that he was trying to revolutionize may raise its head again, or still even get worse

what we need now is to continue the revolution but do it in a way in which the players don't soil themselves

I think he's right....they seemed to play well for him the first few games....i reckon they have been a wee bit sneaky the players and not performed....which makes them scum.

Fuck me I always thought he hated us bit of sympathy for once off him

the problem is one of methods and execution.

everything pdc was trying to change at the club had a basis in logic

fitness, diet, training rest. more professional attitude and cutting out safc drinking culture

then he got a rush of blood to the head and went tyrant.
ergo the application of that logic went bunny killer.

the upshot is that the culture that he was trying to revolutionize may raise its head again, or still even get worse

what we need now is to continue the revolution but do it in a way in which the players don't soil themselves
Couldn't agree more again! As someone on here yesterday said Di Canio talked logically but acted emotionally.

That has nothing to do with why he was sacked though.[DOUBLEPOST=1380031155][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is that all it is? I dare say it isn't.

It's why some of the performances have been so poor though and it seems as if it's been a mixture of the performances and him being insane

I think PDC had to go on the face of it but most of the players will have turned on him for self serving reasons rather than for the good of the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back