Do people really understand or prioritise their dogs? Would you pay to improve their life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

This smacks of something you tell the kids, when in reality you've taken the poor bugger behind the shed and blown it away with a shotgun.

I know the OP well and can tell you he would be first class and totally trustworthy I will certainly be recommending him

Best of luck marra
Couldn't agree more! Any dog owner who cares about their companion/family pet, having the piece of mind knowing that their dog will be able to get some exercise and company in the times they're at work for let's face it, a fraction of a monthly wage is an absolute steal!

Boils my piss these people who buy dogs on a whim then just neglect them.

I've been fortunate enough to have two dogs in my life, one died at 16 years old and the other at 15. It just shows that nurture and a little tlc goes a long way.

All the best with your new venture!

If I was using it i would probably pay for 2-3 times a week not 5 because if shifts. I reckon there would be a few people the same.

So not everyone would be paying the amounts you quoted and more likely to go for it (unless you are only wanting clients who will pay for the days)

One of life's great pleasures walking a dog ....
So when we had ours we managed to move both our work schedules to fit round his two proper walks a day..

Apart from missing him terribly I also miss those bracing winter walks.

Wouldn't have got a dog personally if we had to get him walked and looked after by someone else, and we could have afforded it

Good luck btw in your venture

The way I have always been too. People should not be allowed a dog if they leave it alone for 9/10 hours a day. You sound a good owner marra.

Its not £12 a day, charging for a day people charge £15/20 and need their own premises. Could not possibly undercut to half price. Instead of £12 I would be looking for £10. meaning £50 rather than £60 a week.

I understand friends wont turn around and say its shite, I am well aware of this, infact my frustration is one or two of them thinking its going to be easy, I am the one who is a realist here.

Good points and agree.

This is just my first step, dont want to do this for rest of life but its something I can do whilst potentially training to be a dog groomer, cut their nails etc. Then could get premises and make much better living.

If I can get 5 people out of the thousands I can reach in my local area to do the 30 minutes per day of feeding etc that would give me £150 a week. I already have 3 people wanting 1 hour walks per day for £50 each a a week. That would give me £300 a week for working monday to friday finishing no later than about 3pm, would be similar to what I was getting spending 40 hours a week in a call centre I f***ing hated.
What does your girlfriend do with her dog Billy while she is at work?

You could target the dog breeders and sell it as an add on to people who are buying puppies that crave and need lots of attention?
Good idea marra

If I was using it i would probably pay for 2-3 times a week not 5 because if shifts. I reckon there would be a few people the same.

So not everyone would be paying the amounts you quoted and more likely to go for it (unless you are only wanting clients who will pay for the days)
Will put my business number and personalise deals. To be honest in the early days to get business off ground I will probably bending over backwards to accomodate people and give discounts depending on demand. 3 days a week would be fine if people wanted that service.

Last edited:
One of life's great pleasures walking a dog ....
So when we had ours we managed to move both our work schedules to fit round his two proper walks a day..

Apart from missing him terribly I also miss those bracing winter walks.

Wouldn't have got a dog personally if we had to get him walked and looked after by someone else, and we could have afforded it

Good luck btw in your venture
Cheers mate. I agree. Would not get a dog unless I had these things sorted beforehand. However if peoples lives change etc I would rather take this service than give a dog away like some people I have seen.

Place just down the road from me is 17 quid over night. 12 quid day. Lots of variations for dog size.

Has about 45 mutts during the day. 20 on average at night. More on the weekend.

Must easily be averaging 600 - 700 quid a day. 7 day a week. Practically all year around business.

To be fair though they have the proper kennel set up, enclosed fencing, play paddock etc... and probably employ a student or 2 to help out.

I have been looking at potentially opening a business in next few months, part of a service would be picking up dogs in custom van and taking them for walks in luxurious/various parks, going to someones house during the day to feed their dog and take them for a little walk, let them stretch their legs and break the day up for them and many more things.

I have a few people who have already wanted to have this service and be clients, this is from not even advertising. However the pattern with the clients I have so far are they genuinely adore their pets, like one of the kids and also earn quite a bit more than the usual worker, more disposable income per month than I used to earn full time in a call centre in some instances.

My prices would be undercutting everyone, but as it stands people are paying £12 a day 5x a week for their dog to be walked an hour per day, thats £240 a month. Even undercutting those prices I can see its bloody expensive and marketing to the ''richer'' areas is going to be a probable strategy.

One of my services which is better than anyone else is £6 a day for myself or colleague to go to someones house once per day for 30 mins. In that time would feed the dog, take for little walk and keep them company a bit. That 5x a week for £120 a month for a person would be best offer around and give dog a better life than sitting in a room on their own for 8+ hours a day (40+ hours a week).
Now even that personally I can see how thats still a dent on the normal person who on average gets £1200ish a month. By the time they pay bills and say have £400 left for themselves (being generous maybe), reducing that down to £280 for a dog that they are used to leaving indoors all day for is hard, even as a huge dog loving puff I can totally understand that.

Was talking to a lass last night and she has a gorgeous little mini dog that she dresses up and uses as a fashion accessory, told her about my business and she was like ''luckily my dog is only small and doesnt need anything like that, plus its too expensive''. Here lies the problem, she goes to work at 9:30am and gets home at 6:30pm, in which time her dog is kept between her back garden and her conservatory/wash house thing to keep warm and dry. She isnt the only person to think its fine to own a dog and give them a life like this, not to guilt anyone :lol:. The most frustrating thing is priorities in life and how dogs are viewed. This lass said it was ''too expensive'', yet spends at least £15 a week on her fingernails alone, not to mention hairdressers, other beauty treatments etc each month.
I dont mind her and others similar deciding they want to put themselves first in life, but before you get a dog, look at the quality of life you can give them and take into account dogs are like bairns, cant keep getting the luxuries you have had before you became a parent.

A mate of mine (client in future) runs a business and is saying that work hard etc and the business will work as its a great idea. However what I have explained to him is its a big cost. My mate earns on average £5k per month, he doesnt understand that even the lowest package of £120 can make massive difference to people. £120 to someone who earns £5k with maximum £1500 outgoings is hardly noticable, £120 to someone with £400 left after bills is setting themself short.

Expecting replies of ''fuck off they are just dogs man'' :lol:
Interesting id ea , i wish anybody starting off in business allnthe best , you have kbviously put a lot of thought into this.

You need a license and insurance iirc .
What license do you need ?

Our dog walker charges £15 a day and is fully booked. Takes the dog 10-4pm if we book him in.
10-4pm , so that would be a dog minder ?
The OP is talking about charging £10 for having the dog for 30mins .

Last edited:
Interesting id ea , i wish anybody starting off in business all the best , you have obviously put a lot of thought into this.
Cheers mate

Place just down the road from me is 17 quid over night. 12 quid day. Lots of variations for dog size.

Has about 45 mutts during the day. 20 on average at night. More on the weekend.

Must easily be averaging 600 - 700 quid a day. 7 day a week. Practically all year around business.

To be fair though they have the proper kennel set up, enclosed fencing, play paddock etc... and probably employ a student or 2 to help out.
Aye thats my eventual aim one day. Step 1 is dog walking, feeding etc. Step 2 dog grooming. Step 3 premises where can look after multiple dogs and make £100s a day.

Takes dog. Walks dog on their 10.30am pack walk, takes him home then goes out on the 2.30pm pack walk and gets back at 4pm. Two walks, company all day. Use it for cover when I'm working away or family aren't around.

Takes dog. Walks dog on their 10.30am pack walk, takes him home then goes out on the 2.30pm pack walk and gets back at 4pm. Two walks, company all day. Use it for cover when I'm working away or family aren't around.
Class mate, good that your dog goes on walks and has mate dogs. How much you pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back