Do once decent players ever return to top level form..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Alfred

Striker
After a long period of being shit. I used to really rate Richards but can we safely assume a different manager will be able to get him back to his previous best. Are there many examples of this happening?

Richards is a funny 1 cos he wanted to play centre half and he did but was shit at it. He's always struck me as a decent right back. He is still better than Jones and can cover centre back if required. Not the worst signing if it comes about. Other than that not sure. Fletcher at west brom has been a good player for them despite being on the wane at man united for a while, sometimes it could just be down to getting some games

Good question; I think not. SWP, Sterling, Rodwell and 'he who can't be named' are recent examples of Fallen players (all ruined by City's smash and grab money men as it happens). Richards is another. Once the mojo's gone its game over. Imho.

Good question; I think not. SWP, Sterling, Rodwell and 'he who can't be named' are recent examples of players, ruined by City's smash and grab money men. Once the mojo's gone its game over. Imho.

A lot of Leicester's title winning team had previous mixed/low key careers but I'm struggling to think of any who were rated very highly then had seasons in the wilderness....Richards was rated at £25m years ago when Man U were circling.

A lot of Leicester's title winning team had previous mixed/low key careers but I'm struggling to think of any who were rated very highly then had seasons in the wilderness....Richards was rated at £25m years ago when Man U were circling.
?? That's a different thing though? Lesser rated players, who become improved later in their career.

Chris Waddle at a push? Did nowt after big money move to Spurs then rejuvenated at Marseille and Sheffield Wed. Gary McAllister? Well rated coming into the game then disappeared and reappeared. Struggling to think of others.

Too much too soon, if they get their hunger back yes but it's a tricky one, I wouldn't buy him tbh but if he was on a free I'd take a chance.

He has never been good IMO. Was just a media hype job because he was good at the gym when he was only 21. He was one of those where people said he was 'good' when he was young because they expected him to get better due to his age, He never did. Was arguably the worst player in the league last season.

After a long period of being shit. I used to really rate Richards but can we safely assume a different manager will be able to get him back to his previous best. Are there many examples of this happening?

The answer is:

Yes.

And you need look no further than kaberl in second half of season last year. He finally shook off repeated injury woes that had plagued him in recent seasons and re-found top form.

That said, he is an exception rather than the rule... and Rodwell illustrates that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back