Di Canio - The Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

:lol:

The blokes a wanker, every bit as big a wanker as Poyet.

Sorry a miles bigger wanker.

Can't wait til its 12 o'clock
The problem, for me, is supporters keep bleating on about continuity, giving the manager more time to get things right, acknowledging new players and managers need to bed into a club before judging them then constantly complain about the ups and downs which are normal for any manager /coach / club. Wenger, Ferguson, Moyes, Rogers and others have all had long non-winning sequences with their teams.

On the other hand, in some managerial instances, including Di Camio, those in charge were barely given any time to show their mettle, prove their worth. In the previous season, Di Canio won two and drew two other games from his first seven in charge. Poyet secured the same Number of points at the start of his reign from the first seven games.

Of course that's where the similarities ended. Di Canio then had one draw and a cup win from the first six games of the new season with virtually a new team of fairly useless signings, made by Di Fanti , learning how to play together. So he was sacked after gaining one draw and a cup win from the first six games. Poyet steadied the ship mostly with monotonous draws. Of course Poyet eclipsed Di Canio's weak efforts later with his team playing 9 games without a win between February and April 2014 with two points from 27. But he was given more time and the well-known "miracle" happened.

The point is this. Had Di Canio been given a reasonable amount of time would he have turned the team and the club round? We don't know. All we know is Poyet didn't despite him talking a good game, blaming the players, the fans, Congerton, Short ... Di Canio wasn't given that chance! He was eccentric, brash, outspoken, almost certainly OCD and a perfectionist. But I do regret the answers to my questions one way or the other will never be given.

I dunno, possibly lining up 4-2-4 most of the time, turning into a 2-4-4 on the attack and not having a clue why were were an absolute bloody shambles?

Loved the idea of PDC but he was a bloody nightmare after the 3-0 then Everton.
Of course I suppose you had that conversation with Di Canio to come to those conclusions?

For me Poyet was much worse, sitting back on his haunches week after week trying to implement a system and blaming the players lack of ability for it being unsuccessful.

Last edited:
The problem, for me, is supporters keep bleating on about continuity, giving the manager more time to get things right, acknowledging new players and managers need to bed into a club before judging them then constantly complain about the ups and downs which are normal for any manager /coach / club. Wenger, Ferguson, Moyes, Rogers and others have all had long non-winning sequences with their teams.

On the other hand, in some managerial instances, including Di Camio, those in charge were barely given any time to show their mettle, prove their worth. In the previous season, Di Canio won two and drew two other games from his first seven in charge. Poyet secured the same Number of points at the start of his reign from the first seven games.

Of course that's where the similarities ended. Di Canio then had one draw and a cup win from the first six games of the new season with virtually a new team of fairly useless signings, made by Di Fanti , learning how to play together. So he was sacked after gaining one draw and a cup win from the first six games. Poyet steadied the ship mostly with monotonous draws. Of course Poyet eclipsed Di Canio's weak efforts later with his team playing 9 games without a win between February and April 2014 with two points from 27. But he was given more time and the well-known "miracle" happened.

The point is this. Had Di Canio been given a reasonable amount of time would he have turned the team and the club round? We don't know. All we know is Poyet didn't despite him talking a good game, blaming the players, the fans, Congerton, Short ... Di Canio wasn't given that chance! He was eccentric, brash, outspoken, almost certainly OCD and a perfectionist. But I do regret the answers to my questions one way or the other will never be given.

Of course I suppose you had that conversation with Di Canio to come to those conclusions?

For me Poyet was much worse, sitting back on his haunches week after week trying to implement a system and blaming the players lack of ability for it being unsuccessful.
We have to have the correct man in position for them to be given time, Di Canio was not that man. A loose cannon who preaches professionalism but then gives his players stick in public.

Going onto the bad signings De Fanti made for him. Di Canio stated he had the final say and took credit for the good signings like Borini and Ki. He also stated Altidore was one of the best young strikers in europe. I would take what he says with a pinch of salt. Poyet steadied the ship by making us a better side, it was a s clear as day.

The point is, is that Di Canio is an absolute helmet and we're well rid of the fucker.

People don't like him because he upset the players and criticised them in public, something Poyet did consistently but more subtly

In my opinion Poyet was a lot worse as he publicly questioned their ability using that as a get out clause for all his shortcomings. He was an absolute snake.

Whereas DiCanio did not question their ability, but was very open and critical of players attitudes, commitment and also sometimes made reference to particular performances on the pitch. I know a lot of supporters did not like him openly questioning the players - but I personally think the players should be more accountable than they actually are as we all know it is the manager that gets sacked not them.

Quite often I thought he was stating the obvious and just asking the same questions as any supporter would - like he was unsure of what JOS was thinking of when he go sent off at CP, questioning Ki's commitment when he did not go for the header, asking why PB was in a nightclub at 5 o'clcok in the morning (drunk) when was due in for training at 10 the following morning, questioning PB's commitment when he got a half sleeve tattoo when we were still in a relegation battle because he did not want to get it close of season as it would spoil his holidays, etc, etc. I could go on.

For me personally, he just injected a little bit of passion and excitement back into the club that had been sadly lacking under MON.

Poyet is comfortably a bigger bellend.

Both total wankers, Di Canio more so IMO.

I thought Di Canio was just what we needed and was gutted it didn't work out. Other than the Gary Rowell hat trick at St James's the 0-3 under Di Canio was the best day I can remember watching Sunderland. Maybe not the best performance but the overal day was just the stuff of dreams.

Yes it all went belly up not long afterwards - but how much blame can be apportioned to Di Canio/De Fanti/Poyet/Short etc etc is all about opinion.

Football is about remembering the good times and Paolo served up one of the best for me.

Everyone involved at that time need to take their share of the blame for the shambles that occurred but unfortunately everyone involved blamed each other rather than taking responsibility.

Last edited:
We have to have the correct man in position for them to be given time, Di Canio was not that man. A loose cannon who preaches professionalism but then gives his players stick in public.

Going onto the bad signings De Fanti made for him. Di Canio stated he had the final say and took credit for the good signings like Borini and Ki. He also stated Altidore was one of the best young strikers in europe. I would take what he says with a pinch of salt. Poyet steadied the ship by making us a better side, it was a s clear as day.

The point is, is that Di Canio is an absolute helmet and we're well rid of the fucker.
I think you are quite wrong on Di Canio having the final say on signings. That was Poyet. He insisted on this as part of his contract. I can direct you to the Guardian article if it helps. Regarding Altidore, Di Canio would, of course, build up any player recommended to him. What would be the point in doing otherwise? We don't know if, after a few games, he would have been dropped by PDC but we do know he was played incessantly by Poyet thus depriving an eleventh team member from playing - someone who could stand on two feet and occasionally pass and shoot instead of falling on his backside and missing open goals.

If you want to make comparisons about signings, then look no further than Poyet, MON, Keane and others for rank bad signings and money wasted. All Di Canio did was make the best of the signings given to him by Di Fanti. None of the fourteen on the written list given to Di Fanti, were bought. Of course we now know why ... because of the purse strings being reigned in by Short. But Di Canio was given no time at all to find this out for himself.

I think you are quite wrong on Di Canio having the final say on signings. That was Poyet. He insisted on this as part of his contract. I can direct you to the Guardian article if it helps. Regarding Altidore, Di Canio would, of course, build up any player recommended to him. What would be the point in doing otherwise? We don't know if, after a few games, he would have been dropped by PDC but we do know he was played incessantly by Poyet thus depriving an eleventh team member from playing - someone who could stand on two feet and occasionally pass and shoot instead of falling on his backside and missing open goals.

If you want to make comparisons about signings, then look no further than Poyet, MON, Keane and others for rank bad signings and money wasted. All Di Canio did was make the best of the signings given to him by Di Fanti. None of the fourteen on the written list given to Di Fanti, were bought. Of course we now know why ... because of the purse strings being reigned in by Short. But Di Canio was given no time at all to find this out for himself.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paolo-di-canio-ill-final-4000088

Was he telling porkies?

I think at the time that was how he envisaged it, but I do not think it quite worked out like that.

IIRC after DiFanti started making several purchases he did make several quite public pleas to get him his "English" midfielder (which I think actually meant midfielder with premiership experience).

He was aware that he had made quite a few transfer errors at Swindon buying a lot of foreign players who either were not good enough or took too long to adapt and kept staying he did not want to make a similar mistake.

For what it is worth (and I know absolutely nothing), I personally think Poyet had more influence that DiCanio over who was signed by the club.

His touchline antics against Newcastle probably ranks as one of the greatest things SAFC has given me in the past 15 years (cup final excluding).

Well said.

I don't care how sour it went with PDC in the end, that derby win and his goal celebrations was the greatest "Fuck You" statement in our recent history. A truly stunning win which no one could possibly have seen coming. Winning a trophy would probably be the only thing that could top that day.

I think at the time that was how he envisaged it, but I do not think it quite worked out like that.

IIRC after DiFanti started making several purchases he did make several quite public pleas to get him his "English" midfielder (which I think actually meant midfielder with premiership experience).

He was aware that he had made quite a few transfer errors at Swindon buying a lot of foreign players who either were not good enough or took too long to adapt and kept staying he did not want to make a similar mistake.

For what it is worth (and I know absolutely nothing), I personally think Poyet had more influence that DiCanio over who was signed by the club.
When he left he took credit for the successes iirc.

Funny that

I am not sure - I think he was pleased with the Mannone, Borini & Ki signings as they all had the Premiership experience he craved. And I know the other week, when Poyet was sacked, he was claiming to have performed the "real miracle" the season before. An exaggeration, but I have to say the Newcastle match was one of the more memorable supporting Sunderland.

Obviously Advocaat has a lot to live up to following in the footsteps of two miracle makers, but hopefully he can start building his legacy on Sunday!

His touchline antics against Newcastle probably ranks as one of the greatest things SAFC has given me in the past 15 years (cup final excluding).

I get you.
Years of the same boring shite watching Swindon home and away then suddenly some identity, passion and naming the f***ing arseholes that took my club down, pissed, unfit and waiting to be paid. Got rid of them all.
Strikes the same nerve.
He gave the club back to the Supporters.
Made me want to run on the pitch at my age :)
Still had to end and would have loved it if it worked out for you.
More than happy where we are now and living within our means after our backer pulled out. Could be s damn sight worse.

He was a nutcase and could never have had a long term future with us. But he got us the 0-3 and kept us up. No matter how crazy the bloke was, for that we have to be thankful.

Me too, the slap, not one slap but three, the equaliser that was offside and Pardew's reaction, the players going loopy, PDC sliding along on his knees and just when you thought it couldn't get any better....a Mag punched a horse. He actually punched a horse man :lol::lol:
The gift that keeps on giving! FTM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back