Di Canio - The Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think it was a bit of a culture shock after the MON era (not that I am suggesting that it acceptable).

I recall after the the last match of the season he gave a (rather long) press conference and a Times journalist wrote that no-one in the room could disagree with anything he had said, but he would gone by Xmas as the players would not accept his new "regime".

I still think he could have been a good manager like.

If i had a choice between him and Poyet (with players giving 100% for both managers) i would choose PDC any day of the week.

I thought Di Canio was just what we needed and was gutted it didn't work out. Other than the Gary Rowell hat trick at St James's the 0-3 under Di Canio was the best day I can remember watching Sunderland. Maybe not the best performance but the overal day was just the stuff of dreams.

Yes it all went belly up not long afterwards - but how much blame can be apportioned to Di Canio/De Fanti/Poyet/Short etc etc is all about opinion.

Football is about remembering the good times and Paolo served up one of the best for me.

Order these in madness:
1) Being a millionaire and kicking car wing mirrors off.
2) Shitting on dressing room floors.
3) Falling out your car pissed mortal whilst your colleagues play a cup tie.
4) Being arrested for sexual offences.
5) Blaming everyone but yourself for your own shortcomings.
6) Speaking with passion and honesty... And banning tomato sauce.

He was an absolute heed case who will never be a top flight Manager again. However, that day, the way he just went up there and owned the fuckers from the minute he gave all those charver hecklers the eyes after getting off the bus, right up until he'd give the Sunderland fans the 0-3 hand gestures. I'll always remember him for that, that's derby day folklore right there.

This is absolutely spot on for me. From the moment he stepped off the bus, the slap on Pardews head and the celebrations. He may not have lasted long and made some bad decisions but that day will live with me forever as one of the best supporting Sunderland. Just the passion and how much he wanted it stand out for me.

Order these in madness:
Don't forget pushing a referee, asking to be took off after the ref doesn't give you a couple of decisions.

Order these in madness:

Di Canio was every bit as bad and arguably even worse than Poyet for blaming absolutely everyone and everything other than himself for his ineptitude.

Don't forget pushing a referee, asking to be took off after the ref doesn't give you a couple of decisions.

Or walking off the training ground when he couldn't be arsed. The idea of him being some top professional is a complete myth.

In the short term he would definitely have taken us down last season, probably in spectacular fashion.

But, in the long term I believe he would have sorted the cultural problems at the club. He gets stick for wanting to improve the nutrition of the players, but that's basics for a professional IMO, and it's not like it was Steve Bruce asking for it, he was no hypocrite.

I don't understand why there is so much hatred towards him? He had passion, he was committed and he spoke a lot of sense - although I appreciate that he execution was not great because as you say he was wasn't in touch with the modern footballer?

People don't like him because he upset the players and criticised them in public, something Poyet did consistently but more subtly

People don't like him because he upset the players and criticised them in public, something Poyet did consistently but more subtly

Nah, it's just that he was a shit manager. Completely clueless tactically. He put a lot of emphasis on fitness but presumably forgot to train with the ball. On the pitch, the team was absolutely dreadful. Things might have gone tits up for Poyet in the end, but at least when he came in he attempted to implement some kind of system and attempted to address some of Di Canio's massive tactical flaws.

Nah, it's just that he was a shit manager. Completely clueless tactically. He put a lot of emphasis on fitness but presumably forgot to train with the ball. On the pitch, the team was absolutely dreadful. Things might have gone tits up for Poyet in the end, but at least when he came in he attempted to implement some kind of system and attempted to address some of Di Canio's massive tactical flaws.

What tactical flaws specifically?

What tactical flaws specifically?
I dunno, possibly lining up 4-2-4 most of the time, turning into a 2-4-4 on the attack and not having a clue why were were an absolute bloody shambles?

Loved the idea of PDC but he was a bloody nightmare after the 3-0 then Everton.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back