CR2 or DNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 550D uses the CR2 format for RAW files, .. is there any benefit to converting to DNG on import?

One thing I've found is that the meta data regarding historical changes to an image in Lightroom are stored INSIDE the DNG..

With a CR2,you also have to have to corresponding XMP files.

From an administrative point of view, not having to copy two files is a slight advantage. But suppose you want to extract the original (unedited) image from the DNG, is it easy and are free tools available?

DNG is an open standard isn't it? Whereas cr2 and the likes are proprietary... In time cr2 might be trickier to work with as the standards and software evolve..

I just wondered if anyone has used them in a workflow and can compare and contrast to CR2.

just converted a few of mine. And played with them in lightroom. There is nowt to compare and contrast, LR behaves no differently with them.

What is a little worrying though, DNG is approx 15-20% smaller than CR2. What's getting hoyed out when you convert?

just converted a few of mine. And played with them in lightroom. There is nowt to compare and contrast, LR behaves no differently with them.

What is a little worrying though, DNG is approx 15-20% smaller than CR2. What's getting hoyed out when you convert?

Compression

Coming from a computer background it could just be an improved lossless compression algorithm. A bit like going from Zip to Rar. Better compression usually (not always) means slower compression/decompression.

If it's using a lossy compression to achieve this, then it can fook off.

Confirmed, it's lossless, which is good.

Compatibility

I have the latest Windows 7 64-bit drivers for DNG. In Windows explorer and Windows Live photo gallery the image is corrupt when converted from Lightroom 4.

I've tried it in Google Picasa 3.9 application which uses it's own internal drivers, and it's corrupt too.

Windows photo viewer is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back