Covent Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without doubt the best weekend supporting Sunderland, probably always will be. It's definitley something to tell the grand kids about one day.

I think the combined state from Bardsleys goal through to Toures equaliser was the best thing I've experienced in football. It makes you wonder what's the place would be like if we actually got success.

My quote is inspired from a full social club in Manchester singing verse & chorus before the game at Old Trafford, easy to say now but it was just obvious we were going to win looking back.

Woke up at about 5am in the hotel room and scanned facebook, my phone had lost battery on the night out so I was catching up on loads of photos from Covent Garden. I'd somehow missed the whole Pardew headbutt saga that had happened that Saturday and got the Jeff Stelling reaction video on, woke the room up laughing.

That clown from up the road, at the time, in his own way, added to the greatness of the weekend.

Without doubt the best weekend supporting Sunderland, probably always will be. It's definitley something to tell the grand kids about one day.

I think the combined state from Bardsleys goal through to Toures equaliser was the best thing I've experienced in football. It makes you wonder what's the place would be like if we actually got success.

My quote is inspired from a full social club in Manchester singing verse & chorus before the game at Old Trafford, easy to say now but it was just obvious we were going to win looking back.

Woke up at about 5am in the hotel room and scanned facebook, my phone had lost battery on the night out so I was catching up on loads of photos from Covent Garden. I'd somehow missed the whole Pardew headbutt saga that had happened that Saturday and got the Jeff Stelling reaction video on, woke the room up laughing.

That clown from up the road, at the time, in his own way, added to the greatness of the weekend.

We arrived at about 1.30, dropped our bags in hotel and headed straight to O'Neills near Kings X. They had the scores on telly but no sound. The laughter that slowly rippled through the pub as word, and then videos, spread of the Pardew incident was fantastic.

Absolutely brilliant weekend that for once wasn't spoiled by the result. Yes we lost but we lost with immense pride.
One thing that will stick with me from that weekend was when we all moved from Covent garden up to Leicester square, I had my Sunderland flag tied round my back and we basically turned a busy cross roads to a standstill. Everybody singing and bouncing about and some foreign couple came up to me and asked "how many did Sunderland win by?" My response being "we don't play till tomorrow" the look on their faces was amazing!! They replied with "WHAT?! Why is everybody partying then?"

Any videos kicking about of that? Didn't show it when I went back and watched it on Sky+.

Don't have a video. Photos aren't the best as I was underneath shooting up but should give you an idea.

[photo="medium"]2663[/photo]
[photo="medium"]2664[/photo]
[photo="medium"]2665[/photo]

Last edited:
A year ago :eek: f***ing hell

If only we'd beaten bloody Bradford we could have been on the cusp of another trip

I had to work the saturday night so didnt get to London til Sunday morning. Gutted looking at the footage in Belfast international haha

Someone posted a picture of Covent garden a few days after, when it was all cleaned up. I never knew there was a road there with all of us there. Thought it was pedestrianised paths everywhere.

Went back to Covent Garden in October when in London. Was like returning to the scene of a crime, but a happy one. Simply amazing weekend but the Saturday night in particular will stay with me forever. I did kiss a tramp on the mouth though, not in a gay way, just a happy brotherhood way. Hangover the next day was unreal, but then Benno, Mickey Harford and Alex Rae sat on table next to us for breakfast.

Legendary stuff, hope we can do it again soon.

Went back to Covent Garden in October when in London. Was like returning to the scene of a crime, but a happy one. Simply amazing weekend but the Saturday night in particular will stay with me forever. I did kiss a tramp on the mouth though, not in a gay way, just a happy brotherhood way. Hangover the next day was unreal, but then Benno, Mickey Harford and Alex Rae sat on table next to us for breakfast.

Legendary stuff, hope we can do it again soon.

I went down with Wor lass last August, there are still loads of Sunderland stickers all over the lampposts.

Drove through London yesterday, saw a sign for Covent Garden and had a chuckle. Then passed the hotel where we stayed in Cricklewood for the final in 85 and the chicken shop where we had an early morning debate with some local youths

I admit first day or so I was just gutted,wouldn't speak to anyone it wasn't until I was 'mocked' by some man utd fans, I realised how well we did and how proud I wst

I went into work on the Tuesday and I was such a mess still that they thought I'd taken the Monday off because the match had been on he Monday.

I was having severe alcohol withdrawl, shakes, sweats, paranoia; I didn't sleep for the majority of that week and people kept telling me to see a doctor.

To think we only went to Covent Garden because Trafalger sq was closed. I remember 98 in Trafalger sq and it was quality but the lack of pubs meant Covent Garden was a better location

Drove through London yesterday, saw a sign for Covent Garden and had a chuckle. Then passed the hotel where we stayed in Cricklewood for the final in 85 and the chicken shop where we had an early morning debate with some local youths
After covent garden we went to a south carolina fried chicken shop en route to the hotel. There was a sunderland supporter by himself asleep on one of the tables. Not face first or owt, but lying flat out on a table in the fetal position. He looked as comfortable as fuck as well.

Amazing weekend :cool:

Several people asked me for my daughters ticket claiming she was too young to go. When I saw her in Covent Garden sitting on her big brothers shoulder singing her heart out, I knew I'd made the right decision.

When we got to Covent Garden tube station, we could hear singing behind us as we left the train. When we got in the lift, some daft lads piled in singing "all aboard the Gus lift" so we got chatting to them, then lost them in the crowd. Then the following day, we took our seats at Wembley and the same lads were sitting in the row in front :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back