Could have had LVG in 2009?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theboybev

Central Defender
Bill Bradshaw on SSN just saying that Quinny nearly appointed Van Gaal in 2009! LVG's missus was keen to come to England at the time but for some reason the deal never got over the line and we appointed Bruce!! :eek::eek:

How would we have fared if he had come. Could we be Euro regulars, cup winners etc? Ah well, never mind, we'd have missed all the fun of the relegation battles had we done so.

On-wards in true Sunderland style..............:D

Bill Bradshaw on SSN just saying that Quinny nearly appointed Van Gaal in 2009! LVG's missus was keen to come to England at the time but for some reason the deal never got over the line and we appointed Bruce!! :eek::eek:

How would we have fared if he had come. Could we be Euro regulars, cup winners etc? Ah well, never mind, we'd have missed all the fun of the relegation battles had we done so.

On-wards in true Sunderland style..............:D
we never made an offer and we don't know if he'd have accepted..otherwise yes you're right

No we couldn't have. Niall mentioned this months ago. Van Gaal's missus encouraged Niall to give it a go, but it was a non-starter. We didn't opt for Bruce ahead of him. We settled for him.

We appointed Bruce on June 3rd. LVG joined Bayern on July 1st.

Quoting Quinn- "It was interesting. We opted for Steve Bruce and he got us a top ten finish."

We appointed Bruce on June 3rd. LVG joined Bayern on July 1st.

Quoting Quinn- "It was interesting. We opted for Steve Bruce and he got us a top ten finish."

I love Quinny but, generally, he's not one to let facts get in the way of a good anecdote. I am sure he had heard of LVG, and they even a couple of telephone conversations at one point, it seems, but he knows now, as well as he did then, there was no chance of him coming. The fact he was managing Bayern just a few weeks later speaks volumes. There is no way in hell we knocked him back for Bruce.

I love Quinny but, generally, he's not one to let facts get in the way of a good anecdote. I am sure he had heard of LVG, and they even a couple of telephone conversations at one point, it seems, but he knows now, as well as he did then, there was no chance of him coming. The fact he was managing Bayern just a few weeks later speaks volumes. There is no way in hell we knocked him back for Bruce.

This. I'm also guessing that NQ didn't quite tell it the way this bloke selling his book has spun it (though I wouldn't be massively surprised). I'm guessing "We opted for Bruce" shouldn't be read as "We opted for Bruce over van Gaal" but "We opted for Bruce when we realised van Gaal and his wife were taking the piss".

This. I'm also guessing that NQ didn't quite tell it the way this bloke selling his book has spun it (though I wouldn't be massively surprised). I'm guessing "We opted for Bruce" shouldn't be read as "We opted for Bruce over van Gaal" but "We opted for Bruce when we realised van Gaal and his wife were taking the piss".

I'm sure if anyone asked Van Gaal for his version of events, they'd get nothing but a blank stare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back