Connor Wickham

Status
Not open for further replies.

PISTON

Striker
Ive watched this lad closely since he first joined. Forget about goals for a second. He's finally given himself a reason to be on the pitch in open play.
To me the 89 minutes when he doesn't score are far more important than the 1 minute when he does. That's because in my book without the 89 minutes there is no 1 minute.
When he drifts he's got some of the good elements of Bendtner in his game. He's starting to use his body well to shield the ball and he's comfortable moving with it at his feet. He's becoming a decent outlet.

Ive watched this lad closely since he first joined. Forget about goals for a second. He's finally given himself a reason to be on the pitch in open play.
To me the 89 minutes when he doesn't score are far more important than the 1 minute when he does. That's because in my book without the 89 minutes there is no 1 minute.
When he drifts he's got some of the good elements of Bendtner in his game. He's starting to use his body well to shield the ball and he's comfortable moving with it at his feet. He's becoming a decent outlet.
Absolutely 100% agree with this , mind you could be th heat .
9.40pm and its 94d here in vegas.:lol:

I really do rate wickham and do hope he signs a new contract but for me he has to be played up top, he's in no way shape or form a left winger!

Why has this guy not signed a new deal.....is it purely down to money or does he think his career will develop better elsewhere?
bit of both. If he winds his contract down then he rather than us will receive the transfer fee. Minus any fees we'll get from a tribunal.

I really do rate wickham and do hope he signs a new contract but for me he has to be played up top, he's in no way shape or form a left winger!

Literally or metaphorically?

He hasn't been playing as a left winger.

He was for the first half at Birmingham and it really didn't work. Second half he moved more central and higher up the pitch alongside Jozy; much better.

He was for the first half at Birmingham and it really didn't work. Second half he moved more central and higher up the pitch alongside Jozy; much better.

Didn't see the Birmingham game so can't be sure but the line up would suggest we still went 433 with Wickham as the left sided forward........which isn't the same as a left winger. In the absence of a Borini/Welbeck/Kalou type of signing Gus is either going to have to change formation or one of our strikers has to get used to playing wide left.

Didn't see the Birmingham game so can't be sure but the line up would suggest we still went 433 with Wickham as the left sided forward........which isn't the same as a left winger. In the absence of a Borini/Welbeck/Kalou type of signing Gus is either going to have to change formation or one of our strikers has to get used to playing wide left.

I did go to Birmingham and Connor stayed very wide most of the time in the first half. Even switched wings with AJ at one point. This surprised me and I even moaned to my lad about it.

Second half he played as a forward and we were much more effective. Giacch could have played wide left.

That said, the team picked was as much about giving some players time on the pitch as anything and we did win. It will be interesting to see how we line up tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back