Congo

Status
Not open for further replies.

He didn't create the mess but either way, it's his job top get us out of it.
I started a thread a week or two ago questioning whether or not he had enough status in the game to be able to get things done and call in the odd favour.
Whether you like it or not, or even think it's unfair, having a background on the pitch makes a difference to edge open doors. I would take phone calls from any old team mates and even opposition. I'd readily take calls from ex-managers and coaches.
Would i take calls from randoms i don't even know? Possibly, but there'd be no bond and no personal connection. Sorry, that isn't being aloof, it's just how it is.
It's a fair point but in today's game, money talks. It's hard to say much about him at the minute, Gus is sticking the knife in as he wanted players sooner, but perhaps Congerton wants to make sure that the players he brings in are the right ones, even if it takes a bit longer to get there. Truth is, nobody knows but we will soon enough. Come the end of August (and to an extent the beginning of the season) we can all make our own conclusions about whether or not he's done a decent job thus far.

Do you really think that not being a former player or otherwise is hindering our recruitment drive ?

It doesn't look like it's helping. There is of course a way to combat that lack of inside connections, the cheque book. It's one or the other, and we have neither.

It's a fair point but in today's game, money talks. It's hard to say much about him at the minute, Gus is sticking the knife in as he wanted players sooner, but perhaps Congerton wants to make sure that the players he brings in are the right ones, even if it takes a bit longer to get there. Truth is, nobody knows but we will soon enough. Come the end of August (and to an extent the beginning of the season) we can all make our own conclusions about whether or not he's done a decent job thus far.

Do you really think Congerton is ensuring these are the right players at this stage? I'll bet that plan went out of the window a month ago. It looks like he's flapping around from pillar to post as much as any in our history.
Sorry but nothing ive seen up to now suggests an organised plan. I'm STILL trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but to me it looks like a f**king shambles.

Last edited:
It doesn't look like it's helping. There is of course a way to combat that lack of inside connections, the cheque book. It's one or the other, and we have neither.

You nor I know that. There will be a multitude of reasons I expect and the two players we seem to be after in Rodriguez & borini, have every right to fuck us off.

They are quality players after all. £££££ maybe, maybe not. There's nothing official on either yet so keep calm!

Self fulfilling prophecy - started off by saying that we didn't have a lot of money and that we'd sign loan players on the last day of the transfer window.

Hoping for a little bit more assertiveness and proactive operations to be apparent.

Self fulfilling prophecy - started off by saying that we didn't have a lot of money and that we'd sign loan players on the last day of the transfer window.

Hoping for a little bit more assertiveness and proactive operations to be apparent.
Assertiveness? what is he supposed to do grab agents/players by the throat and demand a decision?

You nor I know that. There will be a multitude of reasons I expect and the two players we seem to be after in Rodriguez & borini, have every right to fuck us off.

They are quality players after all. £££££ maybe, maybe not. There's nothing official on either yet so keep calm!

PISTON is always calm. We aren't close to being as strong as we were last season yet though, never mind improving. Plus many of those last year were already bedded in. Every day that goes by leaves less time to work with team mates. Just about every other club will have a headstart on all fronts.

Happens every window.

PISTON is always calm. We aren't close to being as strong as we were last season yet though, never mind improving. Plus many of those last year were already bedded in. Every day that goes by leaves less time to work with team mates. Just about every other club will have a headstart on all fronts.

Which ones exactly?

Do you really think Congerton is ensuring these are the right players at this stage? I'll bet that plan went out of the window a month ago. It looks like he's flapping around from pillar to post as much as any in our history.
Sorry but nothing ive seen up to now suggests an organised plan. I'm STILL trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but to me it looks like a f**king shambles.
Maybe, like I say, until the window is shut we can't say. A lot of the stuff in the press could just be rumours, even the stuff about that f***ing onion or whatever, the quotes attributed to Gus were from some obscure Uruguayan radio station or something. I'm with the majority that I would have liked/ expected to see a couple more new faces by now but until we are in a position where we can do no more 'til January it's almost pointless even speculating about Conga and his ability to get players in at the moment.

Which ones exactly?

All the ones that have pretty much the same core team as last year. That's probably all of them bar southampton. Many of the rest have added to the core teams that were already better than us.
Difficult to speak about the promoted teams but QPR may make a go of it.

I think it's a bit different this time. Normally we add a few to the core. In my opinion we've lost a significant chunk of the core that we usually do.
This is no longer a top up.

A top up you say?

Have you just woken up or something? Our manager has said he wants quality not quantity. So do you really think its that easy to get them in if we have a budget?

I've not a clue myself and like you i am a tad frustrated but, having petulance is at this time ( July) isn't going to help.

Last summer was a disaster.

A top up you say?

Have you just woken up or something? Our manager has said he wants quality not quantity. So do you really think its that easy to get them in if we have a budget?

I've not a clue myself and like you i am a tad frustrated but, having petulance is at this time ( July) isn't going to help.

We need quality and quantity though. We're not just adding a couple of players to last years team, we're missing half of it before we even start.

A top up you say?

Mannone, Borini, and Ki weren't too bad imo mate

He's brought in four players that in and of themselves are perfectly decent and we have fullbacks who fit the system at last. All we know about the rest of his job is that he got Liverpool to agree to sell Borini, but Borini is reluctant to come to us; and we might have been about to sign Rodriguez but now we're probably not. Oh and we bid decent money for a decent defender who was just using us to get a better deal.

We don't actually have anything to suggest there's anything wrong with what Congerton is doing, apart from the rantings of people who need to change their Tena Lady pants and some f***ing cockwombles who are intent on destroying any decent football discussion with their torrent of cunt diarrhoea

We need quality and quantity though. We're not just adding a couple of players to last years team, we're missing half of it before we even start.
Haway man, it is not that bad. See Southampton or Blackpool ffs if you think our squad is threadbare.

We've brought four in and there's over a month to go.

If come 1st September we've got no more, then I'll share you sentiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back