Completely random SAFC stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

We've conceded more than 4 goals in a home game once since 67-68. What was the year, score and opposition?

'Tis true, actually. The times that we were 8th, 18th and 22nd only occurred for a few hours due to us playing an early kick-off, or teams that had a later kick-off bumping us back down the table after a couple of hours, and so don't show up on the stats sites.

I remember us hitting top spot and one of the pundits on Sky Sports making mention of the fact that we'd created history that day because of the fact that we'd been in every position possible that season.
It was actually days, not hours so even more impressive that it was after a days fixtures were completed and not due to early/late kickoffs ;).

8th on Tuesday 23/01/07 as Stoke again won to go above us with their game in hand. Our last game was Saturday 20/01/07 with no coming midweek game for us. All teams within 3 points of us either way having played 29 games and no team with games in hand could go above us.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/sunderland/2006-2007/table/2007-01-23

18th on Monday 6/11/06 as Stoke won to go above us with all teams on 16 games played as we played on Saturday 4/11/06.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/sunderland/2006-2007/table/2006-11-06

22nd on Tuesday 12/09/06 as Derby won to go above us as we hadn't yet played our midweek game (7th) which was on Wednesday 13/09/06 and we beat Leeds.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/sunderland/2006-2007/table/2006-09-12

I'm slightly sceptical. Neither statto.com nor statcat has us as 8th, 18th or 22nd. Nice try though.

Most stat sites show the position at the end on the day the fixture is played and not the minute it finished or the changes in position due to other teams games played on different dates.

Still a bit dubious for that reason. Who could remember for sure it never happened before?

If someone has all the League results and what day they were played then they could simply knock up a program to check what position a team was in after every day that had a fixture played. After each fixture day table is generated, save each teams position data to a database and then after the season is completed, see if any of the teams occupied every position. Wouldn't be hard for some to do in my opinion if they have all the records of football results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tommy Lynch only made four starts for Sunderland in a 'career' with us that seemed to last a lifetime.

His knees were also on the wrong way round

Involved in a match which saw the greatest number of supporters never to actually see a game. The Good Friday match between the Mags and us at Sid James in early 1900s was abandoned because of the huge number of fans, some estimated 120000. That a riot erupted at the decision was a more usual occurrence.

That's gone up by about 50,000 since I first heard about it

Last edited:
The first game at Roker Park was a 1 v 0 win over Liverpool FC.
The last game at Roker Park was a 1 v 0 win over Liverpool FC.

The last away team to win at Roker Park was Southampton.
The last away team to win at The Dell was Sunderland.

Thomas Hauser scored the last goal of the 1980s and the first goal of the 1990s for Sunderland.

Sunderland only ever win the Cup when it is the Chinese Year of the Ox - remember some punter on a radio phone-in pre-Milk Cup Final 85 using this as his grounds for stating that we were sure to beat Norwich...

We've conceded more than 4 goals in a home game once since 67-68. What was the year, score and opposition?
I was going to put we have never conceded more than four at home at the SoL. I only moved here in 1988 but had no idea the record was that good. One of the four goal games was Huddersfield when Jon Stead scored twice.

Only team to win a wembley cup final where an orange ball was used.
Only team to win the FA Cup and not play in the Charity Shield?
Orange ball was for colour TV wasn't it?

Costel Pantillimon is the tallest player to have played for Sunderland.

Milton Nunez is not the shortest player to have played for Sunderland. The honour goes to John Harvey from the Team of All the Talents.

Kevin ball away to the mags - only player to crash the ball against his own cross bar from the centre spot passing back to the goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back