Coady

17.5 million for him and Winks crazy money. Never a fan of big cash for other teams cast offs.

Just highlights further what teams with no parachute payments are competing against.

I know they've sold Maddison for big money, but they'll still have a monsterous wage bill at this level.

As things stand, relegated teams are essentially being rewarded with a couple of seasons of a free hit to get back up.

The whole system needs a massive overhaul.

Just highlights further what teams with no parachute payments are competing against.

I know they've sold Maddison for big money, but they'll still have a monsterous wage bill at this level.

As things stand, relegated teams are essentially being rewarded with a couple of seasons of a free hit to get back up.

The whole system needs a massive overhaul.

It's not a reward it's to stop teams going bust for getting relegated which is an occupational hazard for 13 teams in the league if we give the Mags a pass with the state money.

Leicester were the 8th biggest revenue club and 7th highest wage bill in the PL. Going from a £200m revenue to about £60m in the space of a year is devastating which is why parachute payments are a good idea. Leicester have the most expensive assembled squad and highest wage bill to ever be relegated in history. We don't want to see good football clubs with 150 years of history going bust.

It's not a reward it's to stop teams going bust for getting relegated which is an occupational hazard for 13 teams in the league if we give the Mags a pass with the state money.

Leicester were the 8th biggest revenue club and 7th highest wage bill in the PL. Going from a £200m revenue to about £60m in the space of a year is devastating which is why parachute payments are a good idea. Leicester have the most expensive assembled squad and highest wage bill to ever be relegated in history. We don't want to see good football clubs with 150 years of history going bust.

I know what they were initially brought in for but they need serious reform now.

I'm certainly not saying I want clubs to go bust, far from it, but the reality is now with the current structure of parachute payments and how they work, clubs that get relegated are being given a huge advantage over other clubs in the division.

Yes, I know it doesn't always work like that, and there's examples of clubs who have made a mess of it, but far more often than not the club with the biggest wage bills will go up.

Here's an idea - maybe don't run a wages to turnover ratio of about 150% if you're worried about the financial implications of relegation?

I like Leicester so don't necessarily want to keep dragging them into my point nor am I specifically referencing them above, but with the Maddison money they can now reinvest that into transfer fees, keep some of their better players/higher earners, and then use the parachute payments to fund an insanely high Championship wage bill, putting them at a massive advantage, likewise Southampton and Leeds (with other players obviously). If the parachute payments were significantly reduced they could sell Maddison and/or other assets, and cut their cloth accordingly with funding wages/signings.

As per The Athletic, Championship clubs with what are essentially rocket booster parachute payments are THREE times more likely to be promoted than clubs without them.

They need to be reformed or very soon it'll be a case of the 3 promoted clubs almost being guaranteed of going back up again within 2 seasons, if it isn't happening already.

Last edited:
£7.5m which is a top 5 all-time transfer fee for a Championship CB.

6 starts in the league all season and rooted to the bench for 25 league games.

Leicester will go up so I'm sure those who were trying to push this as a great signing in the summer will say it was all down to how good he is the dressing room as the reason why, but those who called this as the bonkers signing that it was were spot on.

Leicester look like they’re starting next season with a points deduction. So they’ve clearly not being doing something right with the figures.

The parachute payments are a necessary evil. The PL have spent so much time and money hyping the product around the world and attracting the highest viewing figure and players. Teams need to spend a lot just to try and compete. And the PL want them to do that to maintain the product. You can’t have that barrier to entry and then cast off 3 teams a year out of that league without the parachute. It’s not feasible.

But it does mean that teams coming down are well set to compete at the top end of the championship. It just makes how we came bottom of the championship after being relegated from a 10 year stint in the premier league as even more remarkable a story of club management incompetence !

£7.5m which is a top 5 all-time transfer fee for a Championship CB.

6 starts in the league all season and rooted to the bench for 25 league games.

Leicester will go up so I'm sure those who were trying to push this as a great signing in the summer will say it was all down to how good he is the dressing room as the reason why, but those who called this as the bonkers signing that it was were spot on.
We couldn't afford his wages in a million years but he'd be ideal for us. Experienced players and strong characters who have played at a higher level. If we can go out and get 3 of them in the summer.
Trampoline payments. Not parachute payments!

Last edited:

Back