Clapping on 17 minutes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a chance. It's tedious and attention seeking in the highest order. Should have been done once and once only. Every game ffs :rolleyes:

I just think folks have become too mawkish since the death of Diana. You can't open FB any day it would seem without being bombarded with over sentimental reactions to death. Candlelight vigils, walks through the town with balloons, hundreds of bouquets left at roadsides, or tied to lamposts. Maybe it's because I grew up on a farm just after the war, and I think I'm from that old stoical generation that accepted life, and death in a different way.
Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

A lot of mags I know have been getting sick of it as well.

Time to move on.

Derby games are too frenzied to be worrying about looking at your watch making sure you don't miss the 17 minute mark.

Tidied.

Not a chance. Respects and gestures paid and made. Time to move on, hope we smash one in bang on 17 minutes so they can clap us going mental.

Some of our fans clap owt to show how "classy" and top people they are. There were people standing and clapping during the West Brom game whilst at the same time asking what it was for (it was for Jeff Astle).

I can barely what number minute is on the scoreboard anyway. Not doing it regardless mind.

It was their thing, we showed mutual support and respect when it was appropriate which noone can fault. For everyone else it is in the past now, if they want to keep it going that is their right. We should not be joining in. I'm prepared to review that when we start doing this to commemorate football disasters such as Bradford, Bolton or Altidore.

It Will happen and at least half of our fans will clap, some will say they won't and won't intend to but will get caught up in the moment. Personally I've donated £5 to the cause and laid a Sunderland shirt at the memorial at st James when it happened. I even had a tear in my eye in doing so. I guarantee some mags will think they're above me when they clap and I don't, fuck them, fuck them all, even the 2 lads, it's the attitude they'd want me to have.

It was their thing, we showed mutual support and respect when it was appropriate which noone can fault. For everyone else it is in the past now, if they want to keep it going that is their right. We should not be joining in. I'm prepared to review that when we start doing this to commemorate football disasters such as Bradford, Bolton or Altidore.
Altidore wore number 17. I clap every hour at 17 minutes past to remember him.

Didn't clap in December at their place and certainly won't be clapping on Sunday. We went beyond the call of duty when it happened, on Sunday if they clap I hope no one joins in and it's drowned out with a chant from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back