Catts will take a ban if it means a win...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...ill-take-a-ban-for-a-sunderland-win-1-6926385

LEE CATTERMOLE will gladly accept a game in the stands if Sunderland can get back to winning ways at Crystal Palace.

Black Cats midfielder Cattermole is walking a disciplinary tightrope after collecting a fourth yellow card of the season in last weekend’s defeat to Arsenal.

If Cattermole collects a fifth booking before the amnesty cut-off point of December 31, then he will receive a subsequent one-match suspension as punishment.

But the 27-year-old insists the possibility of an imminent ban hanging over him will not faze him at Selhurst Park on Monday night.

“It’s something I’ve thought about in the last week since the game,” said Cattermole.

“But it’s difficult now. You get yellow cards for nothing.

“If it comes, it comes.

“But my concern is the team. If I was to get booked on Monday night and we win, I’ll happily sit out one game.

“I might go 10 games without a booking, you never know!”

Sunderland head to Palace with their confidence dinted by back-to-back defeats against Southampton and Arsenal, with both games characterised by costly individual mistakes.

Cattermole says Sunderland need to rediscover the resilience they showed in the early exchanges of the campaign, when they lost just one of the opening seven games.

“We’ve got to look to getting back to that hard team to beat which we were at the start of the season,” said the Teessider.

“We need to make people earn the win if they’re going to beat us.

“It’s important for us to go to Palace really focused and have a strong mindset.

“I’m confident with what we’ve got in the dressing room when you look around.

“Palace away is going to be exactly what it sounds like. A battle.

“I don’t think it’ll be the prettiest game for Sky, but we’ve got to go there and be solid and fight for every ball.

“Hopefully if we come away with a clean sheet, we’ll win the game.”

The nature of the 8-0 mauling at Southampton is the result which has cast a shadow over Sunderland, and it wasn’t helped by another couple of defensive howlers against the Gunners.

But Cattermole says Sunderland’s players have had to move on from the mauling on the south coast.

“There’s no explanation for a result like that,” added the former Middlesbrough man.

“I thought the manager handled it well.

“He came and said his piece and then came in on the Tuesday, when we all had chance to reflect and maybe find an explanation for it.

“We drew a line under it and I thought we got back to being a solid team against Arsenal, who are a very good team.

“But we gifted them two goals and if you watch every game that weekend, you have to make teams beat you.

“We’ve got to put that to bed now and move on.

“Every week is a challenge to get three points.

“It’s the way this league is.

“You think you’ve cracked it one minute, but then it comes and punishes you.

“We’ve got to go again.”

As long as he Isn't banned for the derby. I can't see him going that long without a yellow card as he gets yellow cards for just being on the pitch. Vital for us this season!

Needs to get himself booked and get it over with. We lose him for the derby we could be in trouble.

What boils my piss is that because of his reputation he picks up yellow cards that clearly aren't yellows.
booked for being on the pitch. I used to play 11 aside with his older brother, Catts used to phone him after each game. He said Hull last year was the worst example, Catts reckoned any contact with Elmohamady was minimal if any at all yet you could hear the scream from miles away. Infuriating it really is, some of his yellows are admittedly silly but the majority are for fuck all.

What boils my piss is that because of his reputation he picks up yellow cards that clearly aren't yellows.
very rarely he picks up a card because of his 'reputation' 90% of the time he tries to take out a player.

what annoys me about this post, is cattermole will get a ban even if we lose so the whole thing is pointless. trying to say he's taking one for the team, how many of the 4 cards were in winning games?

That won't be a problem.

Last few have been stonewall bookings and got away with a couple.
One last Saturday was necessary, the one v Swansea was a joke.

very rarely he picks up a card because of his 'reputation' 90% of the time he tries to take out a player.

what annoys me about this post, is cattermole will get a ban even if we lose so the whole thing is pointless. trying to say he's taking one for the team, how many of the 4 cards were in winning games?
Similar fouls unpunished v Swansea . Cattermole booked. Why?

As for trying to "take players out " do me a favour. Utter nonsense

Picking up cards in the position he plays is inevitable. As long as he isnt getting needless yellows and getting reds then its fine.

As for trying to "take players out " do me a favour. Utter nonsense

If bridcutt got the same cards for the same fouls cattermole did, people would be after his head.
Seems to be some ignorance surrounding cattermole and just because he has something like 69 yellow cards and we are so used to seeing it, it must be because of his 'reputation'.

booked for being on the pitch. I used to play 11 aside with his older brother, Catts used to phone him after each game. He said Hull last year was the worst example, Catts reckoned any contact with Elmohamady was minimal if any at all yet you could hear the scream from miles away. Infuriating it really is, some of his yellows are admittedly silly but the majority are for fuck all.

Both Elmohammady and Meyler were disgraces during the cup game there. Hell bent on getting Catts sent off, then Meyler had the brass neck to clap the Sunderland fans. Utter cretins.

Absolute rubbish.

That sending off at Hull was the most Cattermole thing I've ever seen. Lost the ball, got frustrated and lunged into a challenge that was never a red bit because of who he is the ref made his mind up straight away.

If bridcutt got the same cards for the same fouls cattermole did, people would be after his head.
Seems to be some ignorance surrounding cattermole and just because he has something like 69 yellow cards and we are so used to seeing it, it must be because of his 'reputation'.
A lot of it is because of his reputation, ive seen loads that were never yellow cards. Hes had some stupid ones aswell which were his fault, but overall hes always going to pick them up when his job is to break up play

If lee never put a foot wrong for the rest of his career he would still be the subject of special scrutiny from referees. Once you have a reputation with those blokes it's very difficult to shake it off. Doesn't help when other footballers go down like there is a sniper in the crowd every time he gets near them. He's no angel we all know that. But even if he turned into one he'd still pick up cards. It's in his character.

No he earned his reputation through sheer stupidity and is rightly given stick for it. However he gets bookings for tackles others don't. See the Swansea game (or was it Stoke?) as a prime example.

Also you're talking utter shit regarding "taking players out"

Last edited:
That sending off at Hull was the most Cattermole thing I've ever seen. Lost the ball, got frustrated and lunged into a challenge that was never a red bit because of who he is the ref made his mind up straight away.
It was never, ever a sending off.

Red carded because the ref was weak and listened to the Hull players. Still a stupid tackle to make but he never touched him and didn't warrant a red card.

It was never, ever a sending off.

Red carded because the ref was weak and listened to the Hull players. Still a stupid tackle to make but he never touched him and didn't warrant a red card.

Tbh looking back he's only dove in like that a couple of it mimes since so maybe it was a blessing in disguise that he had to wise up a bit. He was tremendous after that.

No he earned his reputation through sheer stupidity and is rightly given stick for it. However he gets bookings for tackles others don't. See the Swansea game (or was it Stoke?) as a prime example.
i think the swansea game was when he did a running ddt on a player, so i doubt you mean that game.

kinda like this:
Logon or register to see this image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back