Car Dashboard lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

becs

Had a problem with my car coming home from the match. It's a 2008 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi.

Shortly after leaving the car park, the battery light came on. Then when we were stuck in traffic going past the cemetery, the ABS light and pic of a sliding car lights came on for a few minutes and went back off again, even though I wasn't sliding. The battery light remained on. I stopped at the fish shop and the car started fine but the battery light was still on driving home.

Looked in the manual and it helpfully said if the battery light is on, you have a fault so contact a mechanic.

Car is running as normal and there's no strange noises or anything out of the ordinary happening when I drive it.

Anyone want to guess at what the fault is?

Hope it's nothing serious as I'm in my mental busy season for work and can't really afford to lose days because the car is in the garage.

Had a problem with my car coming home from the match. It's a 2008 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi.

Shortly after leaving the car park, the battery light came on. Then when we were stuck in traffic going past the cemetery, the ABS light and pic of a sliding car lights came on for a few minutes and went back off again, even though I wasn't sliding. The battery light remained on. I stopped at the fish shop and the car started fine but the battery light was still on driving home.

Looked in the manual and it helpfully said if the battery light is on, you have a fault so contact a mechanic.

Car is running as normal and there's no strange noises or anything out of the ordinary happening when I drive it.

Anyone want to guess at what the fault is?

Hope it's nothing serious as I'm in my mental busy season for work and can't really afford to lose days because the car is in the garage.
Where did you park?

Check see if the drive belt is ok, nip to your local car shop they will probably test it for nowt, sounds like a duff alternator if the belt is ok
If i'd known i could have checked it for you on the way home.

it will be a fault with the alternator or wiring going to it, thats if its not the fan belt that has snapped, although it would have overheated too as the fan belt runs the water pump on the 1.8 diesel focus. my moneys on the alternator, common fault on the focus 1.8 tdci. if it still starts and you have a meter it should show around 14.4v whilst running..

in other words, take it to a mechanic.:lol:

Could I have knacked it or is it just one of them things?

I've done seven evening shifts over the last fortnight doing quick calls in takeaways. It's been drive for a few minutes, park for few minutes, then drive for another few minutes and so on. Have done approx 25 shops per night and wondered if all the short journeys have damaged it?

Could I have knacked it or is it just one of them things?

I've done seven evening shifts over the last fortnight doing quick calls in takeaways. It's been drive for a few minutes, park for few minutes, then drive for another few minutes and so on. Have done approx 25 shops per night and wondered if all the short journeys have damaged it?

It's just one of those things. Alternators are notorious on the focus. Just make sure you get it looked at. It's probably not charging your battery, and you could get stuck somewhere when it runs out.

Oh and my money is on the wiring. Not the alternator itself.

Last edited:
it will be a fault with the alternator or wiring going to it, thats if its not the fan belt that has snapped, although it would have overheated too as the fan belt runs the water pump on the 1.8 diesel focus. my moneys on the alternator, common fault on the focus 1.8 tdci. if it still starts and you have a meter it should show around 14.4v whilst running..

in other words, take it to a mechanic.:lol:
Why has the abs/esp light been coming on too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back