Can you install a second hub on a phone line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got Two BT hubs one upstairs one down and plug extenders. I just swap the cable in the router for wherever we need the Internet. The wifi signal in the house is shite due to us being posh and having a really big house and thick stone walls.:cool:
Try homeplugs

ahhh so you can have two hubs but only use one at a time?

I think I'm going to ask my electrician about wiring in cat5 points, I looked at google images of cat 5 leads and they are just ethernet cables right?:oops:

Ethernet can pass over cat 5, 5e, 6 etc but cat 5e cabling is the standard for 10/100 Ethernet - it should allow lengths up to 50m without deterioration of signal and will work on gigabit networks (although only cat6 is certified for gigabit usage). If you need to go for further lengths then cat6 may be required.

Ethernet can pass over cat 5, 5e, 6 etc but cat 5e cabling is the standard for 10/100 Ethernet - it should allow lengths up to 50m without deterioration of signal and will work on gigabit networks (although only cat6 is certified for gigabit usage). If you need to go for further lengths then cat6 may be required.
If the ethernet cable like you say is over 50M get a couple of converters and run fiber optic.

Haven't a clue, hope this helps

I did for a while but the internet kept dropping out
This is a known issue with TP-Link routers. A lot of their models have a tendency to going into a sleep mode that does not wake up correctly. Usually this can be fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting the device you are using to the connection. It is pretty shoddy!

You can also set up a ping, which intermittently polls the connection and keeps it from sleeping.

Aye, very little price difference if any.

No need or point whatsoever to have CAT6 in a home, CAT5e is perfectly fine. EVERY device on the network has to be Gigabit rated for CAT6 to make any real difference.

It's also only needed for several hundreds of devices due to something called crosstalk.

Even in a business environment where the majority of devices are PC's, Laptops, Printers CAT5e is perfectly acceptable. CAT5e is perfectly capable of 1GB speeds under 100 Meters.

The main people that push CAT6 over 5e are cable installers - f***ing clueless gonks.

And yes Miss Ryan there is a cable length limit - work to 100 Meters. You'll also find sparkies know fuck all about IT but claim they do cause it's a cable.

No need or point whatsoever to have CAT6 in a home, CAT5e is perfectly fine. EVERY device on the network has to be Gigabit rated for CAT6 to make any real difference.

It's also only needed for several hundreds of devices due to something called crosstalk.

Even in a business environment where the majority of devices are PC's, Laptops, Printers CAT5e is perfectly acceptable. CAT5e is perfectly capable of 1GB speeds under 100 Meters.

The main people that push CAT6 over 5e are cable installers - f***ing clueless gonks.

And yes Miss Ryan there is a cable length limit - work to 100 Meters. You'll also find sparkies know fuck all about IT but claim they do cause it's a cable.

so whom should I ask to install this wiring if not an electrician?

Homeplugs do not use the earth to transmit on. It would probably not be a good idea to try and connect anything useful to an earth, if something went wrong the appliance and other appliances in the house could become live.

Like I said I wasn't 100% sure it was just a quick comment.
I've checked my adapters and they do use all three wires so earth is used marra.
Also that comment you made about other appliances becoming live if one develops a fault is utter gash, unless your house was wired in the 18th century possibly

No, you cant have multiple routers plugged in and in sync at the same time. Best solution would be to run a cable outside, up the wall in to the loft, then back down the other side and in to the extension part of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back