Can you install a second hub on a phone line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatRyan

Striker
I'm having so building work done and the new rooms out back will have a separate trip box so I can't just use extenders.

Can I run the phone line down and have a second hub?

What would be the best solution?

No..you're thinking of homeplugs. I'm talking about a wireless extender (booster) just in case your signal isn't that strong to reach the extension.
I had to install one in the west wing of the house as the signal from the drawing room wasn't strong enough.

Ahh thank you.

Does it weaken the signal alot?

Can I not just run the phoneline down there and put in another hub?

No..you're thinking of homeplugs. I'm talking about a wireless extender (booster) just in case your signal isn't that strong to reach the extension.
I had to install one in the west wing of the house as the signal from the drawing room wasn't strong enough.
Or buy a decent router in the first place ;)

Ahh thank you.

An extender doesn't weaken the signal :lol:

You don't need to "run your phone line down there" The solution has already been explained.

Last edited:
Ahh thank you.

If you are prepared to run another phone line, then it's better to run another ethernet cable out the back of your router instead (unless you want a landline in the extension)

If you are prepared to run another phone line, then it's better to run another ethernet cable out the back of your router instead (unless you want a landline in the extension)

That will be a nightmare. My hub is at one end of the house and the new rooms are right over the otherside and down.

I'm not sure running a wire is possible, it would have to go through lots of rooms and stairs.

I'm not sure a wireless router would be able to pick up the signal at a good enough strength either.

That will be a nightmare. My hub is at one end of the house and the new rooms are right over the otherside and down.

I'm not sure running a wire is possible, it would have to go through lots of rooms and stairs.

I'm not sure a wireless router would be able to pick up the signal at a good enough strength either.

You're missing the point...the extender (booster) will BOOST the (possibly weak) signal in the extension.
Is it possible to run the cable round the outside wall?

wireless extender most likely wont work , i live in a bungalow tv in kitchen is less than 10m from router , two walls in between ill the wireless signal , older houses with solid walls are a problem.

Not 100% but I think the homeplugs use the earth wiring to transmit on. I'd imagine if you have another 'trip unit' as you call it, that it would be using a common earth.
All depends what you mean by trip unit though

You're missing the point...the extender (booster) will BOOST the (possibly weak) signal in the extension.
Is it possible to run the cable round the outside wall?

The way the building works I just don't think any signal will be there to boost, it is a terrace so no outside wall to speak of.

The way the building is set up I thought the best solution would be to have a separate hub off the phone line down there, I just wondered if you can do that or if I would need a separate phone line and internet account just for the back rooms.

As you describe it, you could have a separate account and hub. This'll be pricey though.

What you could do, depending on where the power sockets are in the old part of the house is use home plugs with wifi built in e.g the AV500. Stick one near your router, put the other at the closest point to the extension and beam in beautiful WiFi.

If the walls are really thick and you can't get a signal through them at all, your second option would be to use homeplugs again (non-wifi ones). Stick one near the router and run a cat5 to it from the router. Add one near the new bit of the house. Then run a cat 5 from there into the new bit and use a Wireless Access Point such as the Ubiquiti UniFiAP. This will then beam glorious WiFi around your new bit. It is quite nice to look at too so, you could place it on show somewhere high on a wall. If you haven't decorated the new bit yet, you could get it chased into the wall.

The way the building works I just don't think any signal will be there to boost, it is a terrace so no outside wall to speak of.

The way the building is set up I thought the best solution would be to have a separate hub off the phone line down there, I just wondered if you can do that or if I would need a separate phone line and internet account just for the back rooms.

As you describe it, you could have a separate account and hub. This'll be pricey though.

What you could do, depending on where the power sockets are in the old part of the house is use home plugs with wifi built in e.g the AV500. Stick one near your router, put the other at the closest point to the extension and beam in beautiful WiFi.

If the walls are really thick and you can't get a signal through them at all, your second option would be to use homeplugs again (non-wifi ones). Stick one near the router and run a cat5 to it from the router. Add one near the new bit of the house. Then run a cat 5 from there into the new bit and use a Wireless Access Point such as the Ubiquiti UniFiAP. This will then beam glorious WiFi around your new bit. It is quite nice to look at too so, you could place it on show somewhere high on a wall. If you haven't decorated the new bit yet, you could get it chased into the wall.

Just another thought, if the work isn't done yet, ask the spark to run some cat 5 from the old bit to the new bit and terminate them properly with cat5 sockets near to power points in the old and new bit. Make sure he knows what he is doing.

You can then use the homeplugs to connect the old bit to the cat5 socket in the old bit and plug your Wireless Access Point into the new bits cat5 socket. Sorted.

Last edited:
Not 100% but I think the homeplugs use the earth wiring to transmit on. I'd imagine if you have another 'trip unit' as you call it, that it would be using a common earth.
All depends what you mean by trip unit though

Homeplugs do not use the earth to transmit on. It would probably not be a good idea to try and connect anything useful to an earth, if something went wrong the appliance and other appliances in the house could become live.

I'm having so building work done and the new rooms out back will have a separate trip box so I can't just use extenders.

Can I run the phone line down and have a second hub?

What would be the best solution?

You might find that a homeplug will work even if it is behind a completely separate consumer unit (trip box). Homeplug range often goes outside of apartments in communal buildings (i.e. your neighbour could potentially get on to your network), which why it is important to use their pairing feature when you set them up in such places. I have used fairly cheap homeplugs on a plug 70 meters from where the receiver plug is, on an outbuilding behind a main power switch and a RCD. I recommend that you borrow a set and give it a try. It might work for you. I would avoid TP-Link though as their power saving features make them a bit temperamental.

Last edited:

Just another thought, if the work isn't done yet, ask the spark to run some cat 5 from the old bit to the new bit and terminate them properly with cat5 sockets near to power points in the old and new bit. Make sure he knows what he is doing.

You can then use the homeplugs to connect the old bit to the cat5 socket in the old bit and plug your Wireless Access Point into the new bits cat5 socket. Sorted.

The last bit might be a possibility.

I guess there's no limit to how long the cat 5 lead can be?

I have a hub point with a multi extension input thing that has some ports free.

I have the electrician coming on Friday.

Homeplugs do not use the earth to transmit on. It would probably not be a good idea to try and connect anything useful to an earth, if something went wrong the appliance and other appliances in the house could become live.

You might find that a homeplug will work even if it is behind a completely separate consumer unit (trip box). Homeplug range often goes outside of apartments in communal buildings (i.e. your neighbour could potentially get on to your network), which why it is important to use their pairing feature when you set them up in such places. I have used fairly cheap homeplugs on a plug 70 meters from where the receiver plug is, on an outbuilding behind a main power switch and a RCD. I recommend that you borrow a set and give it a try. It might work for you. I would avoid TP-Link though as their power saving features make them a bit temperamental.

I've got the bt extenders and I have a few sets of those now as I have loads of stuff that runs off the internet and I do prefer the ethernet cable being plugged straight in rather than using wifi.

Last edited:
I've got Two BT hubs one upstairs one down and plug extenders. I just swap the cable in the router for wherever we need the Internet. The wifi signal in the house is shite due to us being posh and having a really big house and thick stone walls.:cool:

I've got Two BT hubs one upstairs one down and plug extenders. I just swap the cable in the router for wherever we need the Internet. The wifi signal in the house is shite due to us being posh and having a really big house and thick stone walls.:cool:

ahhh so you can have two hubs but only use one at a time?

I think I'm going to ask my electrician about wiring in cat5 points, I looked at google images of cat 5 leads and they are just ethernet cables right?:oops:

ahhh so you can have two hubs but only use one at a time?

I think I'm going to ask my electrician about wiring in cat5 points, I looked at google images of cat 5 leads and they are just ethernet cables right?:oops:
Go for cat 6 if you're getting new cabling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back