Cabaye taking that penalty....

Status
Not open for further replies.

agreed, could be similar with us mind also but still in the supposed 'worlds best league' should be competitive to the very end....
TBF it's a symptom of the PL "survival" mentality, once a club is safe, I think they just aren't bothered about a couple of extra points anymore. It's obvious from some of the performances that a of players are now on holiday.

TBF it's a symptom of the PL "survival" mentality, once a club is safe, I think they just aren't bothered about a couple of extra points anymore. It's obvious from some of the performances that a of players are now on holiday.
Well including yesterday we had a run of 4 games against clubs with zero to play for in terms of relegation/Europe/title so we should be laughing given all these comments about teams on the beach....... Or does this only apply to teams who are playing the mags?

A player can take a tame shot on target that makes it easier for the keeper.

Robbie fowler did it against arsenal.

Fowler has said repeatedly that he didn't miss on purpose.

Wickham took one earlier in the season I recall. And based on yesterday's penalty, I'm gonna say that no, no he isn't.

He is their penalty taker. Cabaye wasn't playing when Wickham scored the penalty down Stoke.

Well including yesterday we had a run of 4 games against clubs with zero to play for in terms of relegation/Europe/title so we should be laughing given all these comments about teams on the beach....... Or does this only apply to teams who are playing the mags?

Arsenal had nothing to play for?

Keeper was miles off his line aswell
That's what I thought when I looked at the pictures on that other thread. He has his left foot well over the line and is 3-4 yards out of his goal when he saved it.

I've seen Red n White spec syndrome before on SMB but never quite as bad as this seeing as there's an example of both a SAFC and non SAFC to compare! :lol: :lol:

Defoe waited till the keeper moved, Cabaye telegraphed his.
Cabaye did not telegraph his at all and if anything it's a very similar strike to Defoe's if you look at them side by side a few times.
You're the idiot, Defoe has already said he seen the keeper go early so he went the other way.
Defoe is just saying that like many footballers say stuff that isn't quite true. The keeper has barely moved when Defoe plants his left foot to swing his right forward to smack it it plus Defoe is obviously looking at the ball by now. I can't gif it but I've got MOTD recorded and you can see this quite clearly on the TV replay from behind the goal by Defoe's body shape and swing to hit the ball.

There's no way Defoe can change his mind mid swing in milliseconds. Don't they say you should make your mind up before you even take it? It's only players who do the stutter runs like Neymar does that can sometimes see which was a keeper is committing to.

Logon or register to see this image

Darlow is already committing to his dive before the Stoke keeper and going the right way.

How was Defoes worse? At least Defoe blasted it with power, Cabayes was like a back pass to the goalie.
Another myth purported by some on here as I slowed down both pennas from real time to see which was faster and there's little difference, if any. Obviously ignoring it being a goal but Defoe's was 'worse' as it was nearer the centre than Cabaye's so probably more chance of being saved.

So you think it's inconceivable that he fluffed it on purpose?
I won't quote all your posts but if you think that it's possible Cabaye fluffed it on purpose (which aye is a possibility but I don't think he did) then I suppose Defoe could have potentially tried to fluff his penna also seeing as it was virtually the same kick, albeit it slightly closer to the keeper's starting position.

@MackemX I'm not gonna quote your whole post mate.

But Defoe definitely said he seen the keeper go early. I'm not saying the keeper had completely gone, but it's entirely possible Defoe noticed his momentum go that way and just stroked it in the other direction. Seems a strange thing to lie about.

Darlow's well off his line. The ball actually looks to be heading more towards the corner but Darlow came out and narrowed the angle. Should have been re taken.

Defoe saw the keeper move so just blasted it down the middle. It was a cleverer penalty than Cabayes who just hit it to one side of the keeper before he moved and it was easily saved.
Why are we arguing about this anyway? Who gives a toss?

I'm a sick at the Cabaye penalty as I was that Chopra 'pass' regardless of the many pages of discussion, it wasn't right on many levels !

Darlow's well off his line. The ball actually looks to be heading more towards the corner but Darlow came out and narrowed the angle. Should have been re taken.
He's not well off his line, it just looks like he is but aye he is off his line. It's his left foot that is barely a yard over the line with his arms out in front whereas his body is nearer the line with his right foot behind the line. He just dives out at an angle so looks to be further off his line when he eventually saves it. If the Stoke keeper had done this and Defoe scored but then it was asked to be retaken and saved then there would be hell on ;)

Defoe saw the keeper move so just blasted it down the middle. It was a cleverer penalty than Cabayes who just hit it to one side of the keeper before he moved and it was easily saved.
Why are we arguing about this anyway? Who gives a toss?
We are 'arguing' as people are saying stuff like you just did that isn't quite true and others are making out Cabaye telegraphed his shot and tapped it at Darlow ;) Darlow does move before Cabaye hit it and slightly before the Stoke keeper did if you compare the 2 side by side and watch the shooters left foot planting. Cabaye is looking at the ball on his run up so doesn't see Darlow at all and although not clear in this gif, in some other angles you also see Defoe looking at the ball as he goes to hit it.

I can't deny that Defoe claims he saw the keeper move but is it true? The keeper had barely started moving as Defoe plants his left leg to swing his right foot to hit it whereas Darlow moved before Cabaye plants his left foot. Defoe must have the vision of a fly if he can see something like that in a millisecond and then change his shot. This is why I can't fully believe Defoe saw the keeper move enough to even do anything different about his penna @scott934 or else he'd be scoring every penna he takes.

For me, Darlow simply guessed the right way and nowt more and thankfully the Stoke keeper chose the wrong way and Defoe slotted it home! Is it stupid to prefer the penna results be swapped and that Palace had drawn and we got beat? I only say this as then we'd be level with the Mags rather than 1 point behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, with it being Defoe, and with the backlift he takes, in the seconds before contact you would have thought there was a fair chance he was going to smash that with his laces into the left corner.

I think Cabaye pretty much always takes his with his instep - when he goes to plant his foot then the there's only really one place he's likely to try to put that with the inside of his foot.

A small difference, but it could have been the difference between one keeper committing and guessing right, whereas the other hesitated and guessed wrong.

Hardly matters now anyway.

The mags and palace are both very poor, and the game was decided through a couple of dead balls. One executed brilliantly, the other the complete opposite. And we move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back