Bubble trip: Plan of action

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bandit

Striker
Given that the club just informed us of this plan yesterday, and the relatively short period of time before the match, this is way too much for one person to take on and challenge this on their own. However, if you do feel strongly that this bubble shouldn't be allowed to go ahead then we need to collectively - the whole football family - act on this, get answers to unanswered questions and stop this from going ahead.

Firstly we probably need to deal with the unanswered questions / speculation around this. Who's decision this is. This link suggests that it was the clubs idea: http://www.northumbria.police.uk/releasedetails.asp?id=91531, uncertainty about so many aspects of this, when will tickets be issued, pick up points, how did club liaise with fans' representatives, etc.

Secondly we need to try and stop this bubble from going ahead. This really is a step too far.

I've drawn up a (by no means complete) list of relevant parties / stakeholders below. We need to start contacting these to try and stop this. We should aim high here as there are basic fundamental freedoms that we should be able to take for granted that we aren't being afforded. We just need to decide what exactly we say to all of the parties below...

Football related
SAFC
The Premier League
The FA

Political
Northumbria Police
Sunderland City council
Newcastle City council
Local MPs
Prime Ministers office
Home office
e-petition

Support / pressure groups
Football Supporters Federation
SAFC fans representatives
NUFC fans representatives
Liberty

This shouldn't be a thread for debate about the bubble - if you're happy with it then that is your prerogative - this is a call to action for anybody to get involved in overturning this scandalous decision.

Any and all sensible suggestions about a plan of action welcome!

Very sensible idea, and a good start.
Its the logistics of trying to get a sense of momentum and consensus via social media that will be the biggest challenge.
My advice would be for a small group of people to lead the process i.e. draft a standard enquiry/protest letter, put it out for comment briefly, then issue it. Media interest in this could be encouraged - its interesting to note the Sunderland Echo seemed to have pulled comments on their website arising from the story.
Appeal for fans with contact information, and links to movers and shakers - they're out there and we should take advantage of them if offered.
I floated an idea of a mass walk out to the concourse on Sunday during the game, say for 10 minutes. It could catch supporters and the medias eye, and be an opportunity for those not prepared to boycott the game, to show solidarity in an easy and peaceful way.
Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the thread and good luck.

Need some truth from the club which is unlikely to come out. The way nexus are going on it could be that they threatened to charge the club for any cost due to damage/piss. Looks like an easy option for the club and NP.

Anyone got a decent contact at the club who will actually read and respond to complaints? Don't want to send it to some generic email address.

Need some truth from the club which is unlikely to come out. The way nexus are going on it could be that they threatened to charge the club for any cost due to damage/piss. Looks like an easy option for the club and NP.

Only ourselves to blame the behaviour on the Metro is outrageous, pointless complaining as it's down to us

Only ourselves to blame the behaviour on the Metro is outrageous, pointless complaining as it's down to us

Not complaining, if anything I'm adding my penny's worth. It's all nice and well to travel on your own steam to the match but if that acting up and lagging all over the place you can't grumble if that service is removed. In saying that, nothing stopping old rolling stock being put on like back in the 80s for the football special and from what I've seen I don't think SAFC fans behavour is any worse than NUFC's which does bring into question the matter of consistency

Can everyone please ignore biggie. Since he has a small role at the foundation he has since said nothing negative in any reguard about the club and Mean nothing. He seems to think he has become the voice of positivity no matter the situation. Talking out his f***ing arse about Sunderland fans being to blame for this. Absolute bullshit.

Just looking the e-petition option - do you think that we could gather 100K signatures if the word was spread by the FSF and linked to every football forum in the country? I think it's possible. What would be the wording for a petition that could be supported by all football fans / civil liberty groups?

Just looking the e-petition option - do you think that we could gather 100K signatures if the word was spread by the FSF and linked to every football forum in the country? I think it's possible. What would be the wording for a petition that could be supported by all football fans / civil liberty groups?

Make reference to our game, but don't make it seem like a 'were being treated unfairly/np are mag kernts'... It might work if it gets enough coverage.

Good idea, but it would need the support of FSF etc to get it moving quickly. Anyone got any contacts with the FSF or Supports Direct? They'll have national media contacts we could take advantage of. Are ALS able to help? Have they come to an 'editorial' view on this?

Good idea, but it would need the support of FSF etc to get it moving quickly. Anyone got any contacts with the FSF or Supports Direct? They'll have national media contacts we could take advantage of. Are ALS able to help? Have they come to an 'editorial' view on this?
True Faith seem to be on the side of the fans, mag publication, but if we can show there is consensus amongst fans in general and not just us whining then the petition could well be worth trying

What behaviour? Singing and banging on the roof? I've seen no worse than that.

Exactly. I saw much worse en route to The Stone Roses. We have not "brought this upon ourselves" as the large majority of Sunderland fans are well behaved. As in society, there is a minority who will use any event (gig, derby, an Irish Saints Day) to cause trouble. Sorry Biggie, but ignoring your comments on this thread appears the only sensible thing to do from here on in.

I think a petition is a good idea. As is a formal letter, that we could include within the petition website. There is a fan liaison bloke we should cc in to our contact with the club.

I'd back us to get 100k signatures. We'd just need a decent strategy using social media and some clear "tasks" for those who want to get involved.

Chris Waters, supporter liaison officer -

[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back