Billy Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

For anybody who actually watched the match, how did he play?

Haven't been too impressed with PVA so far, would Jones warrent a start on Saturday or will he be a right back that can cover left back?
He looked like a clone of Bardsley playing LB to be honest.
All right footed, kept cutting inside to keep it on his right, defended well, average in terms of pace, gave us nothing going forward.

He's going to be better judged when he plays RB and plays decent opposition .

Nah, he isn't. He's been the most culpable in 2 of the 3 goals we've conceded. So he certainly needs to improve.
I agree, he absolutely needs to improve, but to get somebody who is outstanding going forward, outstanding at defending, makes no mistakes etc. costs an awful lot more than we can pay unfortunately.

We've got a rough diamond perhaps - no doubt he could have defended better (and yes, as a full back, that is his primary job), but surely the point is he is an exciting prospect, bought for an amazingly low price, with potential to improve, our first owned left back since McCartney, young and energetic, exciting going forward.

Phil Bardsley is a better defender and he got slammed on here - unfortunately we haven't got the budget to compete for signatures of complete full backs, but hopefully here we have an attacking, pacey full back whose defensive capabilities can be coached and improved?

Well you're the only one that hasn't been...

Clearly not. You read the full thread?

I dont get this pva cant defend shit is this the latest bandwagon to jump on?
My main concern was something nobody has mentioned yet. He's horribly one footed. 3 desperate times against west Brom he gave the ball away swinging with that foot rather than use his right. Against Man Utd when he was getting closed down quick he struggled to open himself up & forced himself backwards, not to be safe, but because he couldn't go inside.

Since when did Billy Jones becomes PVA

Who said that. I'm comparing a left back from last night from the match before. Fair comparison I'd have thought. If jones was as bad as people have said last night then it's PVA on Saturday.

Last edited:
For anybody who actually watched the match, how did he play?

Haven't been too impressed with PVA so far, would Jones warrent a start on Saturday or will he be a right back that can cover left back?
Can't play left back.

PVA has been a bit unlucky imo. 2 lapses, 2 goals against but that is the Premier League.

Difference between PVA and Jones last night is that PVA learned quickly on Sunday and hardly gave Valencia a sniff after the goal.

Last night crosses were coming in from the left and right and neither full back, particularly Jones, seemed to cotton on to the fact that they needed stopping at source.

I think PVA has potential, but Jones did also show one or two nice touches. I don't think Gus will routinely play him at left back but it gave him a good run out.

I think the squad is taking shape nicely and hopefully there are more signings to come. I am feeling optimistic and that makes me nervous ;)

I dont get this pva cant defend shit is this the latest bandwagon to jump on? hes looked as good as the rest of the defence, bar the mistake against valencia which after he never got a sniff again i thought he was good in defence and his pace is always going to cause issue. Hes the best of the bunch from the summer signings so far imho and i was not expecting much from him.
spot on mate. Valencia got one bloody cross in which Mannone might have cut out or Seb should've tracked Mata for the goal. Pva had cracking game against a seasoned prem winger.

PVA Has not been excellent. A left back, directly at fault for 2 goals within 2 games. He will get better though however, needs to switch on when defending.
I think that sums it up for me. More time in the team and a better understanding of what sort of cover he can expect from those around him will help. IMO he switched off for the goal in the first game and should have done a better job of stopping the cross coming in against Man Utd. He'll learn, improve and we (hopefully) won't see those sort of mistakes to often.

give him a chance at his normal RB position first i hope, (aimed at the majority of us who only listened on radio ) for those who were there, well you are are only barometer

PVA has been as billed ... a handful on the overlap and decent defensively except for the 3-4 defensive lapses per game... some of which yield goals...

Horrible performance in truth. Got skinned alive a few times and and couldn't/wouldn't get up and support as he didn't want the ball on his left foot and killed many attacks by turning back inside. Having two right footers down the left hand side made us horribly unbalanced.

Maybe he needed the game and maybe he was out of position, but the early signs were worrying.

Super Phil has returned?

I agree, he absolutely needs to improve, but to get somebody who is outstanding going forward, outstanding at defending, makes no mistakes etc. costs an awful lot more than we can pay unfortunately.

We've got a rough diamond perhaps - no doubt he could have defended better (and yes, as a full back, that is his primary job), but surely the point is he is an exciting prospect, bought for an amazingly low price, with potential to improve, our first owned left back since McCartney, young and energetic, exciting going forward.

Phil Bardsley is a better defender and he got slammed on here - unfortunately we haven't got the budget to compete for signatures of complete full backs, but hopefully here we have an attacking, pacey full back whose defensive capabilities can be coached and improved?
Bardsley isn't a better defender, he dove into tackles more. That's about it.

Absolutely shit, couldnt keep the ball, couldnt cross the ball, couldnt stop crosses coming in and it started to get embarrasing the amount the winger was cutting inside.

Basically im hoping hes the complete opposite at right back.

Well you're the only one that hasn't been...

He's not like, I'm very worried about PVA, hoping that whoever gets brought in to play left wing will be able to do the defensive work for him because otherwise we're going to ship tons of goals down that left hand side. Nippy attacking full backs are all very well but the lad's a defender, and his defending is suspect to say the least.

Jones was utterly dreadful at Birmingham, a truly awful debut. As others have said was out of position and in a very disjointed, and poor, team, so won't write him off yet. Makes the assertion that he can cover left back in a crisis a worrying one though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back