Billy Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
PVA Has not been excellent. A left back, directly at fault for 2 goals within 2 games. He will get better though however, needs to switch on when defending. By all accounts, Jones was very poor last night.

PVA has been quality so far!
Given he's a defender first and foremost I'd have to say I disagree. Failed to cut out Valencia's cross and went to sleep for wba's second last week. He also gave the ball away numerous times on Sunday. Definitely needs to improve imo. Good at getting forward though so I'm not saying he's completely atrocious or owt.

Given he's a defender first and foremost I'd have to say I disagree. Failed to cut out Valencia's cross and went to sleep for wba's second last week.

I can't say I disagree actually... But apart from those two glaring errors, quality! haha

Looked the weak link last night and that's against a championship side

Exactly this. All of their danger came down that side with him standing off far too much allowing the crosses to come in. Going forwards it's obvious he has no left foot so we created very little in the final third down that side, every time he just got it onto his right foot and passed it back.
After last night I think he may be a back-up at right-back at most but we need more cover for PVA at left-back, Jones isn't the answer there.

He lost the ball alot.

Anybody see that occasion where he misplaced a pass, opposition defender picked it up who subsequently lost it back to Jones who then instantly misplaced another pass

About the 3oth min

On the radio they made quite a few comments on him looking like he was out of position, think hell be very handy on the right though.

Strange you havent rated the dutch kid, thought he did very well against Man Utd.

I dont get this pva cant defend shit is this the latest bandwagon to jump on? hes looked as good as the rest of the defence, bar the mistake against valencia which after he never got a sniff again i thought he was good in defence and his pace is always going to cause issue. Hes the best of the bunch from the summer signings so far imho and i was not expecting much from him.

A
On the radio they made quite a few comments on him looking like he was out of position, think hell be very handy on the right though.

Strange you havent rated the dutch kid, thought he did very well against Man Utd.
at moment jury is out on him until we see him at RB , but based on last night he looks a poor recruit

I dont get this pva cant defend shit is this the latest bandwagon to jump on? hes looked as good as the rest of the defence, bar the mistake against valencia which after he never got a sniff again i thought he was good in defence and his pace is always going to cause issue. Hes the best of the bunch from the summer signings so far imho and i was not expecting much from him.
Sums it up

I don't think It's unfair to say PVA has looked mixed, showed his good side and bad side, no harm in debating it like

I've not been PVA's biggest fan so far.

He's been very suspect defensively and took a while to suss out Valencia. When he did he was pretty good though.

He can be very wasteful in possession at times too. Quite a few times he'll lose the ball trying to over-complicate things. He did it in our half against Utd and fortunately it fell to Rooney who wasted it again.

But is pace is very important to us. I can be a great outlet when we're under the cosh and the lad does have a fair amount of potential. I'd stick with him for now and let him settle.

Welcome to the board, Patrick.

Think that, like Giaccherini, he needs games to get used to the pace of the Premiership.

You can already see he's going to be a quality player once he's up to speed.

I normally am very hard to please, but PvA has done well imo... His tattoos are shite however.

Can't defend for toffee. Some of the tackles he was diving into against Man U were astonishingly bad. Tackles you might expect of a striker but not a left back
Didnt realise he was finnished article and played 100 1st team games , wouldnt say he was class but he is still learning his trade and doing well for a kid

Horrible performance in truth. Got skinned alive a few times and and couldn't/wouldn't get up and support as he didn't want the ball on his left foot and killed many attacks by turning back inside. Having two right footers down the left hand side made us horribly unbalanced.

Maybe he needed the game and maybe he was out of position, but the early signs were worrying.
That pretty much suns up my view from what I saw. Guess that only leaves Roberge who could be an option there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back