Bernard Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.

He was funny like. I saw him at Blackpool and there was this young'un right at the front acting the goat and heckling. Manning turns to him and says "don't worry son, I was like that after my first pint too", that sharp shut the fucker up.

I liked this quote from Clint Eastwood....

"He's onto something because secretly everybody's getting tired of political correctness, kissing up," the acclaimed actor and director said of Trump. "That's the kiss-ass generation we're in right now. We're really in a pussy generation. Everybody's walking on eggshells."

The great comedians were naturals, born and served their time in the heavy Industrial Age, coal mines, steelworks and shipbuilding etc. as well as the thriving working men's club scene of that era, when folks worked hard, played hard and died hard.

They made the best of their lives they could, with little time for all the PC crap we're engulfed with today.

I don't think all of those who told racist jokes were racist or even gave a shit one way or the other, though possibly a few like Manning probably were.

Nevertheless he was a great comedian.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Are you still with that same lass'...?
'No, she died'.
'Oh sorry to hear that, what did she die of'..?
'Gonorrhea'.
'You can't die from Gonorrhea'.
'You can if you give it to me'.

Not true but not racist.

Funny as fuck.
I liked him, he took no prisoners, and EVERYONE got it off of him - irrespective of race creed and colour.

Really? He took the piss out of people for being white, male, northern and working class too? Well I never.

The only comedian where I've been to see him and laughed from start to finish.
Can't imagine id even break out into a chuckle if I went to see Russell Howard.

I saw Chubby Brown once. It was in a TV studio. They told him he couldn't swear or tell any dirty jokes. He did about 10 minutes. He got absolutely zero laughs. They cut it out if the programme.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone has said you can't judge him using today's standards as he (and a lot of others) would be seen as racist.

If you watch Only Fools and Horses there will be things that were acceptable at the time but not now, are we going to strip Sir David Jason of his knighthood?

As someone has said you can't judge him using today's standards as he (and a lot of others) would be seen as racist.

If you watch Only Fools and Horses there will be things that were acceptable at the time but not now, are we going to strip Sir David Jason of his knighthood?

Looks like we'll have to.

His father died in Auschwitz

He fell of a guard tower.
Most decorated man in the war ,in fact it was probably the baubles on his hat that got him killed

He was funny. Whether it was the timing, the look on his face, the jokes he just amde me laugh.

Chubby Brown on the other hand is just abysmal. ie he doesn't make me laugh.

Maybe I don't see the world as it is but I didn't see Bernard as a nasty racist man even though the evidence appears to be the contary.

My mate's wife was from near the Embassy club and used to go to Bernard Manning's Roller Disco which would have been a great name for a band or a HMHB song.
I would put chubbs in with Manning ,a lot of material was PC but very adult and again he had what you need ,timing,the faces ,the ability to read a crowd .

I liked this quote from Clint Eastwood....

"He's onto something because secretly everybody's getting tired of political correctness, kissing up," the acclaimed actor and director said of Trump. "That's the kiss-ass generation we're in right now. We're really in a pussy generation. Everybody's walking on eggshells."

The great comedians were naturals, born and served their time in the heavy Industrial Age, coal mines, steelworks and shipbuilding etc. as well as the thriving working men's club scene of that era, when folks worked hard, played hard and died hard.

They made the best of their lives they could, with little time for all the PC crap we're engulfed with today.

I don't think all of those who told racist jokes were racist or even gave a shit one way or the other, though possibly a few like Manning probably were.

Nevertheless he was a great comedian.
Every joke has a victim apart from the new style comedy where you think that's clever but don't laugh

Last edited:
Was gonna post this until I saw it brilliant stuff. Aherne was brilliant here too. RIP them both.

Richard Wilson (think his name is), what a right miserable twat he was on here.
Can't help but think Manning was playing up to the crowd. They wanted a big ignorant Northern who was stuck in the 70's and he delievered. Aherne played the game as well.

Can't help but think Manning was playing up to the crowd. They wanted a big ignorant Northern who was stuck in the 70's and he delievered. Aherne played the game as well.

Aherne was brilliant in her Mrs Merton days especially with people like Bernard. She had a little cheeky grin before she asked what some would say an offensive (but funny as fuck) question. Wonder how many of the audience from that Bernard episode are dead now! Only seems a few years ago but was 20+.

Saw him in Hebburn years ago - his delivery was immaculate. Very funny if you look beyond the racist stuff, which was getting harder & harder to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back