Baseball Post Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, that's risky. He'll obviously only DH in the AL park and pinch hit at home, but I wouldn't toss a guy into the World Series who's had 6 months off followed by 6 at bats against minor leaguers in live action.

It will be fine. You don't need all 25 men anyway. Unless a game goes 16 innings!

It will be fine. You don't need all 25 men anyway. Unless a game goes 16 innings!

It's not the roster spot that's the issue. It's that hitting major league pitching, especially good major league pitching with effective off-speed pitches, is extremely difficult when you're walking in not having played in a game in 6 months. There's a reason spring training exists, and even more why minor league rehab assignments for players coming off the DL exist. If I were them, I'd rather have DHed Soler and kept the extra pitcher. The real driver here is that Schwarber hits lefty and that the cubs didn't have an obvious additional lefty to put in the lineup.

And never say never - I've been to a playoff game that went 18.

Gutted I have to go to work in Glasgow in the morning so I can't watch game 1. I will have to avoid going on phone/internet until I have a chance to watch when I get home tomorrow night.

Really looking forward to this, especially with Lester on the mound. Hope Schwarber replicates his form from last post season but he's had 6 months off and faced 6 pitches in the fall league so i'm doubtful. But then again Maddon wouldn't put him in if he didn't think he was ready. Go Cubbies!

My son spent about 8 months in Chicago at university he really immersed himself in the American sports scene. Did the Bears, Blackhawks and the Cubs. He has now got BT sport so he can watch the play offs and I have to admit I am getting into it once the boy explained the rules.
The fall classic starts today... should be a good series.

GO CUBS!

Gutted I have to go to work in Glasgow in the morning so I can't watch game 1. I will have to avoid going on phone/internet until I have a chance to watch when I get home tomorrow night.
I'm up at 1:10 watching this, I really need my head examined.
Interesting Tito added Danny Salazar back to the roster following his elbow issues, hope they don't end up having to lean on him.

Yeah, except different and better
tried to watch it on BT a year or two back, but was put off by the commentators who just sealed off statistic after statistic. Perhaps if they did an idiots guide to the game, something like Channel 4 did for American football a wider audience might be engaged.

Game 2 tonight brought forward an hour due to an iffy forecast so gets away just after midnight. Good news as long as the weather holds. Go Cubs - love Arrietta

tried to watch it on BT a year or two back, but was put off by the commentators who just sealed off statistic after statistic. Perhaps if they did an idiots guide to the game, something like Channel 4 did for American football a wider audience might be engaged.
Ah right. Usually when the Blue Jays play there's a guy called Buck Martinez commentating who has a really good voice and a great style. You must have just got a dud :lol:

Ah right. Usually when the Blue Jays play there's a guy called Buck Martinez commentating who has a really good voice and a great style. You must have just got a dud :lol:
BT/ESPN tend to pick up the Fox Sports commentators who are generally clueless about the smaller teams in my experience. I much prefer a local commentator who knows the team and has an obvious rapport.

BT/ESPN tend to pick up the Fox Sports commentators who are generally clueless about the smaller teams in my experience. I much prefer a local commentator who knows the team and has an obvious rapport.
Absolutely agree mate. Stick to the home team commentators I say.

I have to admit that Buck always comes across as the embarrassing uncle you like to keep contained in the spare room at family get togethers but when compared to other commentators he really does fare well.

As for last night, you really can't let Cleveland get ahead in a game. Miller's breaking ball last night was breathtaking. On tv you look at it and think, why the hell are they swinging at that? But it must look so tempting when you see it from the other side of the plate.

Bases loaded and no outs...you have to get it done Cubbies.

I have to admit that Buck always comes across as the embarrassing uncle you like to keep contained in the spare room at family get togethers but when compared to other commentators he really does fare well.

As for last night, you really can't let Cleveland get ahead in a game. Miller's breaking ball last night was breathtaking. On tv you look at it and think, why the hell are they swinging at that? But it must look so tempting when you see it from the other side of the plate.

Bases loaded and no outs...you have to get it done Cubbies.
The guys been on fire, he had a couple of innings like that against the Jays. Was delighted to see him get the MVP in the ACLS championship.

Trevor Bauer opening for the Indians tonight, hope his pinky holds up this time.

Love Buck and Pat. Sportsnet hasn't got the TV rights to the playoffs so that's why you get the Fox/TBS picture feed and commentators

Just caught up now having avoided internet all day. Bit disappointing not to get on the board late on but still a long way to go.

As for the commentators. For anyone who watched on BT last night who were they? Don't know if they were MLB.tv's own guys but they were horrible. Len Casper and Jim Deshaies who normally do the Cubs games are excellent. The Fox crew who did the NLDS and the NLCS were ok. I couldn't work out last night if they were the Indians crew or supposed to be neutral

Just caught up now having avoided internet all day. Bit disappointing not to get on the board late on but still a long way to go.

As for the commentators. For anyone who watched on BT last night who were they? Don't know if they were MLB.tv's own guys but they were horrible. Len Casper and Jim Deshaies who normally do the Cubs games are excellent. The Fox crew who did the NLDS and the NLCS were ok. I couldn't work out last night if they were the Indians crew or supposed to be neutral
Certainly wasn't the Indians crew, Matt Underwood and Rick Manning work for Sportstime Ohio which is now owned by Fox.
According to the links from the MLB the commentators are;
Working for Fox Sports.

Incidentally the worst commentary I heard was the TBS clowns covering the ALCS, I think they mentioned the Indians in passing about a dozen times in the Red Sox games and same again in the first three games v the Jays. They clearly didn't have much background at all on the Indians.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back