Ban on lorries in London

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's the rule on pelican crossings?

When I passed my test (many years ago!), I'm sure I was told you must never stop on a pelican crossing. If I'm in traffic, I'll stop before the crossing and then wait until there is a car length space after it before I drive over.

Noticed in London yesterday that everyone seems to ignore this and stops on the crossings. When the lights changed, the pedestrians had to zig zag among the vehicles to use the crossing. If I'd had a pram or wheelchair with me, I'd have not been able to cross the road.

When I passed my test (many years ago!), I'm sure I was told you must never stop on a pelican crossing. If I'm in traffic, I'll stop before the crossing and then wait until there is a car length space after it before I drive over.

Noticed in London yesterday that everyone seems to ignore this and stops on the crossings. When the lights changed, the pedestrians had to zig zag among the vehicles to use the crossing. If I'd had a pram or wheelchair with me, I'd have not been able to cross the road.

But you survived and that's the main thing.

You're correct. A lot of drivers ignore that though. I've had one driver who was part on/part off the crossing pull up close enough to the vehicle in front that there wasn't room for a pedestrian between the vehicles after he saw me press the button.

Everyone ignores everything here. Mainly because a decent % of road users passed their tests in a dusty hell hole.

Awareness courses dealing with other road users.

There's plenty examples on this thread of cyclists bad behavior. Education could reduce it.

Perhaps cyclists should be insured like other road users?
I am thanks. I've a car and motorbike licence too.

You're correct. A lot of drivers ignore that though. I've had one driver who was part on/part off the crossing pull up close enough to the vehicle in front that there wasn't room for a pedestrian between the vehicles after he saw me press the button.
Should've went over his bonnet.

Everyone ignores everything here. Mainly because a decent % of road users passed their tests in a dusty hell hole.

I am thanks. I've a car and motorbike licence too.

Good for you.

So do you think cyclists can't do anything more to help keep themselves safe, and it's all the hgv drivers fault?

when even the Think campaign are a bunch of bucknuts, do we really expect the public to be any better

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/09...ticised-blaming-cyclist-violent-hgv-collision

The reaction to that is entirely over the top, spectacularly so. A huge over analysis which distracts from the main message:

A third of lorry/cycle collisions occur at left turns. Many cyclists do sit inside lorries and buses and other big vehicles at these turns.

Logon or register to see this image

The cyclist is at the back wheel of the lorry there but is somehow on the inside of the lorry at the turn.

The issue isn't the lorry overtaking it's the cyclist desperately trying to keep up going round the corner.

HANG BACK

Last edited:
The reaction to that is entirely over the top, spectacularly so. A huge over analysis which distracts from the main message:

A third of lorry/cycle collisions occur at left turns. Many cyclists do sit inside lorries and buses and other big vehicles at these turns.

Logon or register to see this image

The cyclist is at the back wheel of the lorry there but is somehow on the inside of the lorry at the turn.

The issue isn't the lorry overtaking it's the cyclist desperately trying to keep up going round the corner.

HANG BACK

in the example above, whats stopping the lorry from not overtaking?

its a 20 mph zone, on a flat road - from the picture the bike is a flat bar road/hybrid so the cyclist wont be far off doing the 20mph speed limit

while i agree that many cyclists take too many risks by not hanging back in the picture above the lorry has gained about 5 seconds on his journey but killed a cyclist doing it

its a 20 mph zone, on a flat road - from the picture the bike is a flat bar road/hybrid so the cyclist wont be far off doing the 20mph speed limit

while i agree that many cyclists take too many risks by not hanging back in the picture above the lorry has gained about 5 seconds on his journey but killed a cyclist doing it

The lorry is just about past the cyclist and then you see him speed up to get around the corner. Looks like he doesn't indicate either.

The lorry shouldn't overtake but the cyclist shouldn't speed up to try and catch up either.

Of course the militant cycling brigade will see this as a personal sleight against them rather than let the message be heard that a third of cyclist lorry collisions happen at left turns.

That behavior is a massive issue for cyclists in London, particularly with bus lanes.

The lorry is just about past the cyclist and then you see him speed up to get around the corner. Looks like he doesn't indicate either.

The lorry shouldn't overtake but the cyclist shouldn't speed up to try and catch up either.

Of course the militant cycling brigade will see this as a personal sleight against them rather than let the message be heard that a third of cyclist lorry collisions happen at left turns.
Maybe I am misreading this but how can you tell any of this from a still?

EDIT: is this a still from a video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back