Back Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

The concern IMO is the reports that before signing a new defender we need to wait to sell the clown who we don't want, who we haven't even signed yet, who we're about to spend a couple of million on, plus agent fees, plus wages, when only one person (no longer at the club) rated him, because it was one of our really clever ways around FFP. The recruitment shambles goes on.

We badly need two more even after we sign Coates.

We won't sign 4 new defenders.

Obviously I don't know all of the FFP "rules", but I believe the "it's a clever way around FFP" thing that is often stated on here about Vergini and Alvarez is a myth.

Firstly, player contacts will be capitalised in the accounts and written down over the length of the contract so the full fee won't effect the profit and loss account, but a loan fee would. Therefore if we signed Vergini for £2M over 4 years, the amount going to the P&L each year will be the same as a 1 year loan with a £500k loan fee.

Even if a transfer fee was written straight off, if the contract had a "forced to buy" clause in it based on criteria that looked highly likely to be met, any auditor worth their salt would insist on a provision in the accounts, which would have the same effect on the P&L as if the club had signed the player outright.

I don't mean to specifically shoot you down, I've just seen it on here a lot and could finally be bothered to bring it up.

We currently have Brown, O'Shea, PVA, Jones, probably Coates, and perhaps Vergini. t?

God forbid that these are anything other than squad members initially. Coates & Jones did OK at the end of the season but before April they were pretty awful.

God forbid that these are anything other than squad members initially. Coates & Jones did OK at the end of the season but before April they were pretty awful.

If you took the Southampton game out of the equation we didn't actually have that bad of a defensive record last season, I think we ended up with one of the best away defensive records in the league.

Our problem has been and still is ball retention and scoring goals.

IF we can we should be looking to bring in Byram, Coates, Vlaar and Van Dijk

Brown and O'Shea are getting on now and I would not be surprised if this ends up being their last season at the club. 5 centre backs might be quite a lot to have but with Coates at 2m and Vlaar available on a free if we can get those two and our long term target Van Dijk then we will of done fantastic business sorting out our defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back