Amazing goals from unexpected Sunderland players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was at Molineux for this one. Great build up play too. When it came back to Bally I remember thinking "don't shoot!!". Fortunately he did!

Dickie Ord midweek against Fulham (I think). The whole Fullwell end shouted shoot so he did and scored an absolute screamer. For the rest of the season everytime he got the ball in the opposite end there would be a cry of shoot followed by a ball sailing miles over the bar

Got to be Cecil Irwin for those old enough. Never scored before and went on a run from inside our half, went past what seemed half the oppo side and slotted it home. Those with a better memory will say who it was against. Still laugh about it!

You're getting it mixed up with Dick Malone's agianst Portsmouth.

Cec only scored once and that was a punt from the half way line which got caught in the wind and sailed over the goalie..

Was it Stephen Wright who ran the length of the pitch to score for us once? Circa 2003.

Possibly against Watford

Steve Doyle scoring a screamer into the net at the Roker End, so uncharacteristic it was surreal. Looked at the stats from his time and it was either 87/88 or 88/89, he only scored a single goal in each of those two seasons and played more than 30 games a season.

That was obviously his best and most memorable one, but he scored quite a few decent goals for us and was an important player to us in the early Keane days.

His goal at home to Spurs in the 15 point season was a lot more unexpected however.
He scored a cracking goal against Wolves too

Was at Molineux for this one. Great build up play too. When it came back to Bally I remember thinking "don't shoot!!". Fortunately he did!

I was there that day as well I am sure he scored a screamer one night at Oldham maybe the same season and the diving header against Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back