A nice little read about mining and the pits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good read that.

My Grandpa worked down the pit. He used to be in charge of the dynamite. They would drill holes in the seams, he'd fill it full of dynamite, light it and run like hell! Madness in these days of health and safety.

One day they'd not put enough props in and the explosion caused some of the roof to fall on him shattering his legs and pelvis. He said he would have been written off but luckily his foreman knew he was good at maths and English and managed to get him an admin job in the stores office when he'd recovered. He was pleased he stuck in at school and encouraged us lot to work hard at school.

My Dad was and he was also the first person in the family to get a degree. My Grandma was so proud and insisted on buying his graduation gown for him and mentioned it to all and sundry at every available opportunity :D I wore the same gown for my graduation ceremony.

Because i was going to work at the pit i never took one single exam ( took a slap from a couple of me teachers ). Didnt need to because all the familys blokes worked there and it was a case of "whos your fatha son?" i actually got an interview but the wheels were already in motion to close them :(

Gutted then and still gutted now.

Loved that marra .. cheers

I was the first generation in my family to not work at the pit, thanks to bitch features, Thatcher.

Was always a dream of mine to work at the pit,( weird i know ) like me oldest brother, fatha, granda ect.

Proper blokes doing a proper job to feed the family
I'm the same. When i left school i was going there but got an apprenticeship at djb (caterpillar now) and my dad didn't want me to go even though he loved the place. always been a regret for me as well that i'm the first one not to go there.
Closest i came was going to see the medic at horden with my dad, usually for when i'd fell off my bike.
great read btw @Frijj

Mams family where all pitmen (officials at blackhall) and we kids where all told that going underground was not an option

Because pits were such a big part of our heritage does anyone feel a sense of disappointment that they've never worked down there?

Think I do even though it would have been absolute hell. The camaraderie must have been tremendous.

Because pits were such a big part of our heritage does anyone feel a sense of disappointment that they've never worked down there?

Think I do even though it would have been absolute hell. The camaraderie must have been tremendous.

Aye I'm well jeal me like. Would have been absolute bantz imo.

Excellent piece that, reminds me some of the stories I heard from the old boys at teh Bowling club about my own Grandad.
He would never talk about it, but he had a dark blue L shaped scar on his forehead from where a prop gave way, they carried him 3 miles back to the village and no-one thought he'd make it, minister was sent for and all sorts.
He was back at work within 2 weeks to put food on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back