A Moment Of True Skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the fundamental difference between the likes of Fletch and Altidore. Growing up, I bet there was no doubt Fletch wasn't going to be anything other than a footballer.

Altidore, on the other hand, I imagine was good at a lot of sports at school/college when he was growing up and at some point he made the decision to "major" in "soccer". Ok, he's somehow managed to make a good living out of it but it still seems like it was the wrong choice. Watching him for just 10-20 minutes and you can see he isn't a natural footballer.

We've had some terrible centre forwards over the years but I'm struggling to think of one who looked so out of place on a football pitch as Altidore...

There's an art to cushioning the ball like Fletcher did.

If i was developing a training program for Altidore i'd stick him in front of a net or wall and start kicking footballs towards him at pace till he developed cotton wool feet. Mark out a circle or similar with a rope and Altidore inside, the ball not being allowed to leave the circle. I'd just blaze away getting faster and closer, or the circle getting smaller, till he either mastered it or gave up.

I think some people are more naturally gifted than others at this but it is a skill that can definitely be improved. It's a bread and butter requirement for most footballers, and team sportsmen for that matter.

In terms of touches, movement and passing he is the best Sunderland striker i've seen since SKP.

He's unfortunate to be playing in the least creative Sunderland side in years but we are getting there.

Great performance yesterday, would only have been topped off with a goal.

How about the run he made for the goal ?

Was like he was on pills. Galloping to get up. So many things had to happen for that goal it was class. Johnson riding those 2 fouls, ref giving advantage twice, fletcher belting the left, buckley down the right, larssons move to take sissoko away and free the space, great touches from fletch and buckley and a great finish. Thought i was watching Real Madrid at first glance.

If i was developing a training program for Altidore i'd stick him in front of a net or wall and start kicking footballs towards him at pace till he developed cotton wool feet. Mark out a circle or similar with a rope and Altidore inside, the ball not being allowed to leave the circle. I'd just blaze away getting faster and closer, or the circle getting smaller, till he either mastered it or gave up.

I think some people are more naturally gifted than others at this but it is a skill that can definitely be improved. It's a bread and butter requirement for most footballers, and team sportsmen for that matter.

I think you might give up before he did...:)

Incredible to think that this isn't some raw teenager with a bit of potential who has just made it into the first team squad that we are talking in such terms about - it's actually a 25 year old who the club unbelievably spent £6-7m on...

I think you might give up before he did...:)

Incredible to think that this isn't some raw teenager with a bit of potential who has just made it into the first team squad that we are talking in such terms about - it's actually a 25 year old who the club unbelievably spent £6-7m on...

Or run out of balls.:)

Reactions: JTF
Some of his touches yesterday were sublime. Simple measured controlled and effective. Unheralded by and large but showed Altidore up for the clumsy lumbering oaf that he is. Chalk and very mouldy stale cheese. Hope he stays fit.... if he does he and we will finish the season strongly

love how this thread has become an anti-Altidore one, even though he didn't play yesterday, and despite the fact that no other player on the team has showed any ability to control the ball like Fletcher yesterday. Some people just can't help themselves. Pathetic really.

love how this thread has become an anti-Altidore one, even though he didn't play yesterday, and despite the fact that no other player on the team has showed any ability to control the ball like Fletcher yesterday. Some people just can't help themselves. Pathetic really.

Vergini and Seb both have very nice touches too.

Vergini fucked up one time when he almost took it over two of them... would have been one of my favourite derby moments but almost led to a goal. I suppose that's going to happen sometimes, he does showboat a bit. Love him though.

Him and Bony will be missing from Swansea for the whole of January. Big miss
If we get Bony and Ki...think we would be challenging Chelsea and beat City on a regular basis. Both are what will make Swansea and top 10 team for years to come. They are one or 2 players away from like of Everton or Spurs...top 8.

If you watch Ki closely he often has the ball right under control almost touching his feet, a bit like Steed used to do. That means he's already to use one of his options in a micro second, there's no delay as he adjusts. This forces the opposition to stay honest.
If you watch Ki, he also does it with his head up. He controls the ball by touch, not eyesight. This means he's aware of his surroundings and options.

It was great to watch Fletcher's control yesterday.
Exactly...first time I agreed with Piston really. Ki is sublime and wish he comes back to us. Rather Ki than Ji.....

Near the halfway line. Ball pulled down out of the air. A few touches, feints and changes of direction and a simple pass to a team mate.

It won't get coverage like the goals, missed chances or controversial incidents but it was a moment of true skill. It was the type of thing you'd pay your money and gladly wait 89 minutes for Dimitar Berbatov or Frank Worthington to do.

The perpetrator of this magic moment? Steven Fletcher.
i absolutely agree i noticed that too and the lad in the pub next to me did and we both said superb skill from fletcher - in fact my lad was remarking on that earlier this morning - he was superb just needs to get a few more goals and he'll be unstoppable

Was like he was on pills. Galloping to get up. So many things had to happen for that goal it was class. Johnson riding those 2 fouls, ref giving advantage twice, fletcher belting the left, buckley down the right, larssons move to take sissoko away and free the space, great touches from fletch and buckley and a great finish. Thought i was watching Real Madrid at first glance.
Say what you like about Poyet but we've scored some fantastic goals since he's been here. We were the width of the woodwork from scoring the ultimate team goal away to man utd in the league last season anarl.

As epitomised by Bergkamp, he was good, and still worked at it.

Absolutely spot on. Fletcher was tremendous, and showed what a class player he really is.

Yesterday, one of the Mags at work picked that moment out as typifying the difference between the 2 teams. 'You were far better up front than us. Why haven't we got a player like Fletcher?' he said.

Keep him fit, give him the service and he will be a huge player for us. On that note I hope Alvarez gets a start on Friday.

As epitomised by Bergkamp, he was good, and still worked at it.

I remember one game, i think it was a world cup, the ball came almost over Bergkamp's shoulder from 40 yards and his first touch cushioned the ball straight onto his foot.
It's the art of cushioning the ball so there's virtually no hard or sharp resistance. It's an almost instantaneous stop with no harsh movements.

Berbatov could do it, he did it at the SOL against Fulham on opening day. The ball came straight down out of the sky from 50 yards and never left his foot. People around me stood up and applauded.:)
Another who could do it was, believe it or not, Frank Worthington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back