A Moment Of True Skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It shows just how poor Jozy is when you see Fletchers first touch and how he can lay it off

Brilliant yesterday

Near the halfway line. Ball pulled down out of the air. A few touches, feints and changes of direction and a simple pass to a team mate.

It won't get coverage like the goals, missed chances or controversial incidents but it was a moment of true skill. It was the type of thing you'd pay your money and gladly wait 89 minutes for Dimitar Berbatov or Frank Worthington to do.

The perpetrator of this magic moment? Steven Fletcher.
he had a cracking game and could have had a couple.

Natural footballer seems to come easy, if we could play someone up front with him he'd score a bag full.

All due respect to Gomez, but I was thinking how that game would have gone with a CM of Catts, Larsoon and Ki.
Ki really does have the eye for the early through ball ( as does Gomez on many occasions ) but he does it with more intensity/speed

If you watch Ki closely he often has the ball right under control almost touching his feet, a bit like Steed used to do. That means he's already to use one of his options in a micro second, there's no delay as he adjusts. This forces the opposition to stay honest.
If you watch Ki, he also does it with his head up. He controls the ball by touch, not eyesight. This means he's aware of his surroundings and options.

It was great to watch Fletcher's control yesterday.

If you watch Ki closely he often has the ball right under control almost touching his feet, a bit like Steed used to do. That means he's already to use one of his options in a micro second, there's no delay as he adjusts. This forces the opposition to stay honest.
If you watch Ki, he also does it with his head up. He controls the ball by touch, not eyesight. This means he's aware of his surroundings and options.

It was great to watch Fletcher's control yesterday.
Him and Bony will be missing from Swansea for the whole of January. Big miss

All due respect to Gomez, but I was thinking how that game would have gone with a CM of Catts, Larsoon and Ki.
Ki really does have the eye for the early through ball ( as does Gomez on many occasions ) but he does it with more intensity/speed

This season Ki is called Ricky

Near the halfway line. Ball pulled down out of the air. A few touches, feints and changes of direction and a simple pass to a team mate.

It won't get coverage like the goals, missed chances or controversial incidents but it was a moment of true skill. It was the type of thing you'd pay your money and gladly wait 89 minutes for Dimitar Berbatov or Frank Worthington to do.

It was beautiful - I was hoping someone would put a clip of it up.

Natural footballer seems to come easy, if we could play someone up front with him he'd score a bag full.

That is the fundamental difference between the likes of Fletch and Altidore. Growing up, I bet there was no doubt Fletch wasn't going to be anything other than a footballer.

Altidore, on the other hand, I imagine was good at a lot of sports at school/college when he was growing up and at some point he made the decision to "major" in "soccer". Ok, he's somehow managed to make a good living out of it but it still seems like it was the wrong choice. Watching him for just 10-20 minutes and you can see he isn't a natural footballer.

We've had some terrible centre forwards over the years but I'm struggling to think of one who looked so out of place on a football pitch as Altidore...

Well Piston you have surprised me, have a like!

Edit: And Fletcher doesn't have the tackle that Frank did, hardly a fair comparison!

I think Fletch has looked back to his best since Crystal Palace away, I think it was, other than the couple of games he's missed/struggled with because of the back injury he picked up.

A few months ago he was giving away just about every ball and looked terrible, unbelievable the turnaround he's had.

I remember that moment. Was sublime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back