Portsmouth FC: An away supporter's guide
RTG’s totally and utterly (we hope) indispensable guide to this season’s away grounds.
THE OPPO – Portsmouth FC
DATE – Saturday 22 April
KO TIME – 3pm
THE GROUND – Fratton Park – click here and here for maps of the area - the red circle shows where the ground is.
Away supporters are accommodated in the Intercash Milton end of the ground - however this is open to the elements....no roof at all. The legroom's not great, either - it was terracing that's been converted to a seated area.
Tickets are still on sale, subject to availability - £30 adults, £22 senior citizens, £19 juniors.
GOING BY CAR?
From Sunderland take the A690 then A1/A1(M) southbound then M1 southbound.
Leave M1 at jcn 6A and follow signs for M25 and Heathrow Airport.
Leave M25 at jcn 12 and take M3.
Stay on M3 until it runs out and take M27 towards Portsmouth.
When the M27 runs out take the A27 then A2030 shortly afterwards.
After 3 miles you'll see the ground on your right.
Mostly on-street parking, so beware of 'residents only' schemes or you'll be paying to get your car unclamped before you set off for the long drive home.
GOING BY TRAIN?
Get the train from Newcastle or Durham down to Kings Cross, transfer by tube to Waterloo, then catch a connection to Portsmouth:
* The 6am GNER from Newcastle gets you to Kings Cross at 9.25am, then the 10.30 South West Trains service from Waterloo gets to Havant at 11.48, then you get on the bus (rail replacement service) which gets you to Portsmouth at 12.27pm.
* The 7am GNER from Newcastle gets you to Kings Cross at 10.29am, then the 11.30 South West Trains service from Waterloo gets to Havant at 12.48, then you get on the bus (rail replacement service) which gets you to Portsmouth at 1.27pm.
Coming home: there are NO services that will get you back to the north east on the same night - see our "Stopping Over" section for places to kip.
Train times and ticket prices available online at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk or www.thetrainline.com.
SPREAD YOUR WINGS...
You could even fly - if you're feeling flush, book a flight from Newcastle to Southampton on FlyBe, and hire a car or book a taxi for the remaining 20 mile drive to Portsmouth.
* Travelodge Portsmouth, Garfield Rd - 0870 191 1707
* Innkeeper's Lodge, Copnor Rd - 02392 654645
* Premier Travel Inn, Cosham - 08701 977213
* Holiday Inn Express, Gunwharf Keys - 0870 400 9670
ALS coaches leave at 6am on the day and it’ll cost you £28 – call 0191 5654422 for details.
WHERE TO DRINK
For away supporters, the Connaught Arms comes recommended, as does the Good Companion and The Devonshire. Avoid the Milton Arms, Shepherd's Crook and Newcombe Arms.
LEND US A FIVER I’M OUT OF CASH
There's an RBS cash machine at the nearby Tesco on Goldsmith Avenue, and a Nationwide Building Society one at the Total garage on Milton Road.
Credits: Pompey official website, National Rail, Internet Ground Guide, www.multimap.com, Link.